Wiki Posts
Search

Can I buy a Metrocard at LGA?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2005, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver
Can I buy a Metrocard at LGA?

Flying to New York City (LaGuardia Airport) on USAirways. Is there a newstand or a vending machine that sells Metrocards, either at that terminal or elsewhere at the airport?
Old Mar 29, 2005, 8:16 pm

Programs: AC, NW, US
I flew to LGA on US last December and I didn't see a Metrocard vendor in the terminal. The bus stop outside the terminal doesn't have a Metrocard vending machine. Also, I didn't know that the bus driver doesn't accept dollar bills so I had to ask a fellow passenger for change.
Old Mar 29, 2005, 8:28 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, DL Silver, UA Gold, *A Gold, OW Emerald
I don't know about a Metrocard but when I fly into Lga I usually purchase a "One Day Fun Pass" at the Hudson News on the baggage claim level of my arrival terminal. If that vendor is out of them I just ride the shuttle to another terminal and buy one there before heading into Manhattan on the bus/subway.
Old Mar 29, 2005, 8:54 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
The $7 Fun Pass is a MetroCard, so if Hudson News sells them they'll probably also sell $10 and $20 value cards---a better deal unless you'll be taking 4 or more subway/bus rides per day during your stay in the city.

Good to know that they're available at LGA, as not only is it hard to get $2.00 change for the bus, the MetroCard gives you a free transfer to the subway.
Old Mar 30, 2005, 11:25 am

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Be aware that Metrocards cannot be purchased anywhere in the Delta/NW terminal. If you are using that terminal (D - isn't it?), you have to go over to the US Airways terminal to purchase a pass.
Old Mar 30, 2005, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
When I flew in last July (AA - Main terminal - Concourse D), none of the newsstands airside had them, but after leaving security, the Hudson News in the corner of the food court (upstairs) did.
Old Mar 30, 2005, 1:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If there is a Hudson News in a terminal, they should be selling Metrocards.
Old Mar 30, 2005, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by wahooflyer
The $7 Fun Pass is a MetroCard, so if Hudson News sells them they'll probably also sell $10 and $20 value cards---a better deal unless you'll be taking 4 or more subway/bus rides per day during your stay in the city.

Good to know that they're available at LGA, as not only is it hard to get $2.00 change for the bus, the MetroCard gives you a free transfer to the subway.
My experience with the Hudson News shop at the LGA Marine Air Terminal (Delta Shuttle) is that ONLY passes are sold (Fun Pass and Weekly Pass IIRC) -- NOT cash value Metrocards. This can be rather irritating for those of us who use cash value Metrocards exclusively, and happen to need a refill after traveling.

At JFK, the Airtrain end terminals (Jamaica and Howard Beach) sell all types of Metrocards.
Old Mar 30, 2005, 4:04 pm
isi

Originally Posted by fastflyer
ONLY passes are sold (Fun Pass and Weekly Pass IIRC) -- NOT cash value Metrocards
I don't think this is LGA specific -- I believe the MTA has stopped allowing third parties to sell anything but the passes.
Old Mar 30, 2005, 8:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DavidDTW
Be aware that Metrocards cannot be purchased anywhere in the Delta/NW terminal. If you are using that terminal (D - isn't it?), you have to go over to the US Airways terminal to purchase a pass.

Where in the US Terminal are the passes sold?
Old Mar 30, 2005, 8:34 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
According to the lookup on the mat site (mta.info, use Laguardia as the street address, Flushing, NY as the city and state)

HUDSON NEWS
LA GUARDIA AIR PORT
MAIN TERMINAL, QUEEN NY

and

HUDSON NEWS
LA GUARDIA AIR PORT
U. S. AIR TERMINAL, QUEEN NY

Sell the $10 and $20 cards, and

PARADIES LAGUARDIA INC
LAGUARDIA AIR PORT
DELTA FLGHT CTR, QUEEN NY

Sells the $5 airtrain and $10 card, though not sure why they would sell the airtrain card, but it's the MTA.
Old Apr 9, 2005, 8:08 pm
Original Poster

Bumping this topic back to the top to thank those of you who responded to my question, and to tell those who are interested what I discovered on my trip to LGA last week. In the US terminal, the Hudson News stand is in the baggage claim area. It sells all of the subway/bus passes mentioned in this thread, including the 7 day unlimited-ride Metrocard.
Old Jun 21, 2005, 9:32 pm

A few dumb questions...

Is the $10 metrocard a card with $12 value sold for $10, or is it just $10 in value?

Can you buy them with credit cards there? Or is Hudson's cash only?
Old Jun 21, 2005, 9:34 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
It's $12 value for $10 and, yes, you can use your credit card to purchase.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 6:59 am

Programs: AA Gold, MR Plat
Bumping this to see if anyone can confirm or deny that the above replies are still valid. Will by arriving at LGA tonight via Airtran (assuming this is main terminal?). The Hudson News stand will be in the baggage claim area? and they will sell the 7 day unlimited pass?? Thanks in advance for your replies.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.