Wiki Posts
Search

Using Discover Card in Europe

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2003, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, UA 2P, Marriott LTPP
Using Discover Card in Europe

Does Deutsche Bahn accept Discover Card? Also, how widely accepted in Austria is Discover Card? I'm going on a trip next week, and it completely escaped my mind that I should be thinking about something so basic. I have no Visa or MC. Thanks all!
Old Jan 9, 2003, 3:08 pm

I can't answer your specific question but I would suggest you pursue it soon. I had a Discover card in France a few years ago and no one took it during our whole month there. I've been back several times and while I no longer carry that card, I don't recall seeing any Discover signs.
Old Jan 9, 2003, 5:00 pm

Sorry but I have never seen a Desinations sign here in Germany...

Tim
Old Jan 9, 2003, 5:08 pm

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
DISCOVER card is accepted only in the USA -- no other country, as far as I know.
Old Jan 9, 2003, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Discover is a very limited card. I don't bother to carry it anymore. Basically useless--especially in Europe.
Old Jan 9, 2003, 5:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, UA 2P, Marriott LTPP
Agree that the card is useless. In my defense, the only reason I got it was for the 0% APR on balance transfers. I made the mistake of ditching my MP Visa, but I did sign up for a new one... of course, that was mostly for the 15k bonus.
Old Jan 9, 2003, 8:38 pm

I've never seen it accepted in any other country, and leave it at home when I travel overseas.

I generally use it for Sam's Club purchases, and the occasional third idine in a month at the same restaurant...

JP
Old Jan 10, 2003, 8:37 am

Just to confirm the above, it is of no use in Europe.
Old Jan 10, 2003, 9:21 am

Programs: HHonors Silver
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by j379pa:
I generally use it for Sam's Club purchases...</font>
Same here, but you should look into purchasing WalMart gift cards (at WalMart) using your favorite FF (Visa/MC/Amex) card, and using the gift card for your Sam's purchases. Since there's usually a WalMart adjacent to the Sam's it's not too much of a hassle, and it will get you miles rather then the meager cashback points from Discover.

Old Jan 12, 2003, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
I believe the Discover card is issued by Morgan Stanley.

Morgan Stanley issue Visa/MC cards in the UK, but not Discover. I believe the UK is the second biggest credit card market. No Discover in the UK? Then I guess you're not going to find it outside North America.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.