Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What degree you need for a travel job

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2009, 6:36 am
Original Poster

Question What degree you need for a travel job

so i'm looking for travel job in future like consultant or anything but i can't find some info about what degree u need
i found bachelor's degrees but what that realy means what university you may need to finish so you could get it
Old Jun 26, 2009, 6:45 am

Umm, you may want a degree that teaches you to use proper capitalization and punctuation. Just a thought...

Study whatever makes you happy, not something that will get you a job you detest. If you really want to travel, you'll find a way.

Oh, and this has been discussed a zillion times, so click the search button for your further reading pleasure.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 7:04 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
You can be a flight attendant, degree not required.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 7:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brendog
Umm, you may want a degree that teaches you to use proper capitalization and punctuation. Just a thought...

Study whatever makes you happy, not something that will get you a job you detest. If you really want to travel, you'll find a way.

Oh, and this has been discussed a zillion times, so click the search button for your further reading pleasure.
my brother is finishing law university and i gone for law (i'm finishing first year) but i realised that i don't realy like it
so next step is to evaluate what i realy want to do...cause that i'm going to do for the rest of my life, i don't wanna regret anything)

i'm think of going to economic university...
Old Jun 26, 2009, 7:41 am

There are many.

Mine is in accounting, get in to auditing and you can do all the traveling you want...and more.

I am going to echo the sentement that you shoud get into somthing you love to do. The travel will get old. Travel for work sometimes is not fun, you can spend so much time working that it does not matter where you go, its all concrete and steel, ie airplanes, offices, and hotel rooms. Other than going out to eat, I rearly get to see the sights when I travel, when a company pays for your travel, they often want the most out of you when you are there (gotta get their moneys worth).
The airport and flight routine on Monday and Friday gets to be a real grind.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 9:29 am

Programs: AS MVPG
Finance or accounting, then join a consultancy. Be advised, though, the life of a traveling consultant is not for everyone. Glamorous it is not.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by brendog

Ahh, give the guy a break, English may not be his native tounge.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 9:50 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
if you can afford it, "Flight School"...

You can "travel" while learning (simply not very far) and then, if you're really lucky, gallivant about some limted range of sky in a creaking commuter bird at wages only slightly higher than those of an FA, hoping to acquire enough skills and hours to eventually sign on with a "big" airline for a few months before being furloughed as redundant. Then there's airfreight, where you can both fly the bird and muck out the stalls in back after the horses have been unloaded.

Sometimes, your own government has traveling opportunities available, training pilots for free, and providing both flight suits and a/c to use. Your bosses may require that you fly about dropping dangerous devices on various bands of the dissatisfied, discordant or downright displeased. Unfortunately, those below, resentful of your activities, will attempt to stifle your career, and should you fall to earth within their reach, rend you limb from limb and allow the womenfolk to carve you into buffet decorations.

Last edited by TMOliver; Jun 26, 2009 at 9:56 am
Old Jun 26, 2009, 10:01 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
And of course 'consultancy' is not limited to finance or accounting - it could extend to IT, international development and aid agencies, 'democracy promotion' NGOs, engineering etc etc. And you don't need to be a consultant to have a job which requires a lot of travel. There is also the diplomatic service, teaching English as a foreign language overseas, the military, academic field research, and much more.

As others have said - don't look for some degree which will get you a 'travel job'; do something an area which you will be interested in and there is good chance you might find an international dimension to it later. And having done a lot of travel for a past job (not a consultant, but public sector) I can confirm that the novelty of frequent travel will soon wear off! If you don't like the reason you are travelling, the fact you are travelling a lot is highly unlikely to make up for it.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 10:09 am

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Do want to be a travel agent/planner? Or just want a job with much travel?

When I was an undergrad getting my Bach. in Geography several people who were over on the cultural side of Geography went into the high end travel agent business. They seemed to quite enjoy it.

As for jobs with much travel, as others noted above, the possibilities are endless, but be careful what you wish for...to much travel can become tiresome. Good luck.

Ciao,
FH
Old Jun 27, 2009, 1:31 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I have my Bachelor's in US History and English Litearture and I am fortunate to have a job that allows me to travel. I fly about once every two months and because I'm in a low pressure sales position, I rarely work over a forty hour week and even more rarely do I work weekends. However, I stay at a lot of Holiday Inn Expresses so you may want to go work for a Consultancy to get those high roller perks
Old Jun 27, 2009, 3:18 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I don't like to sound too harsh, but if you did anything with the wrong goal in mind (e.g. 'travel' when you should be concentrating on your career-related topic), you may not get anywhere. If you are successful at something, travel may come along with it.

But I can tell you that work related travel quickly wears thin. The best thing to do is to get a job that earns you enough money and freedom to pay for your own leisure travels.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.