Wiki Posts
Search

Intra-Connecticut public transportation question

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2004, 8:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Intra-Connecticut public transportation question

My fiance and I are going to a bar mitzvah on a Saturday morning in June in Rocky Hill, CT. We thought it would be easier for us to spend the night up in Rocky Hill instead of driving first thing Saturday morning from Manhattan. My fiance will be working all day Friday in New Haven (within walking distance of the train station). So my idea was to meet him in CT on Friday and drive to Rocky Hill together.

Now I will be coming from NJ just outside of Newark. I would rather not drive through rush hour on the CT Turnpike to meet in New Haven. I'd rather avoid that mess and take 684 to 84 over to the Hartford area. Now I'm wondering.....is there a bus or train he could take where I could pick him up maybe in Waterbury or in some town between New Haven and Rocky Hill? Any advice? Thanks!!

Last edited by Analise; Apr 27, 2004 at 9:03 am
Old Apr 27, 2004, 10:17 am

Trains:
-------
There is a MetroNorth commuter train from NYC Grand Central to Waterbury.
see: http://mta.info/mnr/html/planning/sc.../waterbury.htm

You can also take MetroNorth to New Haven from Grand Central (much more frequent service to this destination than Waterbury).

You can also take Amtrak from Newark City, NJ to Hartford as well. See http://www.amtrak.com/

Buses:
------
Bonanza bus has service from NYC to Waterbury and Hartford:
http://bonanzabus.com/schedules/newy....shtml#newyork

Greyhound can get you from NJ or NY to New Haven, Waterbury, or Hartford.
see: http://www.greyhound.com/
Old Apr 27, 2004, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Steve, I don't think I was that clear. I will be driving. I'm not the one in need of public transportation. My fiance who will be coming from New Haven is the one without the car. Our final destination is Rocky Hill. I just want to be able to pick him up at a train station or bus station so I don't have to go out to New Haven. That's what I'm looking for---public transportation options from New Haven. Thanks.
Old Apr 27, 2004, 10:34 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Hi Analise:

Amtrak runs trains on Saturdays from New Haven to Berlin and Hartford CT at 8:50AM, 10:45AM, and 12:55PM (plus later trains). About 20 minutes to Berlin, and about 40 minutes to Hartford.
Old Apr 27, 2004, 10:48 am

Programs: Level 5 Kayaker
He could take a New Haven city bus on the Whitney Avenue line, which appears to have an I-84 stop in Cheshire. (Probably better to go stay on to the last stop, Waterbury Green; the I-84 stop is probably a Park-n-Ride lot.)

Also try Peter Pan. I rode their New Haven-Hartford bus years ago, and it was OK.

You've probably already considered this, but he could backtrack on Metro-North to Stratford to transfer to the Waterbury line or to South Norwalk to transfer to the Danbury line. The wait may be long, however, because the evening schedules for those lines are probably synched with trains originating at GCT.

Last edited by Y_me?; Apr 27, 2004 at 10:55 am
Old Apr 27, 2004, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
I don't see any of the solution to be particularly worthwhile. You're adding a lot of travel time and hassle for your fiance and yourself (to find the exact location to pick him up), in order to avoid I-95 or Merritt Parkway. It's not worth it. Go pick him up in New Haven.

If you really have to take I-84, you can take I-691 to Meriden, then backtrack down to New Haven on I-91. It's only 20 miles between NH and Meriden, so you're only adding <1 hour of driving time. Your fiance will appreciate that, I hope.
Old Apr 27, 2004, 12:13 pm

Programs: AC, WN, AA
Analise, if I were you, I'd take the Merritt to Meriden, and put the fiance on Amtrak from New Haven to Meriden. I've found that the Merritt is a much better road than I-95. Or, if you want to do the I-684 to I-84 route instead (which I've never taken), take I-84 to I-691 to Meriden. The train from New Haven to Meriden is only $6, and I've found it to be very painless. It takes about 20 minutes.I would avoid New Haven if at all possible. Rush hour in that area can be murder.
Old Apr 27, 2004, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SonOfACockroach
Analise, if I were you, I'd take the Merritt to Meriden, and put the fiance on Amtrak from New Haven to Meriden. I've found that the Merritt is a much better road than I-95. Or, if you want to do the I-684 to I-84 route instead (which I've never taken), take I-84 to I-691 to Meriden. The train from New Haven to Meriden is only $6, and I've found it to be very painless. It takes about 20 minutes.I would avoid New Haven if at all possible. Rush hour in that area can be murder.
Thank you, thank you! Thank you to everybody. The Amtrak idea is perfect......although the price is now a whopping $7. I will pick him up at the Meriden train station and I just Pricelined a hotel in Meriden for $28. I'm sure the drive Saturday morning from Meriden to Rocky Hill should be easy. Thanks again, everybody.
Old Apr 27, 2004, 1:30 pm

Programs: Level 5 Kayaker
Thumbs up

If you have time, I recommend breakfast at O'Rourke's Diner in Middletown, not too far out of your way.
Old Apr 27, 2004, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by Y_me?
If you have time, I recommend breakfast at O'Rourke's Diner in Middletown, not too far out of your way.
Being in Middletown right now, I second the O'Rourke's recommendation. It's probably the best breakfast you'll ever have in your life. Be sure to show up early though, or there will be a line.

Last edited by SonOfACockroach; Apr 27, 2004 at 2:30 pm Reason: Ai kant spel
Old Apr 27, 2004, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by Analise
The Amtrak idea is perfect......although the price is now a whopping $7.
Damn inflation!
Old Apr 27, 2004, 2:33 pm

Programs: WWMFD
More on O'Rourke's from a CT expert (lives here in town).

Sounds like a "don't miss".

kmc
Old Jun 4, 2004, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Ok......I'm off to CT tonight. Anyone have good directions to get to the Meriden train station from I-691? I'll be on it travelling East from 84.

Also, O'Rourkes seems to be closed for dinner. Any recommendations for a good and inexpensive dinner between Meriden and Rocky Hill?

Thanks.
Old Jun 4, 2004, 11:19 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Take the COLUMBIA ST exit towards DOWNTOWN MERIDEN, exit #7 - go 0.1 mi
Continue on COLUMBIA ST - go 0.3 mi
Turn on COLONY ST - go 0.3 mi
Turn on BROOKS ST - go 0.1 mi
Turn on STATE ST - go 0.1 mi
Arrive at 60 STATE ST, MERIDEN

Amtrak also has station finder directions on their website (though those above are from Yahoo)

amtrak.com
click on plan your trip
click on find amtrak stations with mapquest
Old Jun 4, 2004, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Analise
The Amtrak idea is perfect......although the price is now a whopping $7.
Use Amtrak promotion code V822 when purchasing the ticket, and bring the fare down to $5.60!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.