Search

For you photographers

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2002, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
For you photographers

The new pretty red white and blue TSA signs say we have the right to ask for hand search of film.

Bull ****! I tried this AM and was refused.

over 100 rolls of professional grade film including IR and 1600
Old Aug 12, 2002, 12:41 am

I would have requested a supervisor and at the least filed a complaint after getting names and badge numbers...I would go for damages
Old Aug 12, 2002, 8:02 am

The TSA's own web site says the following:

"Please remove undeveloped film from your checked baggage and keep it with you. Failure to remove undeveloped photographic film of all types may result in damage to that film."

http://www.tsa.gov/trav_consumers/trav_tips.shtm

------------------
Michael Steinberg
Editor
BizTrip
http://www.biztrip.com

[This message has been edited by businesstraveler (edited 08-12-2002).]
Old Aug 12, 2002, 11:02 am

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
Did it get x-rayed?? You're IR film is probably toast. That sucks.
Old Aug 13, 2002, 9:11 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plt
Any U.S. airport security screener who refuses to provide a hand search of any photographic film is, simply, wrong.

And I'd recommend that anyone traveling in the U.S. with photographic film should go to the federal government's own website laying out that fact, should print a copy of the regulations that say so, and should have them handy to show such a screener and, if you have to, their supervisor.

The relevant section of the regs, as most recently published by the feds on August 9, 2002, are at the URL:

http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/c...fr1544_00.html

And I'm quoting them below -- I call your attention to part (4) at the end of the excerpt:

###BEGIN EXCERPT###

49 CFR - CHAPTER XII - PART 1544

§ 1544.211 Use of X-ray systems.

(e) Signs and inspection of photographic equipment and film. (1) At locations at which an aircraft operator uses an X-ray system to inspect accessible property the aircraft operator must ensure that a sign is posted in a conspicuous place at the screening checkpoint. At locations outside the United States at which a foreign government uses an X-ray system to inspect accessible property the aircraft operator must ensure that a sign is posted in a conspicuous place at the screening checkpoint.
(2) At locations at which an aircraft operator or TSA uses an X-ray system to inspect checked baggage the aircraft operator must ensure that a sign is posted in a conspicuous place where the aircraft operator accepts checked baggage.
(3) The signs required under this paragraph (e) must notify individuals that such items are being inspected by an X-ray and advise them to remove all X-ray, scientific, and high-speed film from accessible property and checked baggage before inspection. This sign must also advise individuals that they may request that an inspection be made of their photographic equipment and film packages without exposure to an X-ray system. If the X-ray system exposes any accessible property or checked baggage to more than one milliroentgen during the inspection, the sign must advise individuals to remove film of all kinds from their articles before inspection.
(4) If requested by individuals, their photographic equipment and film packages must be inspected without exposure to an X-ray system.

###END EXCERPT###

Whenever I'd fly with photographic film -- and this is something I often had to do even before security was tightened -- I'd make it a point to have a freshly printed out copy of this section of the regulations (with the date of issuance) in the bag with my film so I could if necessary show the screener that I did have the right to a hand inspection and I did have the right to insist that my film not be sent through an x-ray machine.

Since I sometimes get paid for the photos I take, that two page printout of "49CFR Part 1544.211" has at times been the most valuable item in my carryon luggage.

------------------

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.