Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BKK-PER

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2017, 6:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles; Hilton HHonors; NEXUS; National Emerald Club Executive
BKK-PER

I am spending three weeks in Thailand in March. I have some family in Perth and am thinking about doing a one-week side trip to Australia.

I have been to Thailand once, and I've never been to Australia before. So I don't really know how to shop for good deals on plane tickets in the region, nor do I have status with any of the airlines in that part of the world.

Can anyone give me some ideas on the best way to get a good deal BKK-PER round trip? Not just who to fly, but also how to book?

Last edited by txviking; Jan 11, 2017 at 8:23 pm
Old Jan 11, 2017, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Use Google.com/flights - put in dates and BKK - PER. It seems to pull in most Asia LCC/ULCC in addition to the majors.

Old Jan 11, 2017, 10:56 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
If you're flying to perth, and sticking to lcc(plan now), you'll either go through SIN or KUL. It's up to your choice of where to transfer, though I personally prefer SIN for the resting area and entertainment.

Airline wise, Scoot/Jetstar/Airasia are your top budget options. the first two transfer in SIN and latter has their hub in KUL. If you want to see the combinations, could also try out Hellowings to see which dates of your three week has the best combo
Old Jan 12, 2017, 3:44 am

Throw in Malindo/Batik into the mix for a hybrid "full-service" carrier.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by txviking
I am spending three weeks in Thailand in March. I have some family in Perth and am thinking about doing a one-week side trip to Australia.

I have been to Thailand once, and I've never been to Australia before. So I don't really know how to shop for good deals on plane tickets in the region, nor do I have status with any of the airlines in that part of the world.

Can anyone give me some ideas on the best way to get a good deal BKK-PER round trip? Not just who to fly, but also how to book?
Tickets to Oz are often more expensive than you would think. I've flown BKK/PER a dozen times and always on SQ. There are cheaper options. Try a travel agent in Bangkok.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles; Hilton HHonors; NEXUS; National Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
Tickets to Oz are often more expensive than you would think. I've flown BKK/PER a dozen times and always on SQ. There are cheaper options. Try a travel agent in Bangkok.
I'm finding that out – currently I'd be looking at paying more for BKK-PER than for DFW-BKK. I also know prices tend to be higher if you book close to the time of travel, and I won't be in Bangkok until about 10 days before my trip.

Can you recommend a travel agent in Bangkok that I'd be able to contact remotely via phone/email?
Old Jan 12, 2017, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm finding that out – currently I'd be looking at paying more for BKK-PER than for DFW-BKK. I also know prices tend to be higher if you book close to the time of travel, and I won't be in Bangkok until about 10 days before my trip.

Can you recommend a travel agent in Bangkok that I'd be able to contact remotely via phone/email?
What dates are you looking at?

I'm seeing $250-350 depending on dates/carrier
Old Jan 12, 2017, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

Was looking at something like 3/12 until 3/17 or 18. I can be a bit flexible with the dates, but I have two constraints:

3/11 I'm attending a wedding in Bangkok
3/19 I'm flying back to the United States – and I want to have enough of a margin that I don't risk missing that flight if the return flight from Australia gets delayed/cancelled
Old Jan 13, 2017, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

$300 -$325 for AirAsia/Air AsiaX depending on timing for DMK - KUL - PER - KUL - DMK but no overnight layovers just potentially long layover's followed by overnight flights.

$295 for Scoot DMK - SIN - PER - SIN - DMK. Decent layover on the outbound though return requires an overnight in Singapore.

Combination fare:

$135 - $150 for DMK - KUL - PER on AirAsia/AirAsiaX
$154USD ($204AUD) for PER - SIN - PER on JetStar for the return

All bookable and searchable directly from google.com/flights
Old Jan 31, 2017, 5:26 pm
Original Poster

Thanks to all who responded! I managed to get a direct flight booked with FF miles from United + 1000 extra FF miles transferred from Chase UR; booking it through United's web portal let me get the direct Thai Airways flight. Cost me under $96, which was government fees split roughly 2/3 Australia and 1/3 Thailand.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 8:30 pm
Suspended

Thanks to all who responded! I managed to get a direct flight booked with FF miles from United + 1000 extra FF miles transferred from Chase UR; booking it through United's web portal let me get the direct Thai Airways flight. Cost me under $96, which was government fees split roughly 2/3 Australia and 1/3 Thailand.
How many miles did it cost you 1-way?
Old Feb 7, 2017, 2:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Vaucluse
How many miles did it cost you 1-way?
35000 round trip. So I guess it would've been 17500 one way.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 7:13 am
ATD

Programs: Emirates Skywards, Delta Skymiles, Continental Onepass, etc.
35000 round trip. So I guess it would've been 17500 one way.
keep in mind that for this many miles you can also fly BKK-PER-AKL-BKK using the "Excursionist Perk" benefit with United. Maybe can consider for next time.

--ATD

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.