Search

Terror alert bears smelly fruit on Oz plane

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2003, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, SPG GLD, PC PLT SPIRE

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">An infamously smelly fruit in the cargo hold of an Australian airliner forced a full-scale security alert and evacuation of the plane on Thursday as baggage handlers feared they faced a possible terrorist threat.

The Virgin Blue flight from Brisbane to Adelaide was delayed for four hours while police and firefighters investigated a suspicious odour and white powder found in the cargo area, officials said.

The powder turned out to be carpet deodoriser that a passenger had sprayed on a package containing the notoriously smelly south-east Asian fruit, durian, apparently in a failed bid to disguise the odour, officials said.</font>
Reminds me of many years ago my wife (back when she was just my girlfirend and thought it would be a neat practical joke) brought back from Sweden a gift for me of a can of Surstroming (sp?) which is a notoriously super foul smelling food - the only way I can describe it is basically it is something like rotted food in a can. It is packed in cans and when you open it, the neighbors want to call the city sanitation department because it smells like the sewer under your house exploded and is flooding the neighborhood. She didn't think about it at the time, but if the can had somehow opened in flight, the plane would have had to divert because it is SOOOO SMELLY!

Old Jan 17, 2003, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by onedog:
Reminds me of many years ago my wife (back when she was just my girlfirend and thought it would be a neat practical joke) brought back from Sweden a gift for me of a can of Surstroming (sp?) which is a notoriously super foul smelling food - the only way I can describe it is basically it is something like rotted food in a can. </font>
I think it is. Some island of Sweden had a shortage of salt to preserve herring so they let it partially rot before using a limited amount of salt to preserve the rest.

A friend of mine who used to work ground crew at GOT told me that SK once ran a regional fare promotion. One of the meals contained cans of the stuff. One pax's can was not refrigerated and had really gone off. Can was under pressure and when opened, you can imagine what happened. The a/c was taken out of service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.