Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

In How Many Photographs or Movies Do You Believe You Appear?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2005, 1:19 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums
Original Poster

Every time I travel, I notice that I happen to be in someone’s photograph or movie, whether by accident or by chance. This can happen once, several, or many times within a day.

It occasionally causes me to stop and think for a moment that hundreds — perhaps thousands — of copies of my image, still and moving, may be all over the world in the homes of many strangers and unknown people. That is rather amazing.

In how many photographs or movies do you believe you appear? How do you feel about it? Do you even care?
Old Jun 3, 2005, 1:49 pm

Programs: UA/*A nobody, Bonvoy Plat, SW A-list, Hertz 5* (but who isn't???)
Originally Posted by Canarsie
In how many photographs or movies do you believe you appear? How do you feel about it? Do you even care?
In our family, I am the photographer. So my wife and daughter appear in hundreds of pictures per major trip. Me, maybe in one or two of pictures from our own camera, as she usually doesn't pry the camera away from me.

As far as me/us appearing in other vacationers or travelers highlight reels, I have hammed it up on occasion when in the lens line of fire, just for fun. They probably get a laugh of that goofy guy on the edge of the frame. Or they are photoshopping me to oblivion. Depends on the situation I guess .

In the end, it's mostly me volunteering to take the shot for someone else with their camera, lest they have one of their own party missing from their group shots.
Old Jun 3, 2005, 1:51 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Every time I travel, I notice that I happen to be in someone’s photograph or movie, whether by accident or by chance. This can happen once, several, or many times within a day.

It occasionally causes me to stop and think for a moment that hundreds — perhaps thousands — of copies of my image, still and moving, may be all over the world in the homes of many strangers and unknown people. That is rather amazing.
Funny, I've thought about this before too. I suspect I'm in hundreds or thousands of people's snapshots and videos ... much as so many strangers are in mine.
Old Jun 3, 2005, 2:38 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Husband AA EXP (yeah!!) Hya Dia, Marriott
15 years ago, there's an entire Japanese tour group of 40 or so elderly people who all asked to have their picture taken with me at Mt. Cook & then they wanted all kinds of group shots & I nearly missed my plane. They seemed more 'rural' Japanese & I thought it was because I am tall & blond. When I boarded, the FA looked at my ticket & said "you're not Lindsay Wagner." I agreed with her that I wasn't & asked why. She'd been told by the ground crew that the Bionic Woman was there & getting on her flight - guess they told the tourists the same thing. I picture them all getting home & telling their kids "here I am with the Bionic Woman," & the (adult) kids saying, "that's not the Bionic Woman - she's a fraud" - it's kindof embarrassing although I'll probably never see these people again!

Had the same thing happen in Waikiki years later & I knew to immediately tell them I wasn't who they thought I was - and save myself from posing for endless photos.

My brother looks ALOT like George Clooney & he just signs the autographs & smiles - guess he's never been confronted with a large tour group!

Last edited by brendamc; Jun 3, 2005 at 2:40 pm
Old Jun 3, 2005, 5:06 pm

Someone in Indonesia has a video of me singing "Home on the Range" on a tour bus in New Zealand. The driver had someone from each country represented sing a song.
Old Jun 3, 2005, 6:37 pm

Programs: Free Agent
Did you ever consider that you're being targeted by foreign intelligence services?

Last edited by Condition One; Jun 3, 2005 at 6:39 pm
Old Jun 3, 2005, 6:41 pm
jfe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kicked out of all of them
I am sure I appear in hundreds of photos, then again I am sure they have removed me digitally

I am also the photographer of the family, so there are tons of pictures of my family all over the world. I cannot even prove I was there

Then again, I am quite ugly, so not being in pictures is quite normal for me
Old Jun 3, 2005, 6:48 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Condition One
Did you ever consider that you're being targeted by foreign intelligence services?
They can’t be all that intelligent if they are actually targeting me...
Old Jun 3, 2005, 8:09 pm

Programs: Nothing fits in my travelling wallet any more...
They can’t be all that intelligent if they are actually targeting me...
Unless there's something about you even you don't know.
Old Jun 4, 2005, 4:12 am
PJK

Programs: KL/AF FB Plat, Hilton Silver, La Quinta Gold
I did once wonder: if you stack all holiday-photo's lying around in Japan on one pile; how large would that be?

And indeed: how often would I be in there?
I once had a 'session' in Kuala Lumpur where after the one guy, loads of Asians on Chinese New Year (I was in the park) wanted to be in a picture with me. (Not that I'm particularly handsome, just tall & blond with blue eyes)

And one Philipino girl in Hong Kong once tapped me on the shoulder; when I turned arond she grabbed my hand and her friend took a photo of the two of us like we were a couple on holiday...
Old Jun 4, 2005, 4:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by brendamc
Had the same thing happen in Waikiki years later & I knew to immediately tell them I wasn't who they thought I was - and save myself from posing for endless photos.
You mean to tell me that I didn't meet Lindsay Wagner in Waikiki that one day!
Old Jun 4, 2005, 5:13 am

Programs: DL DM
Lol!
Great thread Canarsie.

It's something I've often thought about and have even grown a little paranoid about.

Sure sometimes it varies from Japanese tourists, to kids with pierced faces, to Long Island day-trippers to families with on summer break, but they're there.

Sure, they claim to be tourists visitng "The Crossroads of the World," but I know that there is no WAY that so many people could want to walk around bumping into each other, staring at big lighted panels and eating at Bubba Gump's house of shrimp....

Even when I leave the country, they have agents snapping my picture wherever I go!

It's now clear to me that it's one big agency operation to document my every move!! The whole thing!!!

<deep breath>

But you know, I must have said 1000 times, during 10+ years of walking to work in Times Square, that the crowds of tourists were driving me crazy! But joke's on them, see? Cuz I'm perfectly sane! And I KNOW WHAT THEY'RE UP TO!!

Old Jun 4, 2005, 5:16 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by PJK
I once had a 'session' in Kuala Lumpur where after the one guy, loads of Asians on Chinese New Year (I was in the park) wanted to be in a picture with me. (Not that I'm particularly handsome, just tall & blond with blue eyes)
........ and they thought you were Lee Majors
Old Jun 4, 2005, 7:02 am

Reminds me of the seinfeld episode...
Old Jun 4, 2005, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
I had this photo taken with my girlfriend in San Francisco by AOL and I wondered who the hell the person in the background is! They weren't only just caught walking by but appear to be posing!
http://img105.echo.cx/img105/70/whothehell8cq.jpg

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.