Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Possible venture to bring ease to airport stresses

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2017, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

Possible venture to bring ease to airport stresses

My name is Nate Gillen and I'm in the midst of a project for my college entrepreneurship class. If any of you have a minute to answer the following questions it would be much appreciated.

1. When traveling via flying, what are some challenges you've observed or experienced yourself in the airport? (not on your flight)

2. What did you do, or what do you do when your flight is delayed? Is cancelled?

3. If you've ever spent an extended amount of time at an airport waiting around, what concerns, if any, did you have with personal space, comfort and privacy?

4. Would you agree or disagree that travelers are increasingly being inconvenienced?

5. If given an option that could improve your airport experience by providing personal space, privacy, and comfort, for both temporary and long term waits, is that something of interest to you?
Old Jul 17, 2017, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Welcome to FT!

It seems to me that you're describing an airport lounge. Every major airline already has these at its hubs and main secondary airports. Frequent travelers often qualify to use those lounges free or can purchase memberships. Others can buy day passes. There are also a few chains of private lounges which one can access on a daily or membership basis. You'll have to explain how what you propose is different from that existing service.

Also, please note that FlyerTalk has a policy against cross-posting: posting the same thing in more than one place.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for the feedback definitely stuff to consider, I guess what I'm hinting at is a more convenient accessible to the everyday traveler way to cope with the stresses that come along with airports to those who value, personal space and comfort. Having such a service more widely available in a manner that wouldn't require a large build out for the airport and could save money for the airliners in a sense that utilizing such a service would cost less to port authority. Just sorta coming up with stuff. Thanks for the heads up on cross-posting as well!

It's nothing serious just an idea to possibly expound upon for a college entrepreneurship class, haha.

Last edited by JY1024; Jul 17, 2017 at 11:10 pm Reason: Merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Jul 17, 2017, 9:33 pm

Nate,

Welcome and good luck.

1. For me the biggest problem is at the security checkpoint. I've been treated very well most of the time, but sometimes I get a free pat down. I have always been asked if it's alright if they run their fingers down my pants and I generally consent. After all, if I make a fuss, they'll get back at me by taking an excessive amount of my time.

So, basically getting through security is the biggest problem at the airport. Secondary problems are insufficient lounge food options, hard seats at the gate area and little children running around.

2. I have had lots of flights delayed and not a lot cancelled. As I generally fly using award schemes obtained by a company I work for, I usually phone my boss and we figure things out. I have authorization that say, if I got to Calgary and found my flight was cancelled, that I can do whatever is necessary to get on the next flight, and that sometimes involves getting the CC out and taking another airline.

I very rarely buy cancellation insurance. I'm gambling that 95% of the time my flight is on time. My Dad used to buy all the insurance he could get, only to find it didn't cover him when he needed it. We are assuming that most of the time, a 500 dollar flight will not be cancelled and if so, we assume that the airline will rebook.

3. I used to sit at the gate area for an insane amount of time (sometimes 3-5 hours), but now I generally go to a lounge, typically one where a WJ BP gets me a discount. I like to graze on the sandwiches, in bigger centers have some hot food and desserts. Even if the food isn't any good, it's a passable way to spend some time and it generally is much more comfortable than sitting at the gate area. I do like sitting at the gate area if I'm in a group, but when I am asked what I do and I reply, "Minister", I get all sorts of crazy conversations. I would probably have similar conversations if I said, "Oncologist" or "Physician" (not my job, just an example) but sometimes I'd rather sit at the lounge with a plate of pastries and a couple Cokes. As for concerns? I don't drink, smoke or leer at girls, so I'm pretty safe. I do get the occasional nutjob, but that happens to everybody.

4. Depends on the airline. AC is sometimes out to screw you. Westjet, not so much. I own stock in Westjet and I trust it's product. Even if I'm flying basic economy, they treat you well and they're pleasant. However, I have noticed a decline in basic service levels across the board. When I first flew AC, we got a free meal and drinks for cash. Now they want you to purchase vouchers for drinks or pay with a CC, even on WJ.

5. Yeah. Invent a lounge that serves really good food. Showers and computer stations should be SOP. I hate a lounge where I pay 50 bucks and they don't have anything that separates them from a 14.99 meal at Dennys. I don't drink, so food is a priority.

Chuck
Old Jul 17, 2017, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I would love more sleep rooms in lounges for delays.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by NateGillen
My name is Nate Gillen and I'm in the midst of a project for my college entrepreneurship class. If any of you have a minute to answer the following questions it would be much appreciated.

1. When traveling via flying, what are some challenges you've observed or experienced yourself in the airport? (not on your flight)

2. What did you do, or what do you do when your flight is delayed? Is cancelled?

3. If you've ever spent an extended amount of time at an airport waiting around, what concerns, if any, did you have with personal space, comfort and privacy?

4. Would you agree or disagree that travelers are increasingly being inconvenienced?

5. If given an option that could improve your airport experience by providing personal space, privacy, and comfort, for both temporary and long term waits, is that something of interest to you?
I would almost swear that these exact questions were asked by someone else a couple of months ago. Does the course direct you to FT for your research?
Old Jul 18, 2017, 12:11 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by NateGillen
Thank you for the feedback definitely stuff to consider, I guess what I'm hinting at is a more convenient accessible to the everyday traveler way to cope with the stresses that come along with airports to those who value, personal space and comfort. Having such a service more widely available in a manner that wouldn't require a large build out for the airport and could save money for the airliners in a sense that utilizing such a service would cost less to port authority. Just sorta coming up with stuff. Thanks for the heads up on cross-posting as well!

It's nothing serious just an idea to possibly expound upon for a college entrepreneurship class, haha.
Good luck with your research.

With that said, as a retired university professor, I feel I should suggest that you will get more and more serious responses if you pay more attention to your use of the English language. Perhaps you might proofread more.

Grammar, spelling and syntax errors do not serve you well in representing yourself as a serious student. The post quoted above does not read as university-level work.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 6:19 am

Programs: US Gold
abmj-jr: OP's conversational style seems to me perfectly reasonable for posting in a discussion forum, even if the subject under discussion is university-level work.

I agree with CKA1 that security checkpoints are the most stressful part of flying. I too have been treated professionally, but even so. Like others here, I then go to the frequent flyer lounge and unwind until flight time.

wg

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.