Wiki Posts
Search

Shortest Flight Ever?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2017, 2:09 am

Programs: Concorde Mach 2 -UAMM- First to Fly A380/B787/B747-8i/FlyingHonu
Smile

Tongatapu to Eua.

Shortest commercial flight in the world.
7 minutes sharp.

I love the place.

Old Aug 15, 2017, 2:32 am

Programs: BA GGL, IB, LH, IHG Gold
Shortest commercial flight in a widebody?

Shortest I have flown is CAN-HKG 84 miles in a KX A330
Old Aug 15, 2017, 2:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Originally Posted by sbm12
This is great, near where I grew up in Caithness (but never got around to doing that flight). The window is square, so it looks like you're sitting on the local school bus. My shortest OD short flights include -

WIC-KOI when I was little, just on November 4 in (I think) 1976. I remember being on Flotta and fireworks being set off with the huge dark silhouette of the Flotta oil terminal just behind - really weird combination, probably totally forbidden now.

CWL- BRS on Air UK (not OD) going back to boarding school, the continuation of a flight from LBA. I had previously flown ABZ-EDI-LBA and had sat for ages on a hard chair in LBA, waiting for the next flight. My first frequent flyer, connecting experience.

BRN-BSL on Crossair as part of a Qualiflyer miles promotion, where I was offered 80,000 bonus miles for completing 13 flights (but 240,000 if 7 of the sectors were in business. So the hunt was on for the cheapest flight on the Swissair/Crossair network, and Berne-Basel came up as the best, so I went to Berne airport at 5 o'clock in the morning and flew Berne-Basel-Berne-Berne-Basel-Berne-Basel-Berne-Basel-Berne). I earned 305,000 miles for an outlay of CHF750 and took my mother to Hong Kong and Australia using them. The airport and security personnel at Berne airport thought I was a complete spaceman! On 4 of the flights I did assisted landings in the cockpit with the captain and FO.

DUS-CGN (not OD) on à very old LGW Luftfahrt Gesellschaft Walter plane with square windows with curtains. It was part of an itinerary that continued to ERF. I was due to start working at the Meiningen Theater, so that was an exotic way to begin.

Last edited by Concerto; Aug 15, 2017 at 2:49 am Reason: correcting non OD flights
Old Aug 15, 2017, 3:21 am

Originally Posted by tentseller
My landing practice flights < 1 minute each.

I paid for them so would that count?
How do you do the traffic pattern in under 1 minute
ajGoes likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Westray to Papa Westray is about 57 seconds with favourable winds.
Saw that name in a book i'm currently reading....("Destroyer Captain" Roger Hill) Papa Westray was used as a naval bombardment range in WW2... lol.

Hope service was suspended then!
Old Oct 31, 2018, 4:22 pm

Programs: American AAdvantage Platinum
DCA/BWI in 1976. National Airlines 727, 11 minutes 50 seconds, from beginning of takeoff roll to touchdown.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
MHH to TCB, which sometimes clocks in at 6 minutes (scheduled for 15) - although I didnt fly this on UP, but on Yellow Air Taxi - so the Cessna was slowe

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/BHS335

Others SEZ-PRI - about 13 minutes, FGI-PPG - about 20 minutes, BAH-DOH - 20 minutes
Old Oct 31, 2018, 4:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Some of the flights mentioned here are shorter than SXM-SBH (20 miles), but in terms of cost per mile, this one is in the 99th percentile.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
PBG-BTV in the '90s on a USAir commuter 10-15-seater. 7 minutes. Google says 18 miles.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...059Z/KPBG/KBTV
Old Oct 31, 2018, 7:00 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Checking in to RST-- RST/MSP-- Post- security, we sat down near departure gate and awaited announcement that the NWA flight was on the way from MSP. It was, basically a heads up that our flight was on it's way. That route was generally 15 minutes but the 1 FA always managed to serve a PDB. Not the shortest flight but an emotional one as so many pax were traveling to and from Mayo Clinic. We waited 15 minutes for incoming flight, boarded and flew for another 15 minutes.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 4:53 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, Avis Pref, DL Silver, National EE
Originally Posted by LANgradStudent
DTW-LAN is a longer distance but 15-16 minutes in flight. I fly it a few times a year, when it's cheaper than taking the bus to DTW.
I fly this anywhere between 5 and 10 times per year, although DTW is never my final destination. As a matter of fact, I just flew this on Monday and will again on Friday.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Lots of short flights depending upon how you define it:
Private as passenger (repositioning): 13 miles from a private airfield to OFP (Hanover County, VA) - on King Air 350
Private as passenger (non-repositioning): 38 miles from SML-GGT (Stella Maris, Bahamas to Exuma, Bahamas) - on King Air 350
Commercial (connecting): 68 miles - STT-SJU on American Eagle ATR-72
Commercial (O&D) 126 miles - SOU-JER on flybe Dash 8

Originally Posted by Toshbaf
Another question might be "What is the shortest flight you've taken where you were O&D traffic and not connecting?" Mine was probably 100 miles on a mainline within the US (didn't want to drive late at night), about 25 miles outside the US (between islands and quicker than a ferry).
I did book RIC-IAD-RIC on UA Express as a standalone which is 100 miles each way, but I was "connecting" to BA flights which were ticketed separately.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 6:08 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
I fly LAX - SBA fairly regularly which is about 18-19 min wheels up to wheels down. The same drive on any weekday is 3 hours. United knows it and charges $200+ for it. All least they recently put an ERJ-175 on the route with 12 seats up in first....a few years ago that was a propeller plane route.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 6:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Fairly certain I did MIA - FLL many years ago was flying from somewhere north to FLL and we stopped in MIA before continuing. That’s about 21 miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.