Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Lost baggage - which airline responsible?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lost baggage - which airline responsible?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2017, 6:20 pm
Original Poster

Unhappy Lost baggage - which airline responsible?

My girlfriend parents visited her on Mexico for Christmas holidays. They had a flight DUS-MAD-MEX-GDL under Iberia (DUS-MAD-MEX) and Interjet (MEX-GDL). Their luggage never made it to MEX, hence, we could not document to Interjet.

Iberia says Interjet should respond per being the last carrier while Interjet says Iberia is responsible since they never received the luggage.

Right now we are still so frustrated for the lost and the lack of support and clarity on regulations for this kind of issues, we haven't received any compensation, not even for the emergency expenses.

By doing some research we have some guesses but nothing has been useful so far:
- IATA airline members agreed: the very last airline (only) of the luggage-trip has to 'satisfy' you.
- The contract is generally with the initial carrier.
<http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/286465-delayed-baggage-airline-responsible.html>
-The Montreal Convention Art.36-3 mentions:
3. As regards baggage or cargo, the passenger or
consignor will have a right of action against the first carrier,
and the passenger or consignee who is entitled to delivery
will have a right of action against the last carrier, and further,
each may take action against the carrier which performed
the carriage during which the destruction, loss, damage or
delay took place. These carriers will be jointly and severally
liable to the passenger or to the consignor or consignee.
<https://www.iata.org/policy/Documents/MC99_en.pdf>
This is confuse as I understand that both are responsible to the passenger but what if none of them wants to respond?

We have been complaining with both companies but none of them have made responsible since December.
Do you have any information can help us through this? I would greatly appreciate any help
Old Aug 17, 2017, 7:21 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Ask IB to provide you records of the luggage transfer from DUS-MAD-MEX. If they can prove the bag made it onto the plane to MEX and into the hands of the operators then go after Interjet but hope that it didn't get off the plane and you get to deal with IB instead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.