Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Captain physical shape - is it important?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Captain physical shape - is it important?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2016, 8:26 am

Programs: AA MM (like it matters!) All of my flying was personal travel, and COVID-19 stopped that.
I'm 5'5" and about 300 lbs. I recently had the opportunity to fly a 737-800 simulator. I was initially worried about getting into what looked like a quite snug seat.

The 737 pilot and copilot seats are mounted on J-rail platforms. They are normally moved full outboard and full aft to allow the pilots to get in and out of the seats, and then adjusted forward and inboard, to allow them to reach the rudder pedals and be centered in front of the yoke.

As it turned out, the cockpit was actually quite comfortable for me, and the 737-800 is a VERY enjoyable airplane to fly. Demanding, yes, but rewarding as well.

Edited in March 2017, primarily to correct the point about seat mounting: Across the Christmas/New Years week, I put in 8 solid hours in this simulator. Between the J-rail seat and the handhold above the cockpit window, getting in and out of the seat was no problem at all. My one big problem is that flying the 737-800, even in simulation, is HIGHLY addictive!

Last edited by zarkov505; Mar 28, 2017 at 12:17 pm
Old Oct 27, 2016, 4:05 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by zarkov505
I'm 5'5" and about 300 lbs. I recently had the opportunity to fly a 737 simulator. I was initially worried about getting into what looked like a quite snug seat.

The 737 pilot and copilot seats are mounted on platforms that can be moved both fore-and-aft and side-to-side. They are normally moved full outboard and full aft to allow the pilots to get in and out of the seats, and then adjusted forward and inboard, to allow them to reach the rudder pedals and be centered in front of the yoke.

As it turned out, the cockpit was actually quite comfortable for me, and the 737 is a VERY enjoyable airplane to fly. Demanding, yes, but rewarding as well.
i hear the 319/320/321 is even better cause the seats are electric and there's tons of elbow and shoulder room

agreed that the 737 looks much tighter but amazing what engineering can do

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.