Which countries have immigration pre-clearance in another country

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which countries have immigration pre-clearance in another country

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2016, 4:58 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
The Buenos Aires (Argentina) - Montevideo (Uruguay) ferries have customs and immigration clearance for Montevideo on the Buenos Aires side.

Makes for a smooth and pleasant transfer ^ .
Old Jul 21, 2016, 5:02 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
You should also count BSL if flying from a non-Schengen country and heading to Basel, since the airport is in France but you will clear Swiss formalities in the airport. AFAIK, you can only enter France from GVA if on a domestic flight so I don't think there are any French formalities there, but I could be wrong.
BSL takes some getting your head round.

The airport is in French territory, but I believe the access road on the Swiss side is designated as Swiss territory (and the terminal split down the middle). So you choose which side to exit - France or Switzerland. If the latter, you are funnelled down the access road to Basel, whether driving or by bus.

Where it really gets complicated is that the airport is both BSL (Basel) and MLH (Mulhouse). So domestic French flights can land at MLH and be treated as domestic (despite the fact you can choose to exit into either country).

Where it gets weird is that there are flights from Paris to both MLH and BSL. OK, in these Schengen days it's not such a big distinction (it used to be, of course), but it's a particularly odd setup.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 9:29 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by stut
..Where it really gets complicated is that the airport is both BSL (Basel) and MLH (Mulhouse). So domestic French flights can land at MLH and be treated as domestic (despite the fact you can choose to exit into either country)...
And this predates the existence of Schengen which is quite sweet.

It's like a simpler version of the CERN I guess for which the French also donated most of the space ....
Old Jul 23, 2016, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by rpjs
Yes US pre-clearance is still in place at BDA, or was a couple of months ago. There's also pre-clearance at NAS.
We've been through in NAS. Took about five seconds.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 10:37 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

On Eurostar to London, while you go through immigration in Paris or Brussels (and presumably in Lille as well, but I've never gotten on there), you go through customs in London. There's not supposed to be customs until maybe Brexit, but there is only one exit from the train and there are customs agents there that probably can stop anyone they want to.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 1:00 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by stut
BSL takes some getting your head round.

The airport is in French territory, but I believe the access road on the Swiss side is designated as Swiss territory (and the terminal split down the middle). So you choose which side to exit - France or Switzerland. If the latter, you are funnelled down the access road to Basel, whether driving or by bus.

Where it really gets complicated is that the airport is both BSL (Basel) and MLH (Mulhouse). So domestic French flights can land at MLH and be treated as domestic (despite the fact you can choose to exit into either country).

Where it gets weird is that there are flights from Paris to both MLH and BSL. OK, in these Schengen days it's not such a big distinction (it used to be, of course), but it's a particularly odd setup.
This might not be that weird: Swiss based airlines probably can't operate MLH-Paris, but they can operate BSL-Paris. EU airlines on the other hand would find it simpler to operate MLH-Paris. (This is all speculative though...)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.