Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Name a warm place within 5hr flight you recommend everyone vacation at?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Name a warm place within 5hr flight you recommend everyone vacation at?

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2016, 1:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
But I don't want to go on vacation with the OP.

I don't think the OP wants to vacation with you either, or to leave from SFO.
Old May 25, 2016, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
OP is at ORD.
My interpretation was where would "you" go, from where "you" are. Mostly because OP says
Where would you go
OP also follow it with "I am looking at ... for me"

When someone says "What would you wear to this type of a party? I'm thinking of wearing a suit myself", I don't think the ask is what you think I should wear - a suit or not.

OP - were you asking for opinions on where you should go from your home at ORD, where we would go if we were in ORD, or where we would go from our location?
Old May 25, 2016, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

I meant from ORD but forgot to include it in the OP.

Originally Posted by CPRich
My interpretation was where would "you" go, from where "you" are. Mostly because OP says

OP also follow it with "I am looking at ... for me"

When someone says "What would you wear to this type of a party? I'm thinking of wearing a suit myself", I don't think the ask is what you think I should wear - a suit or not.

OP - were you asking for opinions on where you should go from your home at ORD, where we would go if we were in ORD, or where we would go from our location?
Old May 25, 2016, 3:28 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG
Anyone leaving on the East Coast should consider Varadero in Cuba. They have some of the most beautiful white sandy beaches in the world. Canadians have been vacationing there for years...it's only about a 3-4 hour flight from Montreal. Now that our friends in the USA can go to Cuba more freely, I definitely recommend checking out Varadero as a vacation destination...or anywhere in Cuba really
Old May 25, 2016, 4:06 pm

Bermuda, Mexico, California, Gulf Coast (depending on the time of year.)
Old May 25, 2016, 5:35 pm

I assume the OP means 'warm' in winter because Chicago is already pretty effing warm in the summer. In the summer Northern Michigan (Traverse City area) or even the UP are actually excellent destinations and just a quick hop or reasonable drive from Chicago.

In winter, you can't really go wrong with the Florida Keys if you want warm and still be in the U.S., otherwise it's all the Caribbean islands.
Old May 25, 2016, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by Ber2dca
In winter, you can't really go wrong with the Florida Keys if you want warm and still be in the U.S., otherwise it's all the Caribbean islands.
^ Even Miami is not bad or San Diego at a push.

Sorry just seen this
Originally Posted by obscure2k
San Diego generally has beautiful weather, lots of things to see and do and is within 5 hours of ORD.
^

Last edited by GRALISTAIR; May 25, 2016 at 5:55 pm
Old May 25, 2016, 6:07 pm

Problem with So Cal in winter is that 'warm' can mean 60 and a grey sky too. That's better than sub-zero wind chills in the Upper Midwest but it's probably not what a 'snowbird' wants from a warm weather vacation in winter. South Florida is really the only reliably warm option in the U.S. in winter.
Old May 25, 2016, 11:12 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Well, off the Florida Keys, there's this place called Kokomo...

For me, spoilt for choice. Lisbon, Taormina, San Sebastian...
Old May 26, 2016, 1:15 am

Programs: KF Gold|VA Gold|HH Diamond|Kimpton IC|Hyatt Gold
From current location in DRW would probably say Bali (2h flight)
Old May 26, 2016, 2:01 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by oh_lol
From current location in DRW would probably say Bali (2h flight)
Don't you already have enough warmness combined with salt water crocs there?
Old May 26, 2016, 2:04 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
ORD PVR is about 4:05.

Great town to relax in.
Old May 26, 2016, 8:13 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Tulum via Cancun.
Old May 26, 2016, 9:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I take it ORD was a later edit to the OP!

What season? Is the five hours a hard limit? (e.g., weekend getaway spot)

I'll just assume you mean winter, since a Chicagoan doesn't need to go anywhere to be warm in July. You don't seem inspired by the Carib idea...

We had a very nice long-weekend type trip to PVR a couple years ago. I'll second that one. I have some friends who are huge fans of Cabo, but I've never been myself. We went to CUN in December one year and really enjoyed the Mayan sites (including Tulum, and especially Coba), but it was *not* a warm vacation. No ocean swimming at all and even swimming in the heated hotel pool was a bit chilly.

If you don't need beach, Palm Springs/La Quinta is great in the winter, with some good national parks nearby. The whole SoCal area presents a lot of opportunity, but it isn't necessarily ocean-swimming-warm. Still, coming from the Midwest, we'll perfectly happy with it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.