Wiki Posts
Search

How to handle a Mr Singalong?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2016, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta
How to handle a Mr Singalong?

I was on an evening 6-hour international flight last night and the guy next to me in C+ decided that half way through the flight was a good time to start clapping the rhythm, stamping his feet and singing - well more like moaning loudly - along to his favourite tracks.

I'm guessing he was a little drunk but apart from being really into the music he appeared fine. It was sort of funny, but also felt like mild turbulence when he started stamping his feet. People across the aisles were obviously getting the experience also as they kept looking across.

When he started drumming on the tray table I nudged him and said maybe the lady sitting in front might not appreciate having her seat banged so much. He agreed and said it was “the music, man” – I kid you not.

A short while later he started up again and a guy across the aisle on the far side had words with him. I had my headphones on so didn’t hear what was said but the guy looked pretty annoyed. Mr singalong stopped, but then had another glass of wine with the pre-landing snack and started up again. Someone called the crew but by now we’re about 40 minutes from landing and apart from staring at him for a minute nothing was done.

So, how do you handle a guy who seems totally oblivious that his behaviour is not really acceptable in a confined public space but after acknowledging that when it is pointed out to him just carries on doing it anyway?
Old Jul 24, 2016, 9:27 am

Programs: DL DM MM; Hilton Diamond; Hertz 5*
The short answer is - the same way you handle any other drunk passenger. If you are the confrontational type you confront him - if you are not comfortable with conflict you do nothing.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Get the FAs involved much earlier. And repeatedly if necessary.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 9:46 am

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
+1 At the very least they can cut him off from any more alcohol, if that was causing/exacerbating the problem.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 9:50 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by gerardfarrell
He agreed and said it was “the music, man”
He WAS wearing some kind of ear/head phones, I hope . . . . as opposed to it being the music "in his head"?

Old Jul 24, 2016, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta
He WAS wearing some kind of ear/head phones, I hope . . . . as opposed to it being the music "in his head"?
Yes, a big set of cans. He wasn't quite that far gone.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 6:50 pm

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
If enough passengers object this is a solution

Old Jul 24, 2016, 6:51 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Just talk to the FA. They can resolve most problems related to poor passenger behavior.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 7:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Seby12
Just talk to the FA. They can resolve most problems related to poor passenger behavior.
......only if they're wiling to do so.

Earlier this month I had a FA who wasn't even willing to help boot a seat poacher from my seat, so I had to play the bad guy and tell the person that I wanted to sit in the seat that I had reserved when I purchased my ticket. The poacher had apparently been upgraded at the gate and she somehow decided that she liked my seat better and just settled in without asking. Given the seat numbers, it could not have been just a mistake unless she was illiterate.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 8:57 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

As this is not Delta-specific, please continue to follow this thread in the TravelBuzz Forum.
Thanks..
Obscure2k
Delta Moderator
Old Jul 24, 2016, 9:16 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
......only if they're wiling to do so.

Earlier this month I had a FA who wasn't even willing to help boot a seat poacher from my seat, so I had to play the bad guy and tell the person that I wanted to sit in the seat that I had reserved when I purchased my ticket. The poacher had apparently been upgraded at the gate and she somehow decided that she liked my seat better and just settled in without asking. Given the seat numbers, it could not have been just a mistake unless she was illiterate.
Once before I have encountered an FA that refused to assist with seat poaching. I offered to ask the gate agent to correct the manifest to reflect the fact that I was no longer sitting at 13K... The situation was immediately rectified.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 7:37 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Originally Posted by puddinhead
If enough passengers object this is a solution.
Or sometimes you have to take matters into your own hands.

Old Jul 25, 2016, 8:59 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Ask him for his headphones and start doing the same thing to his music. When he asks for his headphones back, don't give 'em back and respond with “the music, man”

Old Jul 25, 2016, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
^^^
Old Jul 25, 2016, 10:27 am

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by eigenvector
Once before I have encountered an FA that refused to assist with seat poaching. I offered to ask the gate agent to correct the manifest to reflect the fact that I was no longer sitting at 13K... The situation was immediately rectified.
^ I'll remember this one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.