Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Requirement to leave passport at hotel front desk

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2017, 8:12 pm

Programs: DL,EK
Originally Posted by FlyWithKaeMarie
I've only stayed in a hotel in Seoul and nope, I didn't have to leave them my passport. I don't understand why you would? This would give me so much damn anxiety.
Because if you don't consent, they will not let you stay there (at least that was the case in Iran). I had to do the same in Turkmenistan and Yemen.
365RoadWarrior likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 10:48 pm

Spent 12 days in Vietnam in June and everywhere I stayed demanded that I leave my passport with them, and said it was a legal requirement. Every one of those places settled for copies when I refused to leave the passport, although they required a copy of the photo page, visa, and stamps.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 8:11 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nrr
I can go elsewhere, but the NEW hotel will NOT reimburse me for the money I already paid for the first hotel.
Ok, so you CAN go elsewhere, but it's a matter of finances, not that there will be some mixup regarding your registration with local government authorities preventing you from moving. Given the topic, I thought you might have been suggesting the latter.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 8:25 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by nrr
If you've already PREPAID for a hotel, you can't go elsewhere.
Sure you can. Walk out and get another hotel.
Now the cost of doing such a thing is copmpletely a YMMV thing.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 12:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by invisible
Ok, this does not apply to to Western/5* hotel chains but at number of places around Asia they require not only show, but actually leave your passport at front desk.

Have you encountered such demand and how did you deal with it?
Hotel in Spoleto held our passports last month. It happens from time to time, not a fan.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 3:41 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
Thailand sounds strange, since the law requires that you carry your passport with you at all times.
I was asked to leave the passport at the desk twice in Thailand but always declined it. I had similar experiences in France and once in New York (for a hotl that was prepaid by a government grant), never had an issue when insisting to wait until getting it back.
Originally Posted by apodo77
Sure you can. Walk out and get another hotel...
You can also do outright illegal stuff ... for a while at least.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 7:58 pm
NPF

Programs: AA / AV
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
It was a key part in The Day of the Jackal set in France in the 60s. One of the all time great movies.
Indeed, one of my favorite movies. And this September, after several years of bad DVD editions, we will have a fine Blu-Ray new one by Arrow Films in the UK.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 9:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by apodo77
Sure you can. Walk out and get another hotel.
Now the cost of doing such a thing is copmpletely a YMMV thing.
In some cases, you'd need to walk to the next country.
365RoadWarrior likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 11:32 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by invisible
Ok, this does not apply to to Western/5* hotel chains but at number of places around Asia they require not only show, but actually leave your passport at front desk.

Have you encountered such demand and how did you deal with it?
I used to encounter this very frequently in Italy and in various parts of Asia. But with the cheaper, widespread use of scanning/photocopying and internet access, the "leave passport at hotel front desk" has become way less common than it used to be.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA Life-Plat 5MM, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, UA, BA
Last time a hotel wanted my passport for the Entire stay happened a few years ago in Ukraine. But they agreed to get a photocopy.

When it is only to photocopy they always agree (my experience) to get a photocopy. Last time in Andora last month - gave them a photocopy because they said they are busy and will take a few hours or until next motning.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 4:41 am

I've had this in Iran, India, and Vietnam.

In Vietnam ( last month) it seemed to be happen just about everywhere except the two nights I stayed in 5 star places.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 5:55 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, SW, JB, Spirit; Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior
I have had far more than 100 hotels hold my passport. Often, the hotels are performing a required registration with police on you behalf. Sometimes they probably just think their own safe is the most secure place for it - assuming local law enforcement doesn't require that you have it on your person.
I've experienced this a few times as well, particularly in more remote areas of Asia and the Middle East. I also remember quite some time back that being required on my first trip to Paris. Perhaps unfortunately, I've always complied. Half the time I can show them the passport and give them a photocopy, but sometimes they need the visa pages as well.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 11:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If you don't give the hotel a credit card at check in, they could be concerned that you might try to leave without paying. If the hotel holds your passport, in principle this cannot happen.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 5:40 am

Hell no ! my passport stays with me or in my room safe at all times

I don't stay in hotels that are likely to ask such things or i don't visit dodgey enough countries
Old Aug 22, 2017, 12:13 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Park Inn St Petersburg (what was the Pribaltiyskaya) requires you to leave your passport overnight when checking in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.