Reload this Page >

Early Packers?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Early Packers?

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2016, 8:33 pm

I much prefer packing the day of departure, especially if it's a late flight and long trip, since then I can do laundry that day and then pack. I don't like leaving dirty clothes lying around.

But the days before a trip I'll put trip-specific essential items (passport, high-percentage DEET, etc.) next to my backpack so I'm sure I won't forget them.

Seth
Old May 28, 2016, 8:51 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Lost
Sorry, just noticed a common theme in several comments
Behind many flyertalkers there is a strong and organized woman LOL
Old May 29, 2016, 4:45 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
I don't travel often so I can afford to start packing about 10 days before big international trips. Anything I can pack will get packed, anything I cannot pack immediately (such as toiletries) will get written down on a list. This also gives me time to assess and reassess what I need to bring - anything I need but don't have I still have time to buy. This way I never have to travel with a checked bag.
Old May 29, 2016, 9:38 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

I pack the night before... I have dedicated travel items... all lightweight, easy to wash, and used mostly on trips. My toiletry bag is always packed and used only for travel. Then I balance that out with items tailored for the location, like jackets, swimsuit, etc.

Many of my travel items don't get used much at home. Some of them are for traveling only. The only down side to this is that some of main, favored clothing items are in a disproportionate number of photos. I have a huge, versatile, lightweight scarf that is in about half of my travel photos from all over the world. In the Middle East it's over my head and shoulders, in Switzerland it's around my neck for warmth, in Hawaii it's a sarong. It's the same with my travel backpack... it's in every darn photo.
Old May 29, 2016, 10:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Following is my SOP:
-inside pouch of suitcase contains toiletries, stomach/headache medicine, random foreign currency, contact lens, power adapter for HK, granola bars, public transportation cards, swimsuit -- I rarely mess with this arrangement, apart from replenishing toiletries
-on the day of travel, fill the main compartment with socks, underwear, polo shirts, dress shirts (one or two is enough), and one extra pair of pants; this process takes less than two minutes
Old May 29, 2016, 10:45 am

Programs: TK Elite ...and blue, lots of blue...
Originally Posted by shuigao
My wife does all the packing in my family - even for me when I go on solo biz trips. She's one of the most uber over-organized, borderline OCD people I know - she has an excel spreadsheet where she plugs in who in the family is traveling, and for how long, and then that gives her a checklist printout of exactly how many socks, shirts, etc to pack. It's amusingly insane to me (I'm the que sera sera, pack the morning of the flight and if I miss out anything I'll just buy it later on).
So when asked "who packed your luggage" at the airport, do you lie or tell the truth?
Old May 29, 2016, 11:18 am

Programs: UA 1MM
I've used a pre-packed bag for almost 10 years, which prevents me from overpacking or leaving anything important behind. The only thing I pack separately (typically the night before) is clothing.
Old May 29, 2016, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
For myself, I can pack the day before or the day of, and I am packed within an hour for aa short trip, two hours for a month long trip. This assumes all the laundry and dry cleaning are done, of course.

I have a good sense, going in, of what clothes I want to take with me. I keep clothes easy to mix and match, and think in terms of outfits. I pack light and efficient (lots of knits and light cashmeres three out of four seasons, light fabrics and lightest knits in summer). I already have my toiletries pre-packed in my 311 bag, and I take out empties and add in new supplies as the need arises. I keep my make-up in a more or less travel-ready condition on a day-to-day basis, since I keep it to a minimum, and it is organized in bags in my drawers already. I can pull my shoes out of their shoe boxes and into the suitcase quickly (they are kept in their original shoe bags in their shoe boxes, in the closet, so they go in the shoe bags, right into the suitcase, for the most part).

And I bear in mind that it's travel, not a State Dinner. I don't have to look perfect, just presentable.
Old May 29, 2016, 11:58 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
I have a carry on bag basically prepacked with toiletries, essentials, night clothes, hair brush,make up kit, plastic wine glass (a necessity) etc. Then depending upon where I'm travelling and the expected weather, all I have to do is add a top or sweater and if needed bathing suit. I only do carry on and most of my trips are for 1 or 2 nights only, so the slacks & shoes I wear on board will service me for my trip with just a change of tops.
When I get home, I will restock my carry on baggies and I'm good to go on my next trip.
And as Ysolde posted, mix and match along with a nice lightweight scarf will suffice. (The scarf as a multipurpose head cover, shawl, belt, bit of a brightener for any outfit, neck drape etc)

Last edited by mauld; May 29, 2016 at 2:42 pm
Old May 30, 2016, 5:39 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I rarely totally unpack. The clothes come out of the suitcase and get washed, then go right back in. I have a little hotel-style suitcase stand in the bedroom. The only exception is for travel to areas that require cold weather clothing.
Old May 31, 2016, 1:29 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Business travel and "formal events" [weddings, black-tie etc.] aside, one can travel "light". For me, up to 7 days, I'll bring a daily change of underwear, a a few changes of outer garments--easily put into a soft (expandable) carry-on; OVER 7 days, I'll take less and do laundry as needed.
I've checked into hotels and see bell people bringing a skid of luggage to a room--looks like enough for a few months stay...but most likely a weekend.
Old May 31, 2016, 5:39 am

Programs: FB Platinum
I always pack in the hour or two prior to leaving for the airport. Thus, I can make sure I'm not forgetting anything and also can check the latest weather forecast to ensure the outfits are appropriate. I do have a separate, air travel compliant bag for toiletries, which is usually customised on the travel day according to the destination and purpose of the trip. I rarely wear make up, but if I'm going for it I have a dedicated travel palette.

Regardless of the length of the trip it's always carry on. If it's a longer stay I will pack an empty bag to my suitcase in case I do shopping and need to check luggage on the way back. The only place to where I consistently check luggage is when going to my home country - gifts et al. make carry on almost impossible.

In any case, it takes me less than an hour to get everything sorted before I bolt out of the door to the airport.
Old May 31, 2016, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I'm going away in 2 weeks. Just tried on clothes. Didn't like much so went online to buy new things. Anyone else do that?
Old May 31, 2016, 6:05 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage,
Originally Posted by chgoeditor
I think the mistake in the OP's logic is that he assumes last-minute packing = overpacking. That's not necessarily the case. In fact, if I start packing several days in advance, I'm more likely to overpack because I don't necessarily remember every little thing that's already gone into the suitcase.
I overpack in general, but I overpack more when I pack last minute because I don't have time to think it through so I just throw everything in.

I have made a somewhat serious attempt not to overpack recently, but it always ends up with me not having something I really want/need. That adapter I threw in despite telling myself I don't need it and this is an example of me overpacking? Ends up saving the day when the rental car doesn't have a USB port.

On topic, I'm an early packer. Just started using packing cubes. Wonderful!! Have a dedicated toiletry bag for road trips, but when I fly I tend to buy toiletries at the destination to save weight.
Old May 31, 2016, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by Tchiowa
Usually 1 bag for each of us for real things and the third is a guitar. The other 3 bags: US to Thailand, all kinds of things that my wife bought for her family. Thailand to US, empty bags.
Of course if you have Thai family in the US as we do, those Thailand to US bags won't be empty. Gotta bring back the dried foods, seasonings, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.