Wiki Posts
Search

Aborted Takeoff

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2016, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Aborted Takeoff

Had my first aborted takeoff yesterday. I've had lots of aborted landings.

What is everybody else's experience. Which are more common? Aborted takeoffs? Or aborted landings?
Old Aug 19, 2016, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by 5khours

What is everybody else's experience. Which are more common? Aborted takeoffs? Or aborted landings?
I remembered this from flight school:

Every take off is optional, every landing is mandatory!
Old Aug 19, 2016, 7:22 pm

Programs: DL,EK
For me, 3 aborted takeoffs (one at or beyond v1 in which we lost two engines on a 727 and went into the overrun at Reno in about 1985). The others were at low speed, both in Seoul. On one of these, the power had only just come up and we were going maybe 5mph.

I can remember only two aborted landings, one in San Jose (California) and one in Zurich.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 7:37 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
My total is about like the OP's. One t/o and 4 landings.

The aborted t/o was by far the more pulse raising, involving rapid throttle down and some really aggressive braking. The landings were just go-arounds.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I'm at 8 go-arounds, but never what I would consider a rejected takeoff. We spooled up and traveled about 100 feet once, then slowed and got back in line.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 3:50 am

in the last 5 years and a couple of hundred flights I only had one aborted takeoff, which was quite harsh and required an equipment change after taxing back to the gate (brakes needed to be checked out). According to they pilot the got a last minute warning about a huge bird flock (couple of dozen Canadian Geese) crossing the flight path close to the ground and decided it was to dangerous to go all the way through. Probably the sane choice given the size and mass of those birds, would probably had caused severe damage to the CR9.

During the same period I had dozens of go-arounds, my record was a 5 time go around on the approach to SZG, the pilot announced it as last attempt before returning to VIE. The whole flight through the mountains was already rather violent/turbulent )crew even skipped any service and just kept everyone seated) due to strong shifting winds but the landing was really rough with strong crosswinds.

I guess that ratio of rejected take off compared to go-arounds for landing is quite reasonable as tentseller said: You have to land eventually, while a lot of issues which could impact a clean takeoff might be sorted out already during taxiing.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
2 aborted landings. One in Tokyo, too much turbulence from a fairly violent rainstorm. Ended up circling another 45 minutes. Other in Kinshasa. Pilot came down at the far end of the runway. Had to pull up to miss trees.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 9:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG LT Gold, HHonors Silver
I had my first aborted landing last week at BOS. Circled around for about 15 minutes. Another plane was reportedly on part of the runway. Never had any aborted takeoffs yet.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 9:44 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
One aborted (jet) takeoff - sucked a bird at ANC once, and a couple of go-arounds, the last on a BA 744 landing at YVR. The driver really botched the (not-so-short) final - we were probably 300 feet over the runway numbers. Let me tell you, full throttle in a 744 with only a reserve fuel load is impressive.

I have, however, had three landings that should have been aborted - broken planes but no broken bones, fortunately - but none on big jets, only on light planes and a YS-11 in Alaska.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 10:39 am

Programs: UA 1p
Two aborted takeoffs just short of V1 - same plane, same day. About 18 years ago at MCI. Pilot aborted takeoff, announced "something bad indicated", returned to gate, deplaned all passengers. Waiting in line to rebook, they announced problem was fixed and to return to gate to board. Second attempted takeoff aborted with same problem. Flight canceled, rebooked much later that day.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by CPRich
... We spooled up and traveled about 100 feet once, then slowed and got back in line.
Originally Posted by DocP
Two aborted takeoffs just short of V1 - same plane, same day. ... Pilot ... announced "something bad indicated"... Second attempted takeoff aborted with same problem ...
had exactly the same thing happen 2x, maybe 10 min apart: departing ORD on UA's first 777, about a week after it entered service in June 1995 ... after the second one we went back to the gate; maintenance came out to the jet and reset a fault indicator on a box in the avionics bay, and we proceeded on to DEN

the most memorable go-around was an Allegheny Convair 580 at ITH in Mar 1974: the tower wasn't staffed on Sun morning, so ELM Approach (about 30 miles away) cleared us for a visual approach ... as we rolled out of a descending right turn onto final, the captain pushed the throttles forward, raised the nose and flaps, and basically completed a 360-degree turn at pattern altitude ... as we came back around I saw a Cessna 150 turning from the runway onto a taxiway; turned out the pilot was one of my ROTC classmates

I can't count (more accurately, can't begin to recall) how many RTO and go-around test conditions I experienced as either an analysis engineer or Test Director during my three years at Boeing Flight Test; again, though, there's one GA that stands out in my mind, from a 767-200 certification test flight at Moses Lake WA (MWH) in Jul 1982 -- the test condition starts at an altitude of 50 feet with throttle push, followed by a simulated engine failure at full power, which of course induces a not-insignificant roll; as TD, I was in the first observer's seat directly behind the pilot, and for a brief instant my view out the 3L window was almost entirely of the ground

Last edited by jrl767; Aug 20, 2016 at 9:14 pm Reason: add second quote
Old Aug 20, 2016, 12:45 pm

Programs: American Airlines British Airways
Originally Posted by jrl767
had exactly the same thing happen 2x, maybe 10 min apart: departing ORD on UA's first 777, about a week after it entered service in June 1995 ... after the second one we went back to the gate; maintenance came out to the jet and reset a fault indicator on a box in the avionics bay, and we proceeded on to DEN

the most memorable go-around was an Allegheny Convair 580 at ITH in Mar 1974: the tower wasn't staffed on Sun morning, so ELM Approach (about 30 miles away) cleared us for a visual approach ... as we rolled out of a descending right turn onto final, the captain pushed the throttles forward, raised the nose and flaps, and basically completed a 360-degree turn at pattern altitude ... as we came back around I saw a Cessna 150 turning from the runway onto a taxiway; turned out the pilot was one of my ROTC classmates

I can't count (more accurately, can't begin to recall) how many RTO and go-around test conditions I experienced as either an analysis engineer or Test Director during my three years at Boeing Flight Test; again, though, there's one GA that stands out in my mind, from a 767-200 certification test flight at Moses Lake WA (MWH) in Jul 1982 -- the test condition starts at an altitude of 50 feet with throttle push, followed by a simulated engine failure at full power, which of course induces a not-insignificant roll; as TD, I was in the first observer's seat directly behind the pilot, and for a brief instant my view out the 3L window was almost entirely of the ground
As a student pilot in a 152 at Shreveport the tower had me do a 360 on final, a slightly longer than average final - because I was going too slow. I think some airliner was landing on another runway. That got my attention.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
One aborted take-off and one go around about 50 feet above the runway (aircraft ahead not cleared the runway). The aborted take-off was at LCY and we were about a third of the way down the runway, I would guess. The pilot simply announced that we would have another go, which we did with rather more success. I still don't know why he aborted the first one.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 3:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by 5khours

Aborted landings are way way more common. I have them at least once a month, sometimes more.

Aborted take offs have been much fewer. In my many years of flying, I have had only 3.

One was never explained, and there was no noise or anything. We taxied back and took off again. Always wondered what happened.

The other were compressor stalls.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 4:51 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
I've had one aborted landing in EWR, and never had an aborted take off.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.