Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Spain: Malaga, Marbella or Torremolinos?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2004, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K since 1998 & 3 Million Miler & ex-GS; DL Diamond 2015-2022; BAEC Silver; Bonvoy LT Titanium

I am considering a two week holiday at the end of June/ beginning of July. Our criteria include: nice beaches, some history, some culture, some nightlife, relaxation, natural beauty, not too touristy, etc. If we fly into Malaga, should we stay in Malaga, Marbella or Torremolinos? Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions.
Old Jun 10, 2004, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
Originally Posted by tealeaf99
I am considering a two week holiday at the end of June/ beginning of July. Our criteria include: nice beaches, some history, some culture, some nightlife, relaxation, natural beauty, not too touristy, etc. If we fly into Malaga, should we stay in Malaga, Marbella or Torremolinos? Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions.

I've not been to Torremolinos, and only spent a day in Malaga, so my vote is for Marbella. We were there two years ago and I'm hoping to visit again this autumn or next. Recommend staying in the old town part rather than Puerto Banus if you are looking for not-so-touristy. It's absolutely beautiful, whether you're looking at the beaches or the town/buildings in the town itself. That said, Torremolinos is also on my "want to visit" list
Old Jun 10, 2004, 4:55 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Torremolinos is very touristy-filled with British on cheap package holidays. Marbella is more upscale.
Old Jun 10, 2004, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hmmm, from the description of what you want you are a bit out of luck. Torremolinos is a tousit hell. While the beaches are possibly the nicest/widest in Europe, they are filled to the brim with Northern European tourists all summer, the town itself is trash. Marbella is more upscale, but is also quite overrun with tourists in the summer whether higher rent Germans or Spaniards from Madrid, it is also a tourist hell, quite spread out and much like Torremolinos is also a different kind of tourist hell.

In between that section of coast there are several other places such as Benalmadena, Fuengirola and about a dozen others. They are all different but the same (Fuengirola has a lot of Scandos for example).

If you go past Estepona things get a little more Spartan in that direction.

Malaga is NOT a tourist hell, but also is not a "resort" area. The Centro has tonnes of historical/interesting stuff to see/do. There is some beach that now runs from the Malagueta area after the port all the way to the edge of town. the area between La Malegueta and Pedregalego is newish landfill. If you lived there you would find it okay, but as a stourist you might not like it (Pedregalego etc are very Spanish).

After Malaga up the coast there are other towns to explore, some historical, some not. If you go about 20 km's outside Nerja on the coast road and are not averse to walking down steep hills you could actually possibly find your own private beach.
Old Jun 11, 2004, 12:30 am

Programs: Leaders Club, Small Luxury Hotels Club, Starwood Gold ,Marriott Gold, Pestana Elite.
Marbella is your best choice, no doubt. Forget Torremolinos, too touristic and awful. If you can afford stay at the Puente Romano Hotel or its sister Marbella Club. They are wonderful hotels outside the center of Marbella, near Puerto Banus. I've spent many summers there. A tip on some restaurants you have to go to: Tres Olivos, Antonius ( Puerto Banus) and a small beach restaurant , a "chiringuito", between the hotels and Puerto Banus called El Fantastico. There is also excellent night life in this area. Have fun
Old Jun 11, 2004, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I recently stayed in a small town called Alhaurin El Grande or something like that inland from Torremolinos which was very nice. I was at a low-end resort hotel (think La Quinta) for about €50 low season, but the rooms and service were great. Lots of golf courses in the area. I thought the coastline was far too touristy, but I didn't make it to Marbella.
Old Jun 11, 2004, 1:29 pm

For that area I would drecommend San Pedro de Alcantar. its one of the many little town along the coast, just west of Marbella. Although, as mentioned they are all touristy and time shares seem to surround each town. San Pedro is a littel quieter but still only a few minutes from Marbella.

I woudl question whether you really want to spend two weeks there though. Ther eis so much to see and do in Spain and you may get bored with the Costa del Sol after a week. WHiel you are there though I would take a drive up to Ronda, out to Granada (you may want to stay overnight) or down to Algeciras and Gibraltar. Sevilla isn't too far away and while a little dirty has great historical interest (go to Italica - the largest Roman Ampitheater outside of Rome) and a great open air market.

Anyway, Spain is a great country and I hope you have a good time.
Old Jun 11, 2004, 4:02 pm

None of them have a real nice beach!

Torremolinos - No way...not nice .. touristy!

Marbella - Is O.K. .. quite nice ... touristy!

Malaga - Good for a day or so!

The "back-yard" of this area is very pretty, hilly, picturesque villages...!

June/July can be very, very hot!
Old Jun 11, 2004, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wait a sec, you call Sevilla "dirty" but suggest Algeciras? Algeciras is the absolute dirtiest place in Europe with nothing whatsoever to see, with the only possibly redeeming feature being boats to Tangier (which although being the sh!tt!est city in Morocco has heaps more character than Algeciras).

Hell, If we're talking inland there are dozens of places to go, Grenada, Cordoba, Sevilla, Ronda, etc.
Old Jun 14, 2004, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by hfly
Wait a sec, you call Sevilla "dirty" but suggest Algeciras? Algeciras is the absolute dirtiest place in Europe with nothing whatsoever to see, with the only possibly redeeming feature being boats to Tangier (which although being the sh!tt!est city in Morocco has heaps more character than Algeciras).

Hell, If we're talking inland there are dozens of places to go, Grenada, Cordoba, Sevilla, Ronda, etc.
Sorry. Should have clarified. Algeciras worth a look for a day. Sevilla as a good place to stay for a few days or a week.
Old Jun 14, 2004, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kef0913
Sorry. Should have clarified. Algeciras worth a look for a day. .
I would disgree. Unless you have an abiding interest in ferries and oil refineries there is nothing to see in Algeciras. Gibraltar is worth a day at a push (up the Rock, see the apes, have a pint of British beer). Avoid La Linea (across the border from Gib) - it's worse than Algeciras.
Old Jun 14, 2004, 5:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
I definitely recommend a day trip to Ronda, and also a couple days in Granada (loved both of them!). You can also catch the AVE up to Seville if you wish.
Old Jun 14, 2004, 8:36 pm

Programs: UA 2P, AA Gold
When I was a kid living in England (as an ex-pat), Torremolinos was known primarily as a place where Brits went on cheap package holidays. Perhaps that's changed in recent years, but if things are still the same, this Monty Python sketch should tell you what to expect:

http://www.ibras.dk/montypython/finalripoff.htm#Travel

Torremolinos! Torremolinos!
Old Jun 14, 2004, 9:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K since 1998 & 3 Million Miler & ex-GS; DL Diamond 2015-2022; BAEC Silver; Bonvoy LT Titanium
Thanks for the comments and candid remarks! I think I'll have to make some alterations to my itinerary now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.