Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Produce in a checked bag

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2016, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Produce in a checked bag

Do you ever have fruits or vegetables in your checked bags?

A cautionary tale... A friend was flying last Wednesday, and was at her connecting airport when the Southwest meltdown occurred. She was unable to retrieve her 2 checked bags there and had to rent a car and drive back home without them. Both bags presumably went on to her destination, and one of them just yesterday has made it back to her home airport. The second one hasn't made it home yet, seven days later, and that's the one where she had packed some tomatoes from her garden as a gift for a friend she was planning to visit. I wonder what rotting produce might do inside a closed suitcase.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 3:27 pm

British Airways has temperature controlled cargo option. I am not sure if flyers can request that for checked luggage; unlikely.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 3:44 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Unless you're flying in the winter when you know it won't be above a certain temp outside, I wouldn't pack anything perishable in checked bags. Once it's on the plane and the plane is in the air things will be cold (all throughout the year). When the bag is on the ground, however, things can spoil very quickly
Old Jul 27, 2016, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by swag
Do you ever have fruits or vegetables in your checked bags?

A cautionary tale... A friend was flying last Wednesday, and was at her connecting airport when the Southwest meltdown occurred. She was unable to retrieve her 2 checked bags there and had to rent a car and drive back home without them. Both bags presumably went on to her destination, and one of them just yesterday has made it back to her home airport. The second one hasn't made it home yet, seven days later, and that's the one where she had packed some tomatoes from her garden as a gift for a friend she was planning to visit. I wonder what rotting produce might do inside a closed suitcase.
Not in an international flight. All kinds of way to get yourself in trouble. And for a domestic flight, why?
Old Jul 27, 2016, 8:06 pm

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion, AA
I had 55 big navel oranges packed in two 21" bags this past February. A friend in CA has a tree, and they were too good to pass up.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 2:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Georgia Peach
I had 55 big navel oranges packed in two 21" bags this past February. A friend in CA has a tree, and they were too good to pass up.
And, with your handle, I trust that you returned the favor on a trip to your California friend.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 2:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I do this occasionally with well-wrapped salamis and hams from Italy or Austria, or cheese from France. However, well-wrapped is the key since these things can spoil or get smelly very quickly. Generally, it's better to carry-on, but sometimes needs must.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 4:00 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Many years ago I bought a whole side of salmon in Canada to give to a friend in Europe. It was kept in the coldest part of the fridge until the flight, and very well wrapped. Unfortunately my suitcase didn't travel to FRA but was somehow loaded to Delhi, where it sat for a few days, then made it to Hamburg (my final destination) via Cairo and Athens (inexplicably) ten days later. I cannot tell you how awful the smell was. Lesson learned.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 4:07 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Many years ago I bought a whole side of salmon in Canada to give to a friend in Europe. It was kept in the coldest part of the fridge until the flight, and very well wrapped. Unfortunately my suitcase didn't travel to FRA but was somehow loaded to Delhi, where it sat for a few days, then made it to Hamburg (my final destination) via Cairo and Athens (inexplicably) ten days later. I cannot tell you how awful the smell was. Lesson learned.
The moral of the story:

Be careful which Delhi you get your salmon from.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 4:13 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Nice one!
Old Jul 28, 2016, 9:06 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

I'm enjoying the sense of humor posters seem to have this morning. Thanks for the chuckle, Doc.
It reminds of the fish stuck under the car seat in the movie, Grumpy Old Men. Ugh!

We live in a farming area of San Diego county, and have a commercial farm, so it's worth mentioning that transporting produce, especially back yard produce, is one the ways that pests get spread around. It's not so bad if you transport something like citrus to Alaska, because of the climate differences. But when the pests have no natural enemies in their new home, the results can be devastating.

It's a sad thing indeed when commercial growers are quarantined due to pest import, and, literally tons of perfectly good fruit falls on the ground unpicked, because it can't be transported out of the quarantine area. It's 100% loss for the farmer in those situations.

I was in Russia earlier this week, and sadly saw that many of their pine trees appear to have the pine tree beetle (pest). So many large, gorgeous stands of pine were peppered with full sized dead trees. This pest is killing off many trees in southern California forestland. Our Oleander and Eucalyptus trees also are being slowly killed off by imported pests. The vineyards are searching for an answer to combat some sort of invasive beetle, too.

Last edited by StartinSanDiego; Jul 28, 2016 at 11:34 am Reason: Better link included below
Old Jul 28, 2016, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I do transport food sometimes, but I always ensure a) it is within rules and b) declare that I have it. Once in a while they will ask to check an item, but not very often (I suspect it is the type of food, not the person, that triggers checks).
Old Jul 28, 2016, 11:28 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Here's some more interesting data, with maps, on the CA restrictions. I would imagine that each state Ag department has its own fact sheet.

https://www.cdfa.ca.gov/plant/factsh...gies_to_CA.pdf
Old Jul 28, 2016, 1:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Brought back a few bags of frozen meat empanadas from Colombia years ago (yes, full prepared to declare them) - things went south when the drug dogs meeting the flight decided on hunger before duty and were very excited about my empanadas, which took a little bit of nervous explaining to the Customs inspectors given my not-so-bright packaging of said empanadas into neat foil bricks.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 1:28 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
I've flown with fish and meat within Canada several times, the key of course is proper packaging that will keep the contents cool for several days if delayed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.