Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buying non-duty free Wine at US Airports

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2017, 6:07 am
Original Poster

Buying non-duty free Wine at US Airports

In a few weeks my partner and I are flying LAS-LAX-JFK arriving after 11pm.

We are probably staying at a hotel in Manhattan and we'd like to have a bottle of wine to share when we get there. At that time, we probably won't be up for much like going to a bar. We don't want to have to traipse around town looking for a wine shop.

We re trying to go hand baggage only.

So is there non-duty free bottles of wine for sale at these airports? The previous times I've passed through, I've only seen the duty free shops for international passengers. Any suggestions?
Old Jul 22, 2017, 6:20 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MarkFlies
In a few weeks my partner and I are flying LAS-LAX-JFK arriving after 11pm.

We are probably staying at a hotel in Manhattan and we'd like to have a bottle of wine to share when we get there. At that time, we probably won't be up for much like going to a bar. We don't want to have to traipse around town looking for a wine shop.

We re trying to go hand baggage only.

So is there non-duty free bottles of wine for sale at these airports? The previous times I've passed through, I've only seen the duty free shops for international passengers. Any suggestions?
LAS has a non-duty free shop in the D concourse arrivals area near baggage claim. But if you are leaving LAS anything you buy will have to be in CHECKED luggage to get through TSA.
Depending where you are staying in NYC, in the midtown Manhattan there are lots of liquor stores, most are open until midnight Mon-Sat (not Sunday).
Old Jul 22, 2017, 6:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Many airports have airside wine bars that also sell bottles to go, such as Solo Vino at DTW (I think they're a chain), Surdyks (RIP) at MSP and now the restaurant across from it's former location, etc.

I don't understand the above post. OP can buy wine AIRSIDE after going through TSA airport security. This can be done at LAS if OP is *sure* he/she will not be forced to go landside to change terminals at LAX. Otherwise, buy the wine at LAX when you're in the terminal for your departing flight.

Also, make sure you have a bottle opener (most all hotels have them in rooms) or pick a bottle with a screw top. The ones with wings can be taken through TSA security as they don't have a little blade for cutting the foil, but most traditional waiter type corkscrews contain a hidden little knife (that you've probably never noticed) and can be confiscated by TSA.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Jul 25, 2017 at 10:00 pm Reason: Typos including correcting autocorrect.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 7:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Many airports have airside wine bars that also sell bottles to go, such as Solo Vino at DTW (I think they're a chain), Surdyks (RIP) at MSP and now the restaurant across from it's former location, etc.

I don't understand the above post. OP can buy wine AIRSIDE after going through TSA airport security. This can be done at LAS if OP is *sure* he/she will not be forces to go landside to change terminals at LAX. Otherwise, buy the wine at LAX when you're in the terminal for your departing flight.

Also, make sure you have a bottle opener (mot all hotels have them in rooms) or pick a bottle with a screw top. The ones with wings can be talked through TSA security as they don't have a little blade for cutting the foil, but most traditional waiter type corkscrews contain a hidden little knife (that you've probably never noticed) and can be confiscated by TSA.
Do you mean buy from one of the restaurants? I don't know of retail outlets selling wine at these airports. I guess I'm used to European airports where there's normally duty free wine and non-duty-free wine for sale.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 7:57 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
If you are arriving into JFK on AA, you can go here: www.vinovolo.com/locations/NewYork-NY

Otherwise, you can post a question about where you might find a decent wine store near your hotel in the New York City Forum. In general, expect to overpay for airport wine.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 9:25 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
I have seen signs in many USA duty-free stores saying that non-international pax are permitted to purchase goods in the stores. (And I am pretty sure I have seen these signs at LAX.)

Of course, you will be charged sales tax tax on top of the high duty free prices!

There is a Vino Volo in the Bradely terminal (TBIT), so you can purchase wine from them if you can get there; they have a nice selection, albeit with high prices.

What airline are you flying? If AA or UA, you will depart from terminals 4-8, which are connected to TBIT. (Terminals 4-8 are connected to TBIT airside, although it involves stairs, tunnels and passageways.)

ETA: Not relevant to OP, but UA terminal at SFO has a wine shop, near the 80's gates, I think.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 5:12 am

arriving after 11pm.
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
If you are arriving into JFK on AA, you can go here: www.vinovolo.com/locations/NewYork-NY
It will be closed when they arrive:
Hours:
Monday - Saturday: 12 pm - 10 pm, Sunday: 12 pm - 9 pm
Old Jul 23, 2017, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Buy wine from Astor Wines or something and have it delivered to your hotel. I don't know if Astor Wines specifically does this but many wine stores in NYC have free delivery in Manhattan.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by Duke787
Buy wine from Astor Wines or something and have it delivered to your hotel. I don't know if Astor Wines specifically does this but many wine stores in NYC have free delivery in Manhattan.
Best option.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 5:41 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the tips.

I'm leaning towards checking a bag with a bottle purchased before the journey or Vino Volo at LAX.

My aim, I suppose, was to buy a bottle of wine airside for retail prices. I was trying to avoid hotel room service markups and airport restaurant prices.

I think this is normal. Sometimes it's nice to bring wine to enjoy for oneself but often it's nice to bring as a gift when traveling. My experience was that options for this don't seem to exist for US domestic travel and I just wanted to check I wasn't missing something. I mean, a lot of people travel US domestic and hand baggage only.

Like I said I do find it a bit strange as I think it's possible to buy wine in every airport in Europe whether travelling to a duty free area or not. Several wines will be available at most price points.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 7:42 pm

Programs: Mucci, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Thanks for all the tips.

I'm leaning towards checking a bag with a bottle purchased before the journey or Vino Volo at LAX.

My aim, I suppose, was to buy a bottle of wine airside for retail prices. I was trying to avoid hotel room service markups and airport restaurant prices.

I think this is normal. Sometimes it's nice to bring wine to enjoy for oneself but often it's nice to bring as a gift when traveling. My experience was that options for this don't seem to exist for US domestic travel and I just wanted to check I wasn't missing something. I mean, a lot of people travel US domestic and hand baggage only.

Like I said I do find it a bit strange as I think it's possible to buy wine in every airport in Europe whether travelling to a duty free area or not. Several wines will be available at most price points.
If you check wine in your luggage (as I do often), it is wise to buy some travel wine bags. They contain the bottle in case of breakage. Having retrieved my bag dripping on the carousel before, I do not recommend it! Here's the one I've used with great success, but there are others out there: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...enevieve+Avani
Old Jul 23, 2017, 11:29 pm

Duty Free wines are not always cheaper than buying local
Old Jul 25, 2017, 9:34 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I've (thankfully) always had good luck just bringing 1 bottle of wine home per piece of luggage. Bubble-wrapped, and then placed inside a bunch of soft clothing.

Assuming you have the ability to check 1 bag for this itinerary, I'd buy your desired bottle prior to starting the trip. Better than paying airport prices for a bottle you might not be your primary choice anyway...
Old Jul 25, 2017, 10:01 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Do you mean buy from one of the restaurants? I don't know of retail outlets selling wine at these airports. I guess I'm used to European airports where there's normally duty free wine and non-duty-free wine for sale.
At LGA you can buy NYS wine at some NYS souvenir store in T3 (one of the DL terminals).

Surdyk's (spelling?) is a wine store in Minneapolis that also has a cheese store. It's airport branch was a wine store and deli type restaurant combined, with counter service, table/booth service (including the "outdoor" cafe tables in the middle of the main concourse), and take out service. They served wine by the glass or bottle, or you could purchase "off license" bottles and half bottles from the wine store area. The prices for wine to go seemed similar to wine store prices, but there were few sales at the airport location IME. RIP.

The place across the concourse has wine bottles displayed near the cash register, where you would also get takeout food. There is also a restaurant and they seem to now "own" the former Surdyk's outdoor cafe tables.

Vino Velo is a chain of airport wine bars that also function as wine stores, although prices seem higher than at my local wine stores. They're already in a bunch of airports, including DTW, and seem to be rapidly expanding at this time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.