Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Are political T-shirts/swag inappropriate or prohibited in lounges/FC cabins?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are political T-shirts/swag inappropriate or prohibited in lounges/FC cabins?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2016, 7:27 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by kas628
Mine says, "A Woman's Place is in the White House" and I have never been asked to cover it up.
Welcome to FT.

Try wearing it in some ME countries !
Old Sep 23, 2016, 7:36 pm
Suspended

Highly thinking of making/wearing a t-shirt that says "Continental ruined United" along with a tulip and wearing it on PMCO flights.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 6:49 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I few years ago on a BA flight a guy got on wearing this t-shirt:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/I-think-hes.../dp/B0054ITW9I
Old Sep 24, 2016, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I few years ago on a BA flight a guy got on wearing this t-shirt:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/I-think-hes.../dp/B0054ITW9I
What a stupid t-shirt.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 8:50 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I was at an ATL Skyclub back in March and a woman was sporting a three inch wide VOTE TRUMP button.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
What a stupid t-shirt.
The guy to his left needs to wear a T shirt that says " I am with stupid" pointing to your right.

https://www.google.com/search?q=i+am...d_HIgH5430M%3A
Old Sep 26, 2016, 5:33 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
The Swissport lounge in Aberdeen doesn't allow "clothing with offensive religious or political messaging" http://www.executivelounges.com/airp...airport-lounge The main Swissport website just says "offensive slogans" but I guess Aberdeen felt the need to spell it out.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 11:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by kas628
Mine says, "A Woman's Place is in the White House" and I have never been asked to cover it up.
Of course, the toilets need to be cleaned

its a joke people
Old Sep 27, 2016, 1:03 pm

Perhaps lounges should keep an ugly jacket behind the counter, so if someone shows up in an offensive t-shirt, they are given the the choice to change into something more appropriate or wear the house jacket as a means of public shaming.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 1:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Low Roller
The Swissport lounge in Aberdeen doesn't allow "clothing with offensive religious or political messaging" http://www.executivelounges.com/airp...airport-lounge The main Swissport website just says "offensive slogans" but I guess Aberdeen felt the need to spell it out.
I don't think the connotations are the same. To me, offensive slogans would mean four letter words or tasteless sexually explicit content, probably not religious or political references, although Nazi stuff would be an exception.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I don't think the connotations are the same. To me, offensive slogans would mean four letter words or tasteless sexually explicit content, probably not religious or political references, although Nazi stuff would be an exception.
The problem is that different people find different things offensive. Since airport lounges are designed to be a peaceful respite, I think the polite thing is to avoid wearing anything that may offend other passengers. Obviously, some people are easily offended and lounge staff are not the fashion police, but I think that avoiding t-shirts with any controversial slogan or message is a good place to start.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by Low Roller
The problem is that different people find different things offensive. Since airport lounges are designed to be a peaceful respite, I think the polite thing is to avoid wearing anything that may offend other passengers. Obviously, some people are easily offended and lounge staff are not the fashion police, but I think that avoiding t-shirts with any controversial slogan or message is a good place to start.
How does one decide "I think the polite thing is to avoid wearing anything that may offend other passengers."?

Isn't one man's freedom of speech another's offensive material ?

Should we all go back to wearing white ( although the fashionistas will look at it in disdain after Labour Day !)
Old Sep 27, 2016, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by HMPS
Isn't one man's freedom of speech another's offensive material ?
Often, yes. Just because you have the right to say (or wear) something offensive, doesn't mean you should I just don't see the point of wearing something designed to annoy or provoke others. It's easy enough to inadvertently offend people. So, why go out of your way to deliberately do so? Plus, political t-shirts look tacky

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.