Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The most annoying travel sounds

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2017, 3:48 pm

Programs: MR Platinum, and a certain status at an unnamed airline
Originally Posted by pinniped
The first time I stayed at the W Seattle, there was a live DJ about ten feet inside the main front door to the hotel at 3PM on a Tuesday. You had to walk around him dragging your luggage and then go up a few steps to get to the check-in counter.

I get that it sorts of fits with the W vibe (although W sometimes feels like it's stuck in the late 1990s to me), but at 3PM?

Then there was the Intercontinental San Juan, which had loud electronica in the lobby, so loud you had to practically shout to check-in. That totally *doesn't* go with the IC vibe and was rather annoying.
I think my weirdest hotel music story was this past Christmas at a Ritz Carlton. I was literally walking through the lobby and recognized the lobby music was literally The Lord's Prayer being sung by a gospel singer. It being Christmas and I being Catholic, I didn't mind, but it did make me stop and say, "what?"
Old Feb 21, 2017, 4:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai
Me snoring and waking myself up
I have video'd my wife sleeping/snoring/waking herself up on a plane. Its pretty funny. I quickly realized the error of my way after telling her about said video. I learned (was taught) it wasn't funny anymore.

Last edited by Mr. Vker; Feb 21, 2017 at 5:13 pm
Old Feb 21, 2017, 4:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
The 1980s clock radio in my motel room going off at 5am when I've forgotten to deactivate the alarm.

In my case it generally continues to sound for some time whilst I swear at it and try, in my sleepy/hungover/still-drunk state to figure out:

a) what the hell is making such a God awful racket,

and

b) which button to press to shut the freaking thing up.

Then it goes off again 10 minutes later because I've pressed the snooze button by mistake.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 4:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
I have video'd my wife sleeping/snoring/waking herself up. Its pretty funny. I quickly realized the error of my way after telling her about said video. I learned (was taught) it wasn't funny anymore.
Some religious orders claim that long periods of celibacy are good for you.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 5:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Some religious orders claim that long periods of celibacy are good for you.
I forgot to say on a plane on my original post....that wasnt clear.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
The Airbus "Saw" noise.
Originally Posted by PAX_fips
Cargo doors?
Usually called "barking dog" and applied to the Airbii twins (319/320) and apparently something with the hydraulics. I hate it!!
Old Feb 21, 2017, 7:25 pm

Hotel wake-up calls Loud and annoying, but it gets the job done I guess...
Old Feb 21, 2017, 7:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
The change in pitch of the engines when landing is aborted. Add another 20-30 minutes to your arrival time.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by backprop
The TSA announcements at the airport (at least my home airport, STL).

And the Beep! Beep! Beep! of the passenger golf cart, no matter if it's moving forward or in reverse.
Me too. The beep beep of those important cart peple is so loud and annoying.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 8:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue
Originally Posted by PAX_fips
Cargo doors?
The Airbus 'saw noise' also sounds like a mad, barking dog. The noise is audible on certain Airbus models and I believe is some sort of pump (power transfer unit pump) that supplies power to the other hydraulic circuit whose own power isn't available because its engine is shut down. I hear it usually when taxiing from the gate on a single engine or after landing during the taxi to the gate after one engine is shut down.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 8:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue
Originally Posted by justforfun
The change in pitch of the engines when landing is aborted. Add another 20-30 minutes to your arrival time.
Yep, that's a butt-clenching sound!
Old Feb 21, 2017, 9:11 pm

On a plane? The giant sucking sound of the toilet flushing... and the vacuum that tries to carry you along with the...toilety stuff.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 9:32 pm
Original Poster

The timer beeps of the ovens on board.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 9:38 pm

Programs: delta platinum medallion
Originally Posted by Proudelitist

The Airbus "Saw" noise.

What is this noise? Always wondered...
Old Feb 21, 2017, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
The 1980s clock radio in my motel room going off at 5am when I've forgotten to deactivate the alarm.
easier to yank the plug out of the wall ... unless the outlet is behind the bed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.