Wiki Posts
Search

70 minutes for a connection at YYZ

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2004, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM (2MM), Lifetime Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat
70 minutes for a connection at YYZ

The why is not important but I and my group are flying from ATL to JFK via YYZ. Is 70 minutes enough time to clear customs, recheck luggage and make our connection to JFK? We are a party of 4 adults.

Any insights would be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

Last edited by woody125; Dec 20, 2004 at 6:42 pm Reason: mispeling
Old Dec 20, 2004, 7:10 pm
Original Member

There are many on this board that will disagree with me on this, so please do take it with a grain of salt:

I cannot comment on customs as I've never done that route, but if you are flying from ATL, you need to be aware that any thing out of the ordinary can gridlock Hartsfield.

So, you could have less than 70 minutes for doing this connection.

Again, I have absolutely no idea how long would be reasonable to clear customs and all, but I personally would not be comfortable with 70 minutes. Just my two cents.
Old Dec 20, 2004, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Depending on the circumstances....

Assuming your inbound flight is on time, you might make it if you fulfil several IF conditions:

You and your group ("you") and seated right by the entry door

you walk fast to immigration*

no existing line ups and you clear quickly

your bags come out fast and customs clearance is fast

you don't have to change terminals

you recheck for your onward flight and it's quick with no queue

there's no wait for U.S. immigration and customs

it's perfunctory and quick

security is quick

then you have a chance, otherwise not. Might want to ask this over at the AC forum but I'd say that snowballs probably have better chances in hades.

* you'd probably have to clear both Canadian and U.S. immigration and customs. I don't think you can bypass any of these in YYZ. Hopefully you don't have to change terminals.
Old Dec 20, 2004, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by woody125
The why is not important
It's not important to you but it sounds very strange to me. Why on earth would you fly ATL to JFK through YYZ and go through the hassles of immigration when you really don't have to? Wouldn't this be a detour and a double international flight instead of being just one domestic straight away?
Old Dec 20, 2004, 8:13 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by rejunivated
It's not important to you but it sounds very strange to me. Why on earth would you fly ATL to JFK through YYZ and go through the hassles of immigration when you really don't have to? Wouldn't this be a detour and a double international flight instead of being just one domestic straight away?
I think we should stay with the original post---it's not important to us WHY this routing is desired, just that we accept the OP's conditons and see if we can help, IMHO.

(Having said that, I will also admist that I am extremely curious about the reasons, but will respect the OP's privacy.)
Old Dec 20, 2004, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hnechets
I think we should stay with the original post---it's not important to us WHY this routing is desired, just that we accept the OP's conditons and see if we can help, IMHO.
Not a problem. It's just that I was totally puzzled as I've never heard any individual do something like this.
Old Dec 20, 2004, 8:55 pm
Original Member

I completely agree, rejunivated. Thank you for not taking my post in the wrong spirit.

Yours, etc.
Old Dec 20, 2004, 9:51 pm

The why is not important but I and my group are flying from ATL to JFK via YYZ. Is 70 minutes enough time to clear customs, recheck luggage and make our connection to JFK? We are a party of 4 adults.

Thank you.
Your case looks grim.
First, I suggest you run for Canadian immigration, sicne there can be long lineups. But YYZ is OK for immigration. 5 minutes here

Secondly, claiming your bags, that might take some time. 10-20 minutes?

Thirdly, drag all your luggage to US preclearance station, wait for US immigration, and clear bags through Customs. 20-30 minutes? Maybe less if you're lucky.

Security after US preclearance, another 5 minutes.

You might make it, but on a very tight schedule.
Old Dec 20, 2004, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by terenz
Assuming your inbound flight is on time, you might make it if you fulfil several IF conditions:

You and your group ("you") and seated right by the entry door

you walk fast to immigration*

no existing line ups and you clear quickly

your bags come out fast and customs clearance is fast

you don't have to change terminals

you recheck for your onward flight and it's quick with no queue

there's no wait for U.S. immigration and customs

it's perfunctory and quick

security is quick

then you have a chance, otherwise not. Might want to ask this over at the AC forum but I'd say that snowballs probably have better chances in hades.

* you'd probably have to clear both Canadian and U.S. immigration and customs. I don't think you can bypass any of these in YYZ. Hopefully you don't have to change terminals.
He dosen't have to switch terminals. Most US flights are done at Terminal 2. Some airlines operate out of Terminal 3. If he's sticking to the same airline, then no worries.
Old Dec 21, 2004, 3:41 am

Programs: AC, AA, DL, UA
Originally Posted by hnechets
If the OP wants our help, surely the OP can withstand our polite curiosity.
Old Dec 21, 2004, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
I've done the whole thing in an hour with gives very little room for maneouver on your schedule. But tbh it was very stressful and US immigration at YYZ is a fright. I'd avoid such an itinerary.
Old Dec 21, 2004, 6:59 am

Thank you.
When are you flying and what airline(s)?

US INS can be pretty nasty in YYZ at this time of year

Last edited by 500 miles at a time; Dec 21, 2004 at 10:18 am
Old Dec 21, 2004, 8:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM (2MM), Lifetime Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat
Why Revealed!

Though the why might not be important, it sure has raised some eye brows, no? I don't mind the questions. Here's the deal...

I'm flying with 3 others on Delta Buddy Passes (don't hit me!) from ATL to JFK to connect for DL's flight to SVO on Dec 26. All flights from ATL to JFK that day look horrible so we're looking at other alternatives. Flights into LGA and EWR are also packed. The only way I have found, availability wise, to have a great shot at making our connection to SVO at JFK is to fly through another city. ATL to YYZ is wiiide open (we're flying on the lowest form of stand by there is so availability is a must) and then YYZ to JFK is also wiiiiide open. So, that is why I'm asking. If we don't make that YYZ flight 70 minutes later though, we're cooked as we miss connections at JFK and SVO. So, thanks to all but I think I'll look for another intermediate stop between ATL and JFK...hopefully one without customs and immigration.

This is a curious bunch...
Old Dec 22, 2004, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Mystery solved. Thank You!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.