Signs you travel too much. [Archived]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Signs you travel too much. [Archived]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2004, 1:12 pm
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
Originally Posted by ComAirKid
Here's what I compiled so far. Feel free to add your insight.
  • There is competetion on who got the most hotel points for the ...
See: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=352554

We're sicko's
Old Nov 12, 2004, 3:22 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I know I travel too much because the first thing any of my friends ask me when I call them or they call me is "What city/country are you in now?" and it usually takes me a minute to think about it and respond.
Old Nov 12, 2004, 3:31 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
You feel bad that the waiter doesn't understand your much-practised Dutch. And then you realise you're in Hungary.

You start to refer to all foreign currencies as 'Dinar'. "How much is that?" "400 Czech Dinar".

You have to arrive at the airport 3 hours early because you've forgotten what time zone you're in.

You instinctively grab your passport when you're going to meet a friend just out of town.

You hold sweepstakes with your seatmate over how many minutes you're going to be holding at Lambourn.

By spotting Clapham Common out the window, you know exactly the approach you're going to take into Heathrow, and how long it will take to taxi into the gate.

Driving to Schiphol, you look at the planes departing, and hope they're going on the Zwanenburgbaan.

You know exactly where to stand on the Heathrow Express platform to be first on into the carriage that lets you off for optimal positioning to be first in the taxi queue at Paddington.

OK, some of these are a little specific, but still...
Old Nov 12, 2004, 7:08 pm

When you're home and find it odd paying for your meals yourself.

When you wake up, look at the ceiling of the hotel room, and it takes a few minutes to remember what city/country you're in.

When you live out of a suitcase when you're home.
Old Nov 12, 2004, 8:24 pm

Programs: AA 2MM
Originally Posted by drtravix
When you wake up, look at the ceiling of the hotel room, and it takes a few minutes to remember what city/country you're in.
Yes, this is very scary, especially when it happens in your own bed at home.
Old Nov 12, 2004, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by ComAirKid
Here's what I compiled so far. Feel free to add your insight.
  • Instead of saying how often you travel, you say "I'm Platinum"
  • There is competetion on who got the nicest rental car for the week
  • There is competetion on who got the most hotel points for the week
When you listen to the relative newbies on your project talking about all these things and remember way back when you worried about such "mine's bigger" discussions.

And when, after about 10 minutes of comparing mileage levels, number of points/miles/status, etc., they turn to you as you are being quiet - "Diamond, Platinum, Platinum, CP, PremEx, Platinum, Gold, Gold, 3.3 million total current, 5.9 million life to date" and they just go silent, end of discussion. Happened this week.
Old Nov 13, 2004, 12:01 pm

When it becomes habit to give your phone number starting with the international code, even when you are ordering a pizza in your home city.
Old Nov 13, 2004, 12:17 pm

Programs: AC*SE
Originally Posted by DLmedalliongold
And It's really bad if you know it in spanish:

"...No permitito fumar en este o en ningun otro vuelo de Delta. Las Leyes federalez prohiban forzar, desactivar o deystruir las dectectores de humo de los banos..."

Or in the case of Air Canada, in French...

"Welcome aboard Air Canada. Please pay close attention as we outline the safety features of this aircraft. Bienvenue a bord d'Air Canada. Nous sollicitons votre attention pour les mesures de sécurité propre à cet avion...... Air Canada is pleased to offer a non-smoking environment aboard all of its flights. For your comfort and security, washrooms are fitted with smoke detectors. Air Canada a le plaisir de vous offrir un environnement sans fumée à bord de tous ses avions. Pour votre confort et votre sécurité, les salles de bains sont munis de détecteurs de fumée... "
Old Nov 13, 2004, 1:04 pm
In Memoriam

you automaticlly get your room key out on the elevator, you know you are upograded to the executive level and need the room key to get there.
Old Nov 13, 2004, 1:15 pm

Programs: COPP/UAGS SPG Platinum, USAir Gold Hyatt Diamond, Amex Centurion
<At International Check-in>

"Good morning, Sir. Where are we traveling to, today?"

"Here's my Passport. Can you tell me? I honestly don't remember."
Old Nov 13, 2004, 1:34 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by geekfactory
<At International Check-in>

"Good morning, Sir. Where are we traveling to, today?"

"Here's my Passport. Can you tell me? I honestly don't remember."
Hotel room phone conversation:

"Good morning, Sir. How may I help you?"

"Where am I?"

"Portland, Sir."

"Maine or Oregon?"
Old Nov 13, 2004, 2:07 pm

Expense account reviewer (who has never been out Manhattan):

"I notice that valet parking at your hotels is anywhere from $2-10 more per night. Must I (as a 26 year old future "Chainsaw Al") remind you that we are under severe cost reductions?"

"I understand. But, it was a busy week, 11 cities in 5 days, (marketing a piece of **** that I wouldn't sell to my ex-wife)really putting a full court press on management's (5th incarnation in last 18 months) view of the new pardigm.

"That is all well and good, but we just can't have you "salespeople" (uttered as if describing something smelly on their shoe) acting as if YOU were the whole reason for the company being here."

(Reject urge to have idiot look at rental receipts, showing 11 rental cars, 4 white, 3 blue, 3 red, 1 TBD. 5 Hertz, 3 Avis, 3 Bob's rent-a car (off airport). 6 GM ( 1 Cadillac free upgrade(gotta hide that!) 2 Alero 2 doors, 3 4 doors), 5 Chrysler ( 3 Intrepid, 2 Sebring (Wow! A Sebring convertable at 11:45pm, expected high tommorrow/today 39 degrees. Thanks! (Where were you when I was here 6 months ago on vacation?)).

Instead: "I'm sorry. I will really try to do better with my next expense report". (Which is for 13 cities in 6 days, ending up in New Orleans with the company's #1 client.) Can you give me a little help on this one?"

"...........OK. Just this once. I'm not a bad guy, but don't think you can take advantage of me. My job is very important (to me).

"Thanks. I really appreciate this."

Hang up and proceed to desk at gate of flight just missed, and rebook to next flight.

Last edited by Dallas49er; Nov 13, 2004 at 2:44 pm
Old Nov 13, 2004, 7:53 pm

Programs: NW Gold, United Premier, Hertz 5 Star, Priority Club PLT, Hilton Gold
When you wake up at home and dont know what city your in. (Happened to me more then once)
Old Nov 13, 2004, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K - 2MM, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
I suppose I am not showing signs that I am flying too much then.
Old Nov 13, 2004, 8:30 pm

You are home for 2 weeks, not a plane or hotel in sight, and you still live out of your shaving kit on the sink.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.