Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

why don't Americans (hotels) do breakfast?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

why don't Americans (hotels) do breakfast?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2017, 3:33 pm

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Odd, most Europe breakfast (excluding UK) is simply cold - similar to offering at a Hampton Inn in the US. It is all relative - I find the Phillipines has the biggest spread but consider they eat rice, chicken, pork, etc. for breakfast locally so competitively it is a requirement vs. US hotel which simply can state we have Starbucks coffee and Greek yogurt as an attraction.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 7:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Speaking for myself, yes, I have been to places with the type of spread you describe, both in the US and Asia. They're not "breakfast" for the average the human, they're an indulgence in excess, a marketing tool and a ridiculous waste of food.

See? Other people can be as critical as the OP.

What I look for in breakfast is a variety of food that allow me to select a mix protein, vitamins and carbs and to get on with my day in a reasonable amount of time. If I want to spend hours on the meal and consume thousands of calories in a single meal, I will go out for a luxury brunch - which seems to be what the OP refers to as "breakfast."
Where have you seen such a great spread in the US?
I would call what you describe "feast"
Old Apr 7, 2017, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
No breakfast at the hotel I'm currently staying at in Hong Kong.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 10:13 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by RooseveltL
Odd, most Europe breakfast (excluding UK) is simply cold - similar to offering at a Hampton Inn in the US.
I've found that European hotels generally offer yoghurt, müesli, cheeses, cold cuts, (and probably more things, but can't recall).
OTOH, many chains in the US serve what lots of airlines offer for breakfast - cold fruit, nasty eggs, and some kind of cereal.

I'll take Turkish and Japanese breakfasts any day.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 6:13 am

The sausages served outside the UK are just not the same.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 6:55 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
I find this statement to be wrong... I usually stay at properties under $100 here in the US.... and one reason is for free breakfast, free parking and free internet.

The brands include Hampton Inn, Hyatt Place, Hyatt House and Country Inn and Suites.

However, when we traveled in Europe last year... only one of the four hotels provided a free breakfast.... and they were above $100 in average cost.

Originally Posted by s0ssos
No brand in parricular, but $100 in US will get you nothing. In Europe 100eur will get you a nice breakfast.

In Asia even low-cost brands, like a Holiday inn Express for $45. Though in Asia I find hotels are a better value for the money.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 7:16 am

When the kids were little, we always stayed at Hampton Inn (Hilton chain) or if traveling during the week at Marriotts where they offer breakfast + a free light dinner at many of them which was usually chili/nachos or mini sandwiches + yogurt. Hilton Garden Inn was also a favorite depending on your status since they offer made to order omelets.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Whether your breakfast is free or not, in many of the Asian places mentioned above, these hotels are often destinations in themselves for LOCALS, who will regularly go to these hotels for business (during the week) or personal (weekend), so these excellent breakfast buffets are profit centers for the hotels in the same way that many such hotels have elaborate bakery operations for the local market, or even dry cleaning services. This sort of local hotel as destination for food and other things does not really exist in the US and Europe (yes, in some big cities there are certain "go to" hotels for meals, especially business breakfasts or lunch, but the rest of the local component does not really exist.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 10:41 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by hfly
Whether your breakfast is free or not, in many of the Asian places mentioned above, these hotels are often destinations in themselves for LOCALS, who will regularly go to these hotels for business (during the week) or personal (weekend), so these excellent breakfast buffets are profit centers for the hotels in the same way that many such hotels have elaborate bakery operations for the local market, or even dry cleaning services. This sort of local hotel as destination for food and other things does not really exist in the US and Europe (yes, in some big cities there are certain "go to" hotels for meals, especially business breakfasts or lunch, but the rest of the local component does not really exist.
I've noticed that, too.

Buffets in Jakarta apparently do quite a brisk weekend business. This one in Riyadh was also quite popular.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 10:42 am
Suspended

Programs: Accor, IHG, LH, BAEC, DB
Originally Posted by cbn42
I think that Americans might just be more price-sensitive. Just as airlines are eliminating the frills in order to lower rates, hotels may also be doing the same. Very few Americans will choose a hotel because of the breakfast, but many will choose a hotel because it was the cheapest option on Expedia.
My impression is that Americans love all-you-can-eat, unlimited voice and data, unlimited free miles with a rental car, premium cable with a gazillion channels (as opposed to pay-per-view), a LV nightlife package with free limo pickup and free drinks, etc.

So I don't find your argument fully convincing.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 11:21 am

Most Americans generally have just not been exposed to the extravagant buffet breakfast spreads available in Asia (especially) but frankly many true luxury hotels in the world. So they really just don't know what they're missing, and therefore don't expect or demand it. But this is most exciting on the first day. Third day on, one might just have coffee and toast!

The local Asians tend to go for buffet brunches, lunches and dinners (not breakfasts) at five star hotels. Le Royal Monceau Raffles Paris has foie gras for brunch. EUR 145 if I remember correctly. Many hotels in London have free flow champagne.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 8:31 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
I would not bother with breakfast in US due to low quality/selection of food.

Europe and especially Asia is different matter. I am writing this message from a small hotel is a small town in Germany. Breakfast selection includes five different dishes not counting all the different cheeses and sausages. When stayed at Marriott at Heidelberg for a week couple of of years ago, my wife managed to gain 3lb from their generous breakfast buffet.

And Asia is whole different ballgame - I yet to see a place which does not offer breakfast at premises and usually it is great quality/selection as well. One reason is that food and preparation is way cheaper comparing to US/EU/NZ/AU.

Another matter is how much 'free breakfast' would add to the final bill. Yesterday I was in Switzerland where breakfast option at the hotel was 25 Swiss francs. While selection was great, right across the street there was big supermarket with plenty of hot and cold food options from deli section, in addition to all yogurt/milk products. I went there and for the half of the price of hotel buffet stock up enough food for three breakfasts. If there are two and more people stay at the hotel for more than couple of days, these savings are substantial.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.