Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What's the Most Isolated place you have ever visited ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's the Most Isolated place you have ever visited ?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2017, 6:14 pm

Programs: Iberia
Originally Posted by OskiBear
Easter Island, which they tell you is very isolated. However, isolation doesn't feel quite the same when you are with a lot of other people. There's still plenty of infrastructure and other human beings to make it not feel all that isolated.
Easter Island for me too. And the hotel that I stayed at was not even in the "town". I was there in late November which is definitely low season. Loved it there.

There are a couple of places in French Polynesia that I would like to visit someday that are truly isolated and I'd love every minute of it. Getting away from the rest of the real world and everything that comes with it is so relaxing for me.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by Peterpack
I've been watching the wonderful BBC series, Amazing Hotels, life beyond the Lobby

Really well made interesting series

Some of the hotels featured were so isolated like the Fogo Island Inn in Canada on a really isolated small island and Mashpi Lodge, Ecuador in the forrest

The hotels are really special , especially given their location, but man i would go nuts in somewhere so isolated.

Have you ever visited anywhere so isolated ?
Old Aug 14, 2017, 6:19 pm

Pitcairn Island by far. I have been fortunate to visit all 7 continents and 100 countries.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 6:30 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Various places I've camped in the Western US deserts. Not another human around (other than DW) for miles. At one location we stayed in the Utah desert the closest town site was 60 miles away, via rough dirt roads. There was probably nobody else within 30 miles of us the whole night.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 6:36 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
I went to Isle Royale National Park this summer. It's isolated in that it is not easy to get to. There is not much on the island but a lodge, some cabins, and some camp sites. We took a float plane from a river in Hancock MI to get there. Great cabins, nice restaurant, 3 craft beers on tap in the lounge, and a fun staff. When the fog set in and the float plane flights got cancelled for the day, we felt pretty isolated. But an amazing place.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by LouiseMc
Pitcairn Island by far. I have been fortunate to visit all 7 continents and 100 countries.
Wow, I had to look that one up. What a history!
Old Aug 14, 2017, 7:19 pm

Programs: United 100K, Etihad Gold, Marriot Platinum, Hilton Gold
Offshore oil platforms. I should do a trip report for visiting one of these.
trooper likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I was out alone in Valley of Fire in Nevada, shooting photos at sunrise, when I took a wrong turn at a trail marker. I traveled over a mile down a gully over harder and harder terrain before realizing something was wrong. I turned around but tripped and broke one ankle and sprained the the other. A mile to the trail, and another 1/2 mile to the parking lot, semi-crawling, without a person in sight.

I'm sure there were people within a few miles, but it felt isolated.

Driving out the the Racetrack Playa alone in Death Valley also felt quite isolated for a few hours until others showed up to shoot at sunset.

Wading up the Narrows at Zion, alone, also felt isolated, thought again, people were probably within a mile.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 8:50 pm

Programs: UA*S, AA Plat, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by spotbeagle
Easter Island for me too. And the hotel that I stayed at was not even in the "town". I was there in late November which is definitely low season. Loved it there.

There are a couple of places in French Polynesia that I would like to visit someday that are truly isolated and I'd love every minute of it. Getting away from the rest of the real world and everything that comes with it is so relaxing for me.
Easter Island again!
It doesn't feel that isolated now that there are daily services with 787's full of people, but it still feels magical to be there.

Also on the same trip we went to Torres del Paine which isn't quite as isolated as some answers above, but after 4 hours of flying and another 5 driving, arriving at 10pm to a sky full of stars felt pretty amazing too for us who live in excessive light pollution.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 9:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
Why not mention the most isolated places and see who has visited it?

The piece of land that is farthest away from another inhabited place is Easter Island. Many people have been there.

Hard to reach places include Pitcairn Island (South Pacific) and Tristan da Cunha (South Atlantic).

Hard to reach uninhabited places include Bouvet Island and some of the South Sandwich Islands somewhat near Antarctica.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 10:36 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by jadecocoa
Northern Mongolia. Just drove around and free camped. Not a person in sight for miles, no cell service.
This would be mine too. A 4 hour drive North of Moron and/ or the park the other side of Lake Khovsgol from the town.

It makes Easter Island seem positively happening in comparison. Sadly, it also makes their food seem pleasant.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 10:39 pm

My in-laws live 6 a hr drive (450km, not all of it paved) from the nearest traffic light (and one road in).
Old Aug 14, 2017, 10:54 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Thule AB, Greenland. 76° 31' 52" North Latitude.

Ascension Island in the south Atlantic.

Diego Garcia, BIOT.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 11:17 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BlueEngineer
Outback Australia. Have driven the Stuart highway a couple of times Adelaide-Darwin. Interesting the first time, not so much anymore.
I'll go along with this, particularly the drive east from Hell's Gate Roadhouse in Northwestern Queensland to Boroloola. That's 300km of dirt road, fording 15-20 rivers along the way, and no fuel stops (or anything) between the two. And if the vehicle breaks down while fording a river -- don't get out of the car; the salties know where the crossings are.

Last edited by RichardInSF; Aug 15, 2017 at 3:13 pm
Old Aug 15, 2017, 12:39 am

Programs: Qatar, Turkish, Aeroflot
Soon to be Easter Island, but for now, my vote is going to probably Astana, Khiva, Shakhrisabz or Ufa

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.