Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Carry USD or Euros?

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2016, 12:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by daKav
The credit union doesn't charge any fee but the foreign bank charges 1% of the transaction amount. Not too bad in the grand scheme of things, isn't it?
Not so bad if you're fine with giving up that 1%, I suppose.
Old May 23, 2016, 1:30 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
ok, so it kindda worked itself out.

I have a alumni account with USC credit union (yeah, trojan here). They have $0 fee for out of service atm usage within the US. I called them hoping the debit card would out side of US too and yeah, it does. The credit union doesn't charge any fee but the foreign bank charges 1% of the transaction amount. Not too bad in the grand scheme of things, isn't it?
It's not the foreign bank but Visa that charges 1% on ATM withdrawals. But you'll get the interbank rate which is still a MUCH better rate than at most exchange places including banks.

If your ATM card is totally fee free, then just get relatively small amounts of cash at each stop (well, you can get all the Euros you need at the first Euro stop on your trip), guesstimating how much you'll spend in each city.

But I second the posters who suggested a fee free credit card for your trip, since you'll earn miles on all purchases and in general it's safer in terms of loss or fraud. Most of the Chase travel rewards cards are foreign exchange fee free (so Sapphire, BA, United, Hyatt, Marriott, etc.) and so is the Citi HHonors Card (and at least some of the AA cards) and the SPG Amex (and maybe the Delta Amex, too). So lots of choices. I travel frequently in EE and can tell you that, at least in the cities listed, credit cards should be fine for restaurants, hotels, museums, public transport passes and taxis, groceries and more. Have fun.
Old May 23, 2016, 1:36 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
duplicate post
Old May 23, 2016, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA
Originally Posted by moondog
Not so bad if you're fine with giving up that 1%, I suppose.
Yes, since I leave in 2 days, I do not have much option and 1% is much better than what BoFA and Chase would charge.

Originally Posted by eefor jfp
But I second the posters who suggested a fee free credit card for your trip, since you'll earn miles on all purchases and in general it's safer in terms of loss or fraud. Most of the Chase travel rewards cards are foreign exchange fee free (so Sapphire, BA, United, Hyatt, Marriott, etc.) and so is the Citi HHonors Card (and at least some of the AA cards) and the SPG Amex (and maybe the Delta Amex, too). So lots of choices. I travel frequently in EE and can tell you that, at least in the cities listed, credit cards should be fine for restaurants, hotels, museums, public transport passes and taxis, groceries and more. Have fun.
Yes, I'll be using my sapphire card wherever possible. From my prior with using CSP (In Asia, western Europe and Mexico), chase had better exchange rate than most currency exchange counters in airport and elsewhere.
Old May 23, 2016, 3:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP
IME relying on a credit card in Eastern Europe pretty much guarantees you'll only be able to eat in the most expensive (tourist-trap) restaurants.

Cash in local currency from ATM is the way to go.
Old May 23, 2016, 5:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Yes, since I leave in 2 days, I do not have much option and 1% is much better than what BoFA and Chase would charge
Ah. Got you.
Old May 24, 2016, 12:36 am
Suspended

I am leaving to Eastern?/Central Europe in 3 days. I am visiting Moscow (Long layover), Prague, Vienna, Bratislava, Budapest, Ljublana and Croatia.

Other than Austria, all the other countries have their own currencies. Would it wise to convert and carry Euros and exchange it to local currency? Or just carry USD and convert it?

I'd prefer using as little ATM as possible since I'd incur transaction charges doing that.
it is better to have euro since you are still in europe
Old May 24, 2016, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am leaving to Eastern?/Central Europe in 3 days. I am visiting Moscow (Long layover), Prague, Vienna, Bratislava, Budapest, Ljublana and Croatia.

Other than Austria, all the other countries have their own currencies. Would it wise to convert and carry Euros and exchange it to local currency? Or just carry USD and convert it?

I'd prefer using as little ATM as possible since I'd incur transaction charges doing that.
In my experience, euros spend just fine in Croatia, Budapest and Bratislava. Not Prague, though, and I can't speak for your other destinations.
Old May 28, 2016, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA
I am in Prague and FWIW the credit union debit card that I hardly ever use charges no international transaction. And the exchange rate is atleast a czk more than what most exchange places are trading at.
Old May 28, 2016, 1:21 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
I am in Prague and FWIW the credit union debit card that I hardly ever use charges no international transaction. And the exchange rate is atleast a czk more than what most exchange places are trading at.
Not all exchange places offer great rates.

There are a couple by main train station and a few a block or two from main square - the difference between what they sell and buy is very small.

Most exchange place have at least a percentage point or two difference between buy and sell though.
Old May 29, 2016, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by eefor jfp
It's not the foreign bank but Visa that charges 1% on ATM withdrawals. But you'll get the interbank rate which is still a MUCH better rate than at most exchange places including banks.

If your ATM card is totally fee free, then just get relatively small amounts of cash at each stop (well, you can get all the Euros you need at the first Euro stop on your trip), guesstimating how much you'll spend in each city.

All the Visas you mentioned above take the same 1% cut even if they are "no-fee" (Chase passes it on from Visa, they don't eat it). It's one reason I've switched my international spend from my CSP to my Citi MCs (Premier and Prestige) which almost always have better rates than the no-fee Visas.

I'll have to review my Charles Schwab statements to see whether they eat the 1% Visa fee or not but I've been quite happy with them for the small FX currency withdrawals I make from time to time when places don't accept cards.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Duke787
All the Visas you mentioned above take the same 1% cut even if they are "no-fee" (Chase passes it on from Visa, they don't eat it). It's one reason I've switched my international spend from my CSP to my Citi MCs (Premier and Prestige) which almost always have better rates than the no-fee Visas.

I'll have to review my Charles Schwab statements to see whether they eat the 1% Visa fee or not but I've been quite happy with them for the small FX currency withdrawals I make from time to time when places don't accept cards.
Not directly on topic, but Schwab Bank actually reimbursed my wife and me for the FTF charged me by AmEx when I had to use it at a French toll booth (my Schwab debit Visa was rejected). Great service!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.