Wiki Posts
Search

Weirdest checked luggage spotted on belt

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2016, 11:59 am

Only if they twigged what was going on
Old Jun 10, 2016, 12:22 pm

Programs: WN, DL, AA; Hyatt or Wyndham
Don't think I've seen anything that can beat a stick. Weird.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 4:33 am

Programs: SQ Gold, AF Platinum, AA Platinum (sadly, expiring soon), QR Silver, EK, MU, HU, PR, HO, OZ, KE
How about...

465 kg of steering wheels

Or

1000 kg of seat belts

Or

240 kg (must have been a bit more after repacking) of small plastic parts?
Old Jun 15, 2016, 1:30 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Clubcarlson Silver
On a flight back from NRT to the US,could not fit a couple of those clear umbrellas that are popular in Japan in my carry on. Decided to check those and the agent did not bat an eye at the request. Looks like they are quite used to such requests as they had a special plastic wrap with them to put the umbrellas in and secure them for the flight.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 11:01 am

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
A tire - not mounted, just a car tire. But it was Akron, OH so I guess that might be normal there.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 6:46 pm

Programs: CX (elite) and a few others (non-elite)
The freezer wasn't full-size!

The sword was inherited, and I had to get it from my late mother's house in England to Hong Kong. My tickets were on Malaysian, who (somewhat to my surprise, but perhaps thinking about it it shouldn't have been) have a section in their conditions of carriage dealing with transporting ceremonial swords. I checked the relevant Ordinances in Hong Kong and determined that the Police were the appropriate authority to contact, and they confirmed possession of a ceremonial sword wasn't an offence under HK law (provided you don't go around the streets with it or try to use it as a weapon), so I went ahead, packed it in a length of drainpipe to protect it and just brought it in. No problem at all.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by IanFromHKG

The sword was inherited, and I had to get it from my late mother's house in England to Hong Kong. My tickets were on Malaysian, who (somewhat to my surprise, but perhaps thinking about it it shouldn't have been) have a section in their conditions of carriage dealing with transporting ceremonial swords. I checked the relevant Ordinances in Hong Kong and determined that the Police were the appropriate authority to contact, and they confirmed possession of a ceremonial sword wasn't an offence under HK law (provided you don't go around the streets with it or try to use it as a weapon), so I went ahead, packed it in a length of drainpipe to protect it and just brought it in. No problem at all.
that is an excellent story!
Old Jun 28, 2016, 4:35 pm

Flying JNB-LON years ago, I saw at least half a dozen sculpted giraffes on a conveyor belt. They were padded with stuffing and cardboard but it was very easy to tell what they were. Kinda funny.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 12:04 am

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Originally Posted by Rabidstoat
Flying JNB-LON years ago, I saw at least half a dozen sculpted giraffes on a conveyor belt. They were padded with stuffing and cardboard but it was very easy to tell what they were. Kinda funny.
Full size?
Old Jun 30, 2016, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by IanFromHKG

Here's the page of prohibited items from UA. Some of the references (like hoverboards) are quite current:

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...dangerous.aspx

And a bit more fun, here's the page for "high-value, fragile and perishable" items - I chuckle when I get to "antlers":

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...e/fragile.aspx
Old Jul 3, 2016, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium, TAP Gold
One man's trash is another man's treasure
Old Jul 4, 2016, 7:52 am

Programs: MR Platinum, and a certain status at an unnamed airline
I saw a kitchen sink and a single truck tire going around the carousel at HAV once.
Old Jul 10, 2016, 10:35 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Westjet Rewards
Certainly not that weird but still amusing - I saw an ugly avocado green vinyl suitcase 1970's style on the carousel at PHX with pink paint pen writing in all-caps saying something like "THIS IS NOT YOUR SUITCASE SO HANDS OFF!".
Old Jul 10, 2016, 6:37 pm

Location: Loud, dark, warm, lots of ethernet cables, and in some rack space.
Programs: AA:EXP
I think next time I should check-in an aircraft part. So when it comes out of the conveyor everyone will wonder whether it should be there or not.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 12:00 am

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Back during the South Africa World Cup, LH had a promotion going on as they were the official airline of the German Football team. Sitting on the luggage belt was a wrapped package which was just the shape of the World Cup. It was mounted to the belt so that you couldn't walk away with it, but it was mildly humorous.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.