Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Signs you travel too much. [Archived]

Signs you travel too much. [Archived]

Old Nov 19, 2004, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by philk10
You're still alive to tell this tale ????
Actual conversation mid-air OAK-ATL:

Me: I flew with FA#2 last week ATL-CLE.
FA#1: You recognize her with black hair? She was blonde last week.
Me: I remember her legs.
FA#2: I remember you.

Needless to say, this discussion did not come up in conversation with the spouse later on.
Old Nov 19, 2004, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by rssrsvp
Sign you travel too much
You don't have time to post in this thread......
Old Nov 19, 2004, 3:13 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
You spend more on airport taxes than you do on groceries
It's been 5 years since you last needed to buy toiletries
You recognise changes to the food and drink served at local airport lounge
You are greeted by name by lounge bouncer - at several airports in foreign countries
Old Nov 19, 2004, 3:25 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe, and Carbon Conscious Travel

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Originally Posted by fbgdavidson
You don't have time to post in this thread......
Or you're in such a rush, you start a post and then you ha
Old Nov 19, 2004, 5:28 pm

Programs: AA, Delta Kryptonium (DM) Hyatt Diamond IHG Fake Plat (Ambassador), HH Gold
When you walk into a hotel and they hand you a key and they tell me "1" or they tell me "2" ( short hand for the only two rooms they assign me Room 1201 or room 1202 --both long term rooms my company pays for) and I get a call at 6:40 am stating Good morning Mr. Maps wheat toast or english muffin today? -- Which means my (usual daily) omlette is about done and they are getting ready to send the food up.

Last edited by mapsgl; Nov 19, 2004 at 5:30 pm
Old Nov 19, 2004, 7:05 pm

You know you're traveling too much when you take your pants to the dry cleaners and find the cuffs are full of peanuts.
Old Nov 19, 2004, 7:10 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA Plt, MR Lifetime Plat & Amb
Originally Posted by mileageslave
You know you're traveling too much when you take your pants to the dry cleaners and find the cuffs are full of peanuts.
Better yet, you take your clothes to the dry cleaners on the way to the airport and pick them up when you return, not in your home city!
Old Nov 19, 2004, 9:54 pm

Programs: Free Agent
Actual Experiences:

1) When you walk into a hotel and the staff starts yelling out "Hey Mr. Condition One!" before you even get to the front desk. And when you get to the front desk, the staff looks at you funny and asks, "you checked out?"

2) The hotel staff invites you to go skiing with them.

3) You stop using your personal credit card in lieu of your corporate card.

4) You get to your front door and forget which key you're supposed to use (happened last night).

5) You wonder if your car (personal, not rental) car will still start up.

6) Co-workers at your home office think that you're based out of another office location.

Last edited by Condition One; Nov 19, 2004 at 10:03 pm
Old Nov 20, 2004, 2:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by underpressure
Your family really believes that you ae a CIA Operative because you are gone so much.
HAHAHA - This really happens... As a kid, I was convinced that my dad was a spy because he was traveling so much, and because he was a senior executive at a small office, whenever I went into the company - everyone (or at least it felt like everyone) stopped their work to talk with me (clearly because they were hiding their real jobs from me). Definitely the only conclusion a kid could make was that he was a spy.
Old Nov 20, 2004, 3:08 am

Programs: Amex, Avis, BA, BD, CX, FS, Hertz, HH, IC, LH, NH, RC, RCCL, Sixt, SPG, SQ, UA
You see the same other guests on a new flight.

You meet the same other travellers in the lounge all the time.

Old Nov 20, 2004, 4:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Dallas49er
You are home for 2 weeks, not a plane or hotel in sight, and you still live out of your shaving kit on the sink.
I've been living out of my shaving kit for so many years, I've forgotten what normal people do?
Old Nov 20, 2004, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by underpressure
Your family really believes that you ae a CIA Operative because you are gone so much.
Many of my American friends truly believe this. They call my local cell phone number and I answer in Washington, Paris, Dubai or Amman or some such place.

Last edited by stimpy; Nov 20, 2004 at 4:24 am
Old Nov 20, 2004, 4:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I know we did this thread sometime in the past. Does anyone know the link? There were some good ones back then.

But for me, the classic one that always gets me is waking up and not knowing the country, time zone, why I'm there, etc. And yes, it sometimes happens at home.
Old Nov 20, 2004, 12:35 pm

Location: SCL, MCT, LGW and a variety of 1W lounges in between.
Programs: BA Mucci (Seigneur et Ingenieur des Appareils Volants (Gold)), QF (WP and LTG), AA EXP, GF Gold
From a twice a month RTWer

From oneworld's spotwelder (and the are all true):

You wanted that card that gave you access to the lounge, when you have 5 top tiers you want to give it all up.

The only person you have met who goes round the world more than you works for NASA as a Space Shuttle captain

Your ex-girlfriend is a Qantas pilot and she cannot fly an average of 30 hours a week and remain legal.

You cannot sleep without the 747-400 air conditioning noise in the background.

You have four passports just to get the visas in it, so they don't clash and the Nigerian/Indian.... Embassy can take ages again.

You think that 32A is an economy window seat and not your girlfriend's bra size

You wake up and get the continent wrong twice in a week

You turn up at the airport with six wallets full of tickets, cannot remember where you are, push them at the agent and then fall asleep over the desk whilst they try to work out where you are going.

You think that Visa is not a credit card organisation but a requirement to travel.

When the TSA agent asks where you started your journey you answer with the last 10 countries that you have visited in the last 14 days and ask them to pick one.

You are only slightly phased when looking at the list of banned substances for importing into Chile and it says "sperm" so you decide to smuggle.

You get arrested for smuggling firearms and throw into jail in Africa because you look like you may have a few dollars on you.

An exit visa from a country consists of a passport, the paper from entry, your broken watch and a photocopied $50 note.

You visit more than 50 countries a year.

The lounge dragons 12000 miles from home greet you by first name

Your mobile phone answering message has your flight number and estimated time of landing recorded on it.(GMT of course)

You have to phone home at 3am your time to call a plumber to fix a radiator leak.

You avoid the Airbus 340 because it cruises slightly slower than the 747-400

You memorise the timetable for your chosen global alliance for every possible change of plane between London and Sydney so you can always find a seat to get home

You miss Concorde because now you have even less time with the kids

You wrack up enough miles and bonus miles in one month for five RTWs in coach.

You start to date a girl on the airline ticket desk, just so you will see one another at some point.

Your airfare bill is more than 5 times your salary.

Whenever you enter a large door you automatically turn left, sit on the nearest chair and wait for some peanuts.

You have more than four different colours of airline pyjamas at home

You remember to close the window blind when getting into pyjamas when the jetty is still attached so those still boarding do not see "what is on offer"

You consider that deep vein thrombosis is actually real risk

Your company requires you to carry a radiation dose badge because of the zapping you get on long haul flights

You always have a thick padded jacket for polar suvival with you in Sydney at +38C in January because your next stop is Anchorage

You insist on travelling goat class and not chicken class in Africa depite what your company's travel policy about less than 4 hours actually says.

You wake up, look out of the window and recognise the pattern of lights 35,000 feet below you as Istanbul without even having to go to the moving map on Channel 16

And most importantly...
You save enough money with FT tips to make it worthwhile logging on!
Old Nov 20, 2004, 12:49 pm

Let me add a couple from my own experience.

Your parents and other relatives live less than 50 kilometers (30 miles for you non-standard types) from your home, yet you visit other continents more often than you visit them.

Your parents visit you more often to look after your appartment during your trips than they visit you while you are home.

And soon to add...

You no longer have any plants in your apartment since it means less work for whoever is currently watching your apartment.

Last edited by Deimos; Nov 20, 2004 at 12:56 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.