Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What is the farthest out you have ever made a reservation for a future trip?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2017, 7:16 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

I am working on a beach hit for late November 2018 and already have our hotel secured with a deposit. ( In this case it is a VERY popular specific room at the resort)
Old Jul 25, 2017, 7:22 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Certain places at Kruger National Park are fully booked the same day they become available for booking - 365 days in advance. You pretty much need to sit with your phone and clock and dial in immediately at 9AM local time.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I've been booking an SPG room for the US Formula 1 race as soon as it becomes available, 18 months out, for 10+ years. The schedules are usually predictable, so reserving for 2-3 weekends until the schedule is confirmed usually covers it. Except when they shifted from the summer to fall - fortunately I reacted faster than the hotels.

So I have reservations for late October 2018, booked in April.

I also have a room "reserved" at a college fraternity brother's house in Cleveland for the April 8, 2024 eclipse .

Last edited by CPRich; Jul 25, 2017 at 8:02 am
Old Jul 25, 2017, 9:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I used to book trips 330 days out when that was a reliable way to snag multiple J/F seats together.

Don't do it as much anymore.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 1:39 pm

airfare 8 months out

certain .ph carriers come up with seat sale promos where the basic fare is basically free and all you pay is the tax and fuel.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 5:53 pm

Programs: BA GfL
In March of this year, I booked an Arctic cruise for Aug/Sept 2018. Going with five others that I met this past Dec/Jan on an Antarctic cruise with the same company. We had such an amazing time and got along so well that we were all super motivated to take another trip! That's the furthest out I have ever booked anything, but I do tend to get trips onto my calendar quite early, 6-9 months ahead of time.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Prob 10 months for a Egypt, Jordan and Malaysia trip of 5 weeks.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 8:34 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
We book our Hawaii Condo in February 2 years out. Its very hard to get the most popular condos at reasonable prices even if you book one year out in Feb.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 9:22 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I planned a Christmas, 2016 trip in February, 2016. I booked flights and hotels then though I ended up having to shuffle everything around when after a schedule change one of my award flights vanished. I had to cancel it, redeposit the miles, wait for a schedule change to allow me to cancel and refund a paid positioning flight then rebook a new award ticket. That was a pain.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 9:41 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG,
360 days in advance for a full round the world cruise

For our 4 month world cruise we booked 3 years in advance. MIA to MIA over 4 months. We couldn't even book our flights for another year. We then booked additional overland trips like Iguazu Falls etc. throughout our trip when they became available for booking. It took a lot of planning but was totally worth it. It was a dream come true.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 9:44 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Almost 18 months in advance for a cruise - that I subsequently rebooked an additional two times when the price dropped :-)
Old Jul 26, 2017, 9:36 pm

I've booked National Park campsites 364 days out. In certain premium places, like Yosemite, many areas are fully booked 11 months out. Sometimes you can pick up a late cancellation, but that's a rare bit of luck.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 2:41 am

As soon as flights are released for peak time or popular flights. This can be 11 months ish for regular carriers but much less for the LCC I tend to use.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 11:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ijkh
For our 4 month world cruise we booked 3 years in advance. MIA to MIA over 4 months. We couldn't even book our flights for another year. We then booked additional overland trips like Iguazu Falls etc. throughout our trip when they became available for booking. It took a lot of planning but was totally worth it. It was a dream come true.
Have you ever posted a trip report about it? (Here or elsewhere...) That sounds awesome.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 1:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
I booked my Dec. 26 2017 IAD-JNB-CPT flight on 1/26/16. I usually book my NYE trips ~t+ 330 in order to get the seats I want. As it turns out for this trip, me and some buddies were able to get FOUR J award seats on the IAD-JNB leg, which will be on the new SA A330, so we're an entire row 4 across. Should be interesting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.