Wiki Posts
Search

Any tip to look less like a tourist?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2016, 10:43 am
jy3
Original Poster

Any tip to look less like a tourist?

I figured out that it is better to look less like a tourist in some countries to avoid any problems concerning with people who might get to you to take advantage of you in any ways..
I usually travel alone and I'm pretty young so..Any tips on this?

What I personally try to do is to know directions and know where I'm going, and not just stand there in the middle of streets looking at the maps and searching my phone. (Not saying that this is wrong though. I'm just doing this to avoid any problems.)

Though I grew up in the States, I'm Asian so I obviously stand out in Western countries, but is there anything I can do to at least avoid certain problems?
Old Jul 12, 2016, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by jy3
I usually travel alone and I'm pretty young so..Any tips on this?

Though I grew up in the States, I'm Asian so I obviously stand out in Western countries, but is there anything I can do to at least avoid certain problems?
No cameras - and be less obvious when using your phone as a camera and definitely no selfies.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 11:40 am

The most torn up beat up piece of luggage you can find. None of the Rimowa or LV or anything nice
Old Jul 12, 2016, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
I have found traveling with a (shepherd-size) dog to be very beneficial in that regard. People just don't think you're a tourist.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Leave your Apple devices behind.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 3:41 pm

Programs: *G
Old Jul 13, 2016, 2:24 am

Programs: EK plat, ex-FB gold, Accor plat
You can't make people think you are a local if you are not.

Basically, what do you want ? Being safe, and not being cheated ?
Then, you need people to think that you are not rich (by their standard).

As already said above by other FT, don't show your camera, smartphone, iWatch, ... and your wallet.
Dress with non-brand clothes similar to locals (if most wear grey trousers, don't walk around in a flashy orange bermuda)

Get information about your destination.
Taxi are sometimes known to take the longer route. Download an offline map, and know exactly where you heading.
Want a artifact at the bazar ? Check for average prices beforehand.

Nevertheless, don't forget to have a good time and to make new friends !
Old Jul 13, 2016, 3:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Assuming you speak the language, it's pretty easy fitting in if you dress correctly and follow all the sensible advice above.

It depends upon the city, of course. London, for example, has a huge proportion of its population foreign-born and/or non-native speaking. It's really easy to fit in there - just dress appropriately and look purposeful, and eat at sensible times of day. It's a big place so checking Google Maps is not a marker - I've lived there all my life and I still find myself checking Google Maps, or the map in each tube station.

But you will struggle in less cosmopolitan smaller cities where locals know where everything is, and the slightest variation in dress or demeanour will spell tourist.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 3:46 am

Programs: US Gold
The big tip-off for me (I've lived in a couple of cities that get a lot of tourists) is the brand-new clothes and (especially) shoes a lot of tourists wear - they've bought stuff just for the (special) trip. Or they're slightly more formally dressed than the natives (because someone's told them you should look nice out of respect or something). The other big one is fumbling with cash because it's unfamiliar.

Anything else...everyone in London has a cellphone, a map they need to consult sometimes, and takes pictures. Although London is exceptional in terms of the map thing - only black cab drivers know the entire city (as lhrsfo says).

Tip, for London. I don't know what lhrsfo means by "sensible times of the day" (eat in the most crowded, noisiest times?), but if you want to enjoy eating in mostly-empty restaurants, have lunch at noon or 2:15 (1-2 is when Londoners flood everywhere). As for dinner, locals tend to eat later; the pre-theater crowd eats at 6-6:30. 5-5:30pm everywhere is empty. I do this because I hate loud crowds and want to hear what the people I'm eating with are saying; you're not a tourist, you're self-employed.

wg
Old Jul 13, 2016, 4:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Selfie sticks immediately identify you not only as a tourist but as someone who would also were a fanny-pack.

For London: The wearing of a t-shirt or sweatshirt emblazoned with 'Oxford University' assures others that with 100% certainty you did not attend the university in an academic capacity.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 6:09 am

Programs: AA
I find that wearing a Speedo when I would normally wear cargo shorts works like a charm.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 6:19 am

Programs: SPG, Rapid Rewards, HHonors.
Stay at home
Old Jul 13, 2016, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bhomburg
I have found traveling with a (shepherd-size) dog to be very beneficial in that regard. People just don't think you're a tourist.
Unless you are in a mainly Muslim country where dogs are viewed as unclean.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LondonElite
For London: The wearing of a t-shirt or sweatshirt emblazoned with 'Oxford University' assures others that with 100% certainty you did not attend the university in an academic capacity.
Having said that, I, many years ago ( 16-20 years ago), used to wear my Imperial College London sweatshirt, and I did attend that university. Anyway, I agree, in the main, you are correct.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by jy3
I figured out that it is better to look less like a tourist in some countries to avoid any problems concerning with people who might get to you to take advantage of you in any ways. [...]

I'm just doing this to avoid any problems. [...]

The best way to avoid any problems is not to travel. And, believe me, no matter what your ethnicity is, you will stand out in the majority of Asian countries as well. So, which countries and what kind of problems do you have in mind?

Trying to look like a local might be difficult to pull off and, depending on the destination, not really advantageous. In many situations non-locals are able to get preferential treatment, which you would be willingly giving up this way.

You can minimize the likelihood of being a target by not flaunting your wealth around and being aware of your surroundings at all times but the world is full of people trying to take advantage of you. No matter what you look like you can't prevent them from trying but you can prevent them from succeeding (and getting away with it), and this is what you should focus on. If you're worried about all kinds of tourist scams, most people who fall prey to these are being (1) stupid and (2) greedy at the same time. Try not to be both concurrently and you're already halfway there. It might help you to read about some common scams and other tourist-related crime. This is a good resource: http://bobarno.com/thiefhunters/barcelona-scams/

Wherever you're going, you'll be fine and are unlikely to run into any problems, except when taking taxis but the best ways of dealing with those depend on where you're headed, so if you want better advice let us know your destination.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.