Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Have you experienced unfriendly locals/country in your travels?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Have you experienced unfriendly locals/country in your travels?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2017, 4:34 pm

I had a good time in Argentina; the people struck me as proud rather than belligerent or rude.
People in Turkey showed themselves to be rude/obtuse when I wentvto teach at a University there and they wouldn't pay me; I have never seen such an overwrought and broken bureaucracy, and I had this strange feeling that they hold "Turkishness" above all else, even common sense and courtesy. Although, to be fair, away from work down near the South west beach towns there people were warm and friendly.

Last edited by yandosan; Jul 11, 2017 at 4:50 pm
Old Jul 11, 2017, 4:50 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by Jesperss
Argentina is the rudest country I've visited. Never seen such egotistical people.
Buenos Aires or elsewhere? People in Patagonia and Tierra del Fuego I found to be very kind and helpful.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by eigenvector
Buenos Aires or elsewhere? People in Patagonia and Tierra del Fuego I found to be very kind and helpful.
BA...
Old Jul 12, 2017, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The thread title asks about "unfriendly locals." My first trips to Asia were both in 1994, first to China (Shenzhen and a small town called Shekou) and then to Tokyo. For me, the contrast was quite marked. In China, I felt truly welcomed; locals seemed happy to see me, and going into shops and restaurants, the staff did their best to help me as, at the time, I spoke no Mandarin. In Tokyo, on the other hand, no one was rude (this was Japan, after all), but I felt tolerated, rather than welcomed. The attitude that I perceived was, "Well, it's okay that you're here, and you seem to be conducting yourself acceptably, but you're a foreigner and we know that could change at any moment." Now, I was there on business, and my Japanese hosts were extraordinarily accommodating and considerate. They took me to some fine restaurants and there, too, I was treated extremely well by the staff. However, that attitude did not extend to my personal travels. No one was ever even remotely rude to me. However, was my trip to China having been so recent, the contrast in the overall reception I received was quite marked.

I also don't understand why so many people have had negative experiences in France. I love France, and have had only positive interactions in the French, including Parisians. I speak some French which, I'm sure, helps, but I'm far from fluent. My wife, on the other hand, speaks no French (and is Chinese), but she's also had nothing but positive experiences.

FWIW, when I go to a new country, I've always made it a point to do a little research on cultural and social norms, and memorize a few words and phrases that allow for basic politeness.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 9:51 am
Suspended

Really, the only place where I have found people overtly rude is the UK. Specifically, England because Scotland, Wales and Ulster seem to have friendlier people. The English can be amazingly polite, but they can also be miserable .......s who twist the knife for it's own sake. They can often be quite condescending in a business environment as well. However, when it comes to outright hostility from strangers in the street, it was only ever in London and Leeds where drunken lager louts in the street would actively seek out trouble from passers by.

It says a lot, because for me as a native English speaker there is no language barrier, and as a white guy I hardly stand out in the UK. I have been through the slums of South America, the ghettos of Eastern Europe, the jungles of Indonesia and the deserts of the middle east and only in England have I encountered random trouble from strangers. I hate to revert to stereotypes, but I would be negligent if I did not point out that alcohol tends to be the main factor. What is even more strange is that when you meet English in OTHER parts of the world, outside of England, they tend to be on their best behavior and the friendliest people you will ever meet. But at home, it's a much different story.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 10:28 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
The big problem with the UK....

...is that non UK'ers don't really have a concept of taking the [redacted].
The fact is the more folks take the [redacted] I found the more they actually like you. However for a first timer it may come across as condescending or disdainful when it's really a manner of poking fun.
Just watch a British comedy then watch an American one. Or watch the UK version of The Office and then the US one.

Last edited by StartinSanDiego; Jul 13, 2017 at 9:34 am Reason: This slang term is more offensive out of the UK
Old Jul 12, 2017, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HomerJ
The fact is the more folks take the [redacted] I found the more they actually like you. However for a first timer it may come across as condescending or disdainful when it's really a manner of poking fun.
Just watch a British comedy then watch an American one. Or watch the UK version of The Office and then the US one.
I tend to agree. I have spent more time than I'd like to admit in pubs around England, and always wound up having a great time with people who had a wicked sense of humor (or humour )

Last edited by StartinSanDiego; Jul 13, 2017 at 9:33 am Reason: removed slang from quote, see above
Old Jul 12, 2017, 1:18 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
The most unfriendly place I have ever been was to a small Scottish island in the off season.

We were in the bar of our hotel, and tried to make conversation with the locals but were snubbed in a very rude manner. The hotel barman was actually embarrassed by their behaviour towards us.

We did revisit many years later, in season, and the bar was MUCH friendlier - but I'd hazard a guess that that was down to the other tourists visiting at the same time!
Old Jul 12, 2017, 1:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by HomerJ
Americans do. Except we call it [redacted] and out habit is to restrict it to very close friends..not strangers or people we just met.

Last edited by StartinSanDiego; Jul 13, 2017 at 9:31 am Reason: American and UK slang terms removed
Old Jul 12, 2017, 2:37 pm

There are rude people everywhere but out of the 60 odd countries i've been to China and Israel stick out as countries were the overwhelming majority of people were rude to me - although I did meet a few friendly people there as well so not all were rude. However, I am brown skinned and a lot of Chinese are downright racist towards darker complexioned people so that may be the cause.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 9:00 am

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG Gold Elite, Marriott Rewards
Smile Japan is actually the warmest most friendly of all

Originally Posted by Badenoch
Yes. Japan. Never felt welcome there.
We have to thoroughly disagree with Badenoch who unfortunately seems to have made a blanket negative comment regarding Japan without any supporting details.

After being married for over 49 years and having visited 30+ countries we have to say that Japan is the one country that is so consistently warm, welcoming and friendly that it keeps drawing us back again and again.

Although we have visited thirty-plus countries over the past decades, and many of them are friendly, there are none that are so unfriendly bad that they deserved to be named here.

We first visited Japan in 2008 for 11 days, returning in 2010 for 21 days and in 2014 for 27 days. To anyone contemplating such a visit, do a lot of research ; make all your own travel and hotel arrangements and avoid package / group tours like the plague! You do not need to speak a word of Japanese to be understood or have a fantastic time. A smile and a gentle polite voice works wonders!

We can't wait to go back again; to spend another week in Yokohama, return also to Nagasaki for a week and a few more days off the beaten track!

Please don't visit Tokyo without going further afield. And please understand that the Japanese are extremely careful about punctuality and obeying rules. Simply do not go to a hotel desk and expect to check-in early just because you're a tourist arriving from the airport.
Konichiwa!

Last edited by TemboOne; Jul 13, 2017 at 10:30 am
Old Jul 13, 2017, 9:24 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by TemboOne
You do not need to speak a word of Japanese to be understood or have a fantastic time.
No doubt not speaking the language helps the facade of friendliness.

During my travels there I was with a Caucasian who was fluent in the language. You get a very different impression of a place when you know what people are saying when they think you do not understand them.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think a lot of the issues people have with France are with not speaking the language - the French can be very proud of Le Beau Français...

I was in the Gare du Nord and couldn't find my train. Walking up to the information booth, I could see the lady inside glaring at the dumb AMerican tromping up to her. And when I asked her, in French, where I could find my connecting train, she broke into a ear-to-ear grin, came out of her booth, put her hand on my back, and walked with me to the place I needed to go.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 10:45 am

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG Gold Elite, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by Badenoch
No doubt not speaking the language helps the facade of friendliness.

During my travels there I was with a Caucasian who was fluent in the language. You get a very different impression of a place when you know what people are saying when they think you do not understand them.
Very interesting comment but I must disagree because we have made many good Japanese friends in Japan (from seniors to schoolchildren) - in the Tokyo-Yokohama-Kamakura area and have been treated the same when out with them as when we have travelled alone independently down through Kawaguchiko, Kyoto, Osaka, Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Everywhere we were treated only with kindness and respect - the same kindness and respect we give to everyone we deal with - in Japan and everywhere else we travel. In fact one our treasured photos from Japan was taken at the 26 Martyrs Shrine in Nagasaki where a group of visiting schoolchildren asked to take a picture with us.

Last edited by TemboOne; Jul 13, 2017 at 11:06 am
Old Jul 13, 2017, 10:58 am

Yes, I have in Kulu Lumpur. I am a black woman. I was in the mall shopping and one of the ladies yell out something. It's like they never seen black people. I later learned they have a lot of male students from countries in Africa and they have issues with them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.