Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

The strange psychology of other pax: All other seats are empty, why sit next to me?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The strange psychology of other pax: All other seats are empty, why sit next to me?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2016, 6:54 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Originally Posted by smc333
I park next to you because I'm trying to avoid dings as well We're both conscientious about our cars so we won't ding each other, and we each get one side of our car protected from close-parkers, wild door swingers, and errant shopping carts.
When that happens to me, the second car that arrives is invariably a beater, full of dents and rust.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by smc333
I park next to you because I'm trying to avoid dings as well We're both conscientious about our cars so we won't ding each other, and we each get one side of our car protected from close-parkers, wild door swingers, and errant shopping carts.
This. I'll park next to someone else who appears to have a well cared for car although I'll leave a space or two if its wide open

Originally Posted by Peoriaman1
When that happens to me, the second car that arrives is invariably a beater, full of dents and rust.
It does seem to vary by area. Where I live now the beater car parking near me rarely happens but in my old area it was pretty common
Old Jul 21, 2016, 10:35 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
Twice,i selected exit row aisle, only to have a subsequent passenger book the middle seat (leaving the window seat unoccpupied).
Originally Posted by pinniped
In coach, that's just bizarre. Unless it actually was the airline doing you a solid and blocking the seat... (Miss those days... )
Maybe a gamble the window remains empty and the other pax gets two seats?

I've seen people gamble by taking the middle seat of a 3-person middle section row on a 777. I assume they are hoping no one takes either aisle seat as a result and they get to keep all three seats.

I've never figured that strategy is worth it - if the seats start filling in (e.g., unassigned before) you're cooked, and if they don't you can probably get the row anyway.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Clearly the automated software is the culprit in the OP's case. What I find more interesting is the psychology of seat selection on a fairly empty flight as the deadline for check in approaches.

I had a flight on a 777 in February which was looking very empty. There were far more blocks of 3 seats than there were passengers showing as having seat assignments at T-24. I switched to an empty row and went to bed. The following morning, I woke to find the same situation but someone else in my row, so I switched to a different empty row. En route to the airport, the same again and even after the check in cut off - I finally had to switch at the gate just before boarding. Why do people do it?
If a flight looks somewhat full I may choose an aisle where the window is taken (or other aisle in middle section of 3). IMO it decreases the odds the middle seat gets filled by a couple taking the other two seats in an other wise empty bank of three seats.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by :D!
When I'm on a crowded bus or train and we get to a main station or stop where most people get off, there's often a person who remains sitting next to me.

If I happen to be on the outside I move to an empty pair of seats straight away, but if I'm on the inside it seems that other people would rather keep me cramped in than move.
Meanwhile, that other person is thinking to himself - "why doesn't this other guy get up and move?"
Old Jul 21, 2016, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by drewguy
I've seen people gamble by taking the middle seat of a 3-person middle section row on a 777. I assume they are hoping no one takes either aisle seat as a result and they get to keep all three seats.
My wife and I do this all the time. She likes window and I like aisle so we will select both seats in a 3 seat configuration.

If the middle seat does get taken, I usually offer my aisle and the passenger takes it every time.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 10:42 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by Statman
My wife and I do this all the time. She likes window and I like aisle so we will select both seats in a 3 seat configuration.

If the middle seat does get taken, I usually offer my aisle and the passenger takes it every time.
My wife and I often sit aisle-window, too, but if someone chooses to sit between us... we let them! As we figure it we spend plenty of time together; we don't need to be touching during a flight.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
My wife and I often sit aisle-window, too, but if someone chooses to sit between us... we let them! As we figure it we spend plenty of time together; we don't need to be touching during a flight.
I would love to be able to do that, but then I'd be sleeping on the coach in the hotel room at arrival.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 7:28 pm

Programs: MM / UA 1K
I'm at the airport having just checked in. It's an international flight (SIN - SFO) with literally 10 pax on it. I had chosen seat 1B as 1A was empty.
When I was checking in, the agent asked me if I'd like to change my seat as 1A was occupied. I told her that I was surprised since the flight was nearly empty. She told me that he had requested that seat at check in even though she'd told him there was already somebody in 1B...
She advised me that "he's very big so you'll probably want to change seats". Awesome...
Old Jul 24, 2016, 8:16 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Isn't this like at the gym: "with the row of vacant treadmills, why did you take the one next to me?"

Maybe the seat is particularly comfortable (not just due to pitch), there is a need to be in front/in back, someone else will be sitting across from the person, etc.

Annoying, but some people just don't care as much about personal space as others.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 8:41 pm
Suspended

Had this happen on a 3/4 empty AA MD80 flight. First class and Main Cabin Extra were filled, but only 3-4 rows of the regular economy cabin were filled. I sat down, a woman sat down right next to me, and the FA came over and said we can all have our own row. The woman didn't budge so I did a few rows up, lol.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 1:19 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by konoyaro
I'm at the airport having just checked in. It's an international flight (SIN - SFO) with literally 10 pax on it. I had chosen seat 1B as 1A was empty.
When I was checking in, the agent asked me if I'd like to change my seat as 1A was occupied. I told her that I was surprised since the flight was nearly empty. She told me that he had requested that seat at check in even though she'd told him there was already somebody in 1B...
She advised me that "he's very big so you'll probably want to change seats". Awesome...
Is that the direct SIN-SFO on a 787? If so, their decision makes sense: bulkhead business rows have larger footwells, that's important if you're tall or have large feet. (That said, there are 12 total bulkhead business seats on that plane.)
Old Jul 25, 2016, 1:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by AA100k
Back in the old days before self seat selections, I ran into this constantly as "the computer" would sardine people together so that there would be room for couples, groups, and families traveling together who booked later. Often I'd get on a flight and the last half of the plane would be full and the front half empty so everyone just shifted after the door closed. Maybe "the computer" selected the seat. Let us know how it turns out.
Some airlines at least used to assign those on cheap fares, typically purchased early, to the worst seats at the back of the aircraft.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 1:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by milepig
This is my guess. Aisle seat in F = FAM.
FAMs tend to be assigned to flights close to departure.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 5:44 pm

Programs: MM / UA 1K
Originally Posted by televisor
Is that the direct SIN-SFO on a 787? If so, their decision makes sense: bulkhead business rows have larger footwells, that's important if you're tall or have large feet. (That said, there are 12 total bulkhead business seats on that plane.)
Yes, 787-9 SIN direct to SFO. Apparently they added an extra flight SFO - SIN to pick up some passengers from a cancelled flight and therefor the return was nearly empty. There was literally nobody in Y.

Anyway, talked to the gate agents who asked me if I'd mind to move to row 7 (no thanks). And then the pax in 1A asked me if would like to take another seat (no thanks). Ultimately it seems he took 7A.

And I totally get the footwell thing since I'm 6'3" and wear a size 12 shoe

Last edited by mongobot; Jul 25, 2016 at 5:50 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.