Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

bringing gifts to relatives & friends -- strange requests?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

bringing gifts to relatives & friends -- strange requests?

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2004, 12:13 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
From SFO to points East and West: San Francisco Sourdough Bread and a chub of salami

From SFO to HNL: Anything from Trader Joe's!

From HNL to points East: Coconut syrup and any jam or jelly with lilikoi (passion fruit).
Old May 26, 2004, 6:10 am

Programs: LH SEN
HKG - South Africa:
1 Trombone, 1 Sewing Machine, 2 Laptops
yes, all on the same flight ;-)

Germany - South Africa:
2 Boxes of 100 single servings of Nutella each for my niece and nephew. Customs had a good chuckle about that, but as it was christmas they let me go....
Old May 26, 2004, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
My wife has brought many of these things and more to the Philippines. I buy all my vitamins and household non-prescription medicine in the U.S. mainland, filling up a full military seabag. Costco personnel always ask if I have a store.

When in Columbia, SC, I buy barbeque sauce from Maurice's.

Returning from Hungary, I'm partial to gulyás paste and 6-putonos Tokai Aszu wine.

Travelling widely leads one to understand how far we have to go toward true free trade. There are plenty of arbitrage opportunities on this thread alone. @:-)
Old May 28, 2004, 9:41 pm

I went to happy hour with some friends tonight. These friends make fun of me for belonging to this "frequent flyer cult" with the "psychos" I met on the internet. When I waved my $58 ticket to Iceland in their faces, they weren't making fun of me. Well, one of my friends gave me instructions to bring him back a bottle of black death vodka.

Last edited by Alysia; May 29, 2004 at 6:02 pm
Old May 29, 2004, 8:32 am

Programs: ual, aa, nwa, starwood, jwm
OK, as a former expat who lived in Italy, I always asked my visitors (and there were MANY) to bring a supply of odd things that were unavailable. Among my requests:

Fat-Free Refried Beans
Skippy Extra Chunky Peanut Butter
Protein Bars (i.e., Zone Bars, Clif Bars)
Girl Scout Cookies
Ivory Soap
Dry Idea antiperspirant

Not sure what the common denominator is, but these things made me feel less homesick.
Old May 31, 2004, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by Pat89339
From SFO to points East and West: San Francisco Sourdough Bread and a chub of salami
I remember a friend who claimed to have asked her father to bring a good amount of Sourdough (not cooked) from SF to ORD... in a bag in his carryon... at altitute the yeast activated and it started growing....
The rest of the family had a good laugh.

I once brought two pounds of espresso beans to Roswell, NM (in the old days, before espresso could be found outside of a few major US cities). This was for an Italian stranded in Roswell, not for one of the aliens from the x-files.

And the one that had me worried going through security- panties for an 8 year old girl, US to Italy (her parents asked for the cotton ones sold here at K-Mart, very cheap but good quality, they don't fall apart in the washer like the expensive ones sold in Italy). Perfectly innocent, but to some customs or TSA officials I could have looked very suspicious carrying those! (the sailor moon print pattern could have been my downfall!!!!!
Old Jun 1, 2004, 11:44 pm

Programs: Mr Swise: AAdvantage LifetimePlt/3MM, HH Dmnd, SPG Plt
My BF was an Aramco Brat in Saudi Arabia.

Whenever any of the kids returned from a visit home they would bring back a suitcase full of Bubblicious bubble gum.

It was a form of currency for them, like cigarettes in jail.

I just brought back a bunch of cheese from Montreal recently for me: stuff like unpasturized camembert, which you can't get here. We have a 100% tarrif on EU cheeses right now in the US, so it was about half off. I felt like Arlo Guthrie:
"Don't touch my bags if you please, Mister Customs Man"
Old Jun 2, 2004, 12:56 am

lizano sauce from costa rica

lizano sauce from costa rica
Old Jun 2, 2004, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Originally Posted by typical pm loser
lala,

You have conveniently forgotten the cheese and celery sandwich from Marks and Sparks that you insisted I bring back from London...for YOU! That was about 1983. My meek confession to the agriculture police about the celery content was satifactory.

You never can be too careful in an Apple Maggot Quarantine area.

TPML
Duly noted. I had a cheese and celery sandwich in your honor on Monday. They have changed the recipe, it just isn't the same.

lala
Old Feb 16, 2006, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
My bag is now full of emergen-c and zip lock bags to London. I hope the customs agents don't think I'm smuggling vitamin c.
Old Feb 16, 2006, 3:39 pm

Programs: AA, United
I had a friend who was ex pat living in Sydney and he would always beg me for a case of Sierra Nevada. Nothing like bringing beer into country that has pretty good beer to begin with.
Old Feb 16, 2006, 4:51 pm

Programs: Random acts of kindness and senseless beauty
My son living in Japan requests his favorite toothpaste and Newmans Own Pineapple Salsa -- he usually eats the first jar as soon as I unpack it.
Old Feb 16, 2006, 4:54 pm

My grandson in the UK has a standing request for candy corn. I've been known to lie and tell him it's only available around Hallowe'en. Bad grandma.

When we lived in Jamaica, I used to ask people coming down from the U.S. to bring me boxes of Wheaties. And they usually did, too.
Old Feb 16, 2006, 5:01 pm

Programs: DL FC, NW
My friend in Russia (from Alabama) always wants grits and popcorn.
Old Feb 16, 2006, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by lalala
I have to admit to travelling light and enjoying staying with my relatives. I often will call them and ask if they have any requests from Seattle or the US.

My mom always wants halibut, my aunt -- emergen-c (vitamin drink). No biggie and I'm happy to do it.

Now I am off for a trip to the homeland and my bags are full of:

ziplock bags (300)
lemon pepper (costco sized)
knorr chicken stock cubes
really bad lipsticks
small pill boxes and gift bags
centrum vitamins
vitamin c fizzy drinks

I have very little room for my own clothes! However, I know that the housewives of northern Teheran will all have new ziplock bags to marinate their lemon peppered chicken kabobs.

Anyone else have any good "please bring me" requests?
Teheran?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.