Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

The strange psychology of other pax: All other seats are empty, why sit next to me?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The strange psychology of other pax: All other seats are empty, why sit next to me?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2016, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

Ok so I'll admit this post may be interpreted as utterly pointless to some (hence the struggle to even come up with a decent thread title), but something has struck me as a bit odd in multiple ways and I wanted to get the opinion of others here and see if anyone has encountered similar "weird behavior" of other future passengers...

So I have an upcoming AA flight in a few weeks time (nothing exciting, just a domestic run between MIA and BOS). The first thing I found interesting was when purchasing the ticket a couple weeks ago, none of the 16 F seats were showing as occupied, so I happily had my choice of absolutely any seat. Granted I realize that occupied on the seat map does not equate to the actual booked tickets, although I do find this route to usually be fairly popular up front (and most seat selections made per the seat map well in advance) - for example, my BOS - MIA return a week later is only showing one seat up front available for selection.

Anyway this week I popped online for meal pre-ordering and took a look at the seat map again... low and behold, aside from myself, there's now one other seat that's been selected... the aisle seat right next to me.

Which started to get me wondering... first of all at about 3 weeks out, how common is it that no-one has selected their seats on a rather popular route? But secondly and more confusing, who in their right mind would actually then pick the only seat (out of 15 available) that's next to an occupied one??

Now granted, I like to think of myself as a pleasant seat-mate and perhaps even a touch on the charming side when need be but seriously, the whole thing has me thinking one of two things happened here... either I have an unknown stalker who decided to fly with me and just has to sit inches from me for 3 hours OR maybe AA didn't appreciate my recent comments about lack luster service and catering in a trip report and has decided to auto-assign the only other F passenger right next to me as punishment?

So as I said, rather random and strange post but the situation has me saying "seriously?!" Of course there may be a completely different reasoning for this odd coincidence and would love to hear anyone's thoughts, conspiracy theories or otherwise!
Old Jul 7, 2016, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
It could also be something automated. Perhaps the computer assigns the seat and keeps people together. Then, you have less complaints when couples book tickets because available seats are in clusters.

Also, when I book with an agent (award routings, etc.) they will usually say something like "I've selected 5A for you." I'm usually saying, "that's fine" because I'll just log in immediately and change it to the seat I want.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 6:03 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
It does feel weird to select a seat next to the only other occupied seat in the cabin (maybe men in particular are conditioned by the "urinal rule" ), but if F is likely to fill up anyway, then does it matter if the person who selected the seat next to you is the 2nd or 16th? So it's psychological that way too
Old Jul 7, 2016, 6:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Zorak
It does feel weird to select a seat next to the only other occupied seat in the cabin (maybe men in particular are conditioned by the "urinal rule" ), but if F is likely to fill up anyway, then does it matter if the person who selected the seat next to you is the 2nd or 16th? So it's psychological that way too
Plenty of people have a favorite seat. Maybe someone out there was vaguely annoyed that the seat next to "theirs" was the only one occupied in an otherwise empty cabin.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 6:39 pm

I have done this myself. There is a 99% chance F will go out full anyway.
This way the row is done and I don't have to worry about a last minute upgrade who comes on and then wants to sit with their spouse, friend , co-worker etc. Worse yet a person that has to use the toilet 4 times in a 2 hour flight. Lots of other reasons along the same line.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

Well just for the sake curiosity and a wee bit of an experiment, I've just logged in and changed my seat assignment to one of the empty rows (now putting a touch of distance between myself and the only other F mystery pax)... figure I'll check back in a few days time to see if ex-seat mate is suffering from separation anxiety and likewise moves seats.

Truth be told if they do change seats as well again right next to me, I promise that I will definitely be making use of the bar at the Admirals Club that day, even if it'll be around sunrise! Who knew trying to figure out the motivations of a complete stranger could offer so much entertainment?!
Old Jul 7, 2016, 6:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Silver
When I book flights for work thru concur, it automatically assigns me the first available aisle seat, as I have aisle as my default preference. The same was probably true for your seatmate. Granted, I usually go in as soon as it is ticketed and decide if there's a better seat for me.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 8:15 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Busted

I admit it. I am your unknown stalker. It's not your charm that motivated me.

I sell burial insurance and do my best work on a plane with a captive audience. While contemplating your mortality at 35,000 feet you might be thinking of making sure your loved ones aren't stuck with a giant funeral bill in the event of your untimely demise.

If not, might you be interested in an Amway distributorship? New religion? Time shares? Solar roof panels?

Last edited by QueenOfCoach; Jul 7, 2016 at 8:26 pm
Old Jul 8, 2016, 8:35 am

Programs: AA EXP, National, Hilton
Could be a FAM.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 9:46 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
As this thread really has nothing to do with American Airlines in itself, I'm going to shift it to TravelBuzz for input from the wider community, including denizens of other fora and flyers of other airlines.

I will also update the thread title to make it a bit more clear.

~Microwave
AAdvantage forum co-moderator
Old Jul 8, 2016, 10:31 am

It's the same reason I can park very far from a store to avoid a door ding and some guy will park right next to me.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 11:03 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
I had a real-world experience that was a bit similar to your virtual one. I started filling my car at a gas station where every pump was unoccupied. A woman drove up, stopped her car lined up for my aisle, and waited till I finished. I felt quite uncomfortable as I wondered why she didn't just pull up to one of the eight or ten other available pumps.

The only explanation I could come up with was that somehow she'd discovered that my pump was miscalibrated and pumped more gas than it registered.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 11:04 am

Automated seat assignments seem to work from front to back. On the seat map you'll see whole rows including middle seats filled in the front of the cabin and empty rows in the back. People get assigned middle seats farther forward when better seats are empty farther back.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 11:41 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by rjw242
Plenty of people have a favorite seat. Maybe someone out there was vaguely annoyed that the seat next to "theirs" was the only one occupied in an otherwise empty cabin.
Perhaps you booked your seat next to someone else's favorite F seat. I certainly have favorite seats in F. I select them whenever they're open. It does not matter to me if the adjacent seat is already reserved. For one, F seats are roomy enough that the idea of "Sit next to an empty seat for extra room" is irrelevant. Two, on US airlines at least, F virtually always flies full because of upgrade policies, so there's no point in trying for an unoccupied neighbor.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
Back in the old days before self seat selections, I ran into this constantly as "the computer" would sardine people together so that there would be room for couples, groups, and families traveling together who booked later. Often I'd get on a flight and the last half of the plane would be full and the front half empty so everyone just shifted after the door closed. Maybe "the computer" selected the seat. Let us know how it turns out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.