Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Why do most new hotels have glass walls?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why do most new hotels have glass walls?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2016, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by Long Train Runnin
That is quirky hotel. I have stayed there twice in transit of CGK. They also have the horse lamp that gets posted about in the BA lounge in their entry way.
Next time stay there with a work colleague! You'll be longing for a clear glass toilet after no door across the toilet.

It was an unusual little hotel. I got chastised in the gift shop/mini mart for not being sure of the amount I had to give her. It made me feel really uncomfortable.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 10:31 pm

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
Citizen M hotels have see-through toilets and showers. Have stayed in a few on my travels.

Will see how wife likes it when we stay in the Glasgow one in a few weeks.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 1:46 pm
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Next time stay there with a work colleague! You'll be longing for a clear glass toilet after no door across the toilet.

It was an unusual little hotel. I got chastised in the gift shop/mini mart for not being sure of the amount I had to give her. It made me feel really uncomfortable.
Yeah the best thing I will say about that hotel is the breakfast started at 4:30AM so even you had an early flight you could still eat. ^ Most airport hotels fail in this area.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 3:52 am

Oh, no kidding! Breakfast that starts at 8am? Are you kidding me? We've already been awake for two or three hours by that point.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 7:37 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Next time stay there with a work colleague!
If my job required me to share any hotel room with a work colleague, I'd be looking for new employment. But, I would think that sharing a hotel room without bathroom privacy would test even the most collegial working relationship
Old Oct 21, 2016, 9:34 am

Only had to deal with the glass walls once, thank goodness, but I did have one worse - a bathroom in the bedroom with no door whatsoever and the toilet in full view. That was on a romantic getaway with a new lover and we had to alternate sending each other out of the room to do our business.

TripAdvisor is great for exposing those kinds of places ahead of time so I don't make the same mistake.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 9:51 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
The other issue is light. After a certain age, trips to the bathroom in the middle of the night become usual. So, if sharing a room (even with a spouse or lover), you risk waking the other person up. And the light always shines through those few places that have some sort of shade.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 12:14 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by VivoPerLei
Only had to deal with the glass walls once, thank goodness, but I did have one worse - a bathroom in the bedroom with no door whatsoever and the toilet in full view.
That, I just do not get. How many adults are so close that they enjoy seeing each other take a dump? Rule 34 notwithstanding it's got to be a very small number.

I don't even like having the commode in view when I'm the only person in the room. Keep it discreetly out of the way. I don't need to see the ol' crap can constantly from my bed or desk.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 12:19 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by boybi
What's the purpose of the see through glass between the room and the toilet?
So you can poop in front of a small audience!?

The feature is stupid, if you can't have any privacy in the bathroom.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 12:48 pm

Programs: DL Silver
Happened to me in Thailand in two separate hotels. It's really awkward regardless of who's in the room with you.
Oxnardjan likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've had glass bathroom walls in India, Japan, Canada and a couple of other places. On my own, I love them, as they make everything seem more spacious. With other people, provided there is a shade / switch to make the glass opaque, I am fine. I haven't had one with no shade / opaqueness (although I did have a broken shade last week at the Holiday Inn Delhi Airport - but it was stuck down).
Old Oct 28, 2016, 3:35 pm

Its not bad when your with a SO but with family it makes no sense.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 1:57 am

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
That, I just do not get. How many adults are so close that they enjoy seeing each other take a dump? Rule 34 notwithstanding it's got to be a very small number.
I visited a friend's house a few weeks ago after he had just done major renovations. He'd knocked down the master bedroom - bathroom walls, so there was nothing else but glass in between the bedroom and the bathroom / toilet ... but what made me really LOL was that the bathroom had no door.

"Open concept living" he said. But having to take a dump knowing your spouse can watch you, AND smell your turd at the same time?
Oxnardjan likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 2:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by shuigao
I visited a friend's house a few weeks ago after he had just done major renovations. He'd knocked down the master bedroom - bathroom walls, so there was nothing else but glass in between the bedroom and the bathroom / toilet ... but what made me really LOL was that the bathroom had no door.

"Open concept living" he said. But having to take a dump knowing your spouse can watch you, AND smell your turd at the same time?
I have no bathroom door on the ensuite in the main bathroom. The toilet is around the corner and at the end of a walkway.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 12:42 am

Originally Posted by gilbertaue
Makes a small room look larger.
I agree with this.

Modern hotels have these glass walls for other particular reasons. The glass walls are one of the biggest trends in the modern architecture. These types of walls were designed to make every part of every establishment elegant and transparent, also helping the natural light to come in.

Main disadvantage I see is the vulnerability of the these walls to breakage as they lack structural support compared to traditional walls.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.