Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Most unique "line" on your lifetime route map?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Most unique "line" on your lifetime route map?

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2016, 9:21 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

The most unique route doesn't even appear on my flightmemory...but it's DPS-DPS.

Reason? "We didn't fill up the tank."
Old May 5, 2016, 11:05 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
[*]Internationally the most unique segment I can suggest from my travels is HYD-BBI (Hyderabad to Bhubaneswar, India). Realistically this is not that unusual, I realize.
One of mine is the train from Kolkata to Puri (via Bhubaneswar), 19 hours, which was a poor experience despite being in the highest class (sleeper car, in which I was fortunate to have the second bunk unoccupied). Had to try it once, and it was worthwhile because the food in Odisha was fantastic.
Old May 5, 2016, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by mecabq
One of mine is the train from Kolkata to Puri (via Bhubaneswar), 19 hours,
that sounds like hell.

i don't like Indian food, which made my trip there all the more difficult. but it was a work trip that i couldn't get permission to say "no" to.
Old May 6, 2016, 8:31 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Unusual winds aloft brought be here once:

Name:  817JS%20027a.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  120.2 KB
Old May 6, 2016, 12:07 pm

Programs: DL DM MM; Hilton Diamond; Hertz 5*
I flew a one minute flight in Scotland from Westray Airport to Papa Westray airport. I think the distance is less than 2 miles. I'm told that flight sometimes takes only 45 seconds when the wind is right. Shortest commercial flight I've ever seen.
Old May 6, 2016, 1:10 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
The most unique route doesn't even appear on my flightmemory...but it's DPS-DPS.
Same for me ADL-ADL for Antarctica flightseeing.
Old May 6, 2016, 1:36 pm
formerly dave h.

Location: Seattle - it's not Hell, but you can SEA it from here!
Programs: SkyMiles, IHG nobody, HH nobody
Originally Posted by FirstInFlight
I flew a one minute flight in Scotland from Westray Airport to Papa Westray airport. I think the distance is less than 2 miles. I'm told that flight sometimes takes only 45 seconds when the wind is right. Shortest commercial flight I've ever seen.
wasn't there an article on the FlyerTalk main page about that being the shortest commercial flight there is?
Old May 6, 2016, 2:32 pm

Mine would have to be LPQ-PEK (Luang Prabang, Laos). We landed in Beijing in a chartered Bombardier 850, then taxied to the VIP stands. Everyone got off the plane and there was nobody there to greet us. Widebodies were taxiing by less than 100 yards away and we were free to roam the tarmac. Eventually a bus showed up flying the communist flag in the front window and brought us to passport control... Surreal experience.
Old May 7, 2016, 5:31 am

Programs: Yeah, well, don’t really care anymore
CPH-RNN, some time in the 1980s. A route flown several times a day, only this day the F-27 normally doing the service went tits up. A substitute was found at Conair, in the form of a B-720. First and only time a B-720, or anything that large, ever served the route.

I rode along in the cockpit.
Old May 7, 2016, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
No question when IROPS causes diversions that unusual ones occur. I was on the AS milk run SEA-KTN-WRG-PSG-JNU but the wind was so strong we did not land at KTN but went on to WRG so that was an unusual routing. Then went WRG-KTN which is not unusual because that is the reverse milk run. Then KTN-PSG missing out WRG because we had already been there. So two unusual routings on the same flight.

On AA it was DFW-SMF but diverted so went DFW-RNO-SMF - I think RNO-SMF would be unusual.

On CO it was MCI-EWR but diverted for WX so MCI-PHL-EWR so I think PHL-EWR is relatively rare.

If you include seaplanes - then WFB (Ketchikan Harbor Seaplane base) to a lake in the middle of nowhere then back to WFB.
Old May 7, 2016, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Mhh-tcb
gyd-asb
pbh-ixb
vli-nou
Old May 7, 2016, 7:10 pm

Programs: UA Gold
I worked for Rutgers hoops while I was in college and we flew charter a lot when we were in the old Big East, so I have a lot of fun flights out of TTN...

TTN-AGC-TTN (Trenton to Allegheny County)
TTN-LOU-TTN (Trenton to Bowman Field in Louisville, KY)
CKB-PVD (North Central West Virginia Airport to Providence)

KAI-OGL (Kaiteur Falls National Park to Ogle as a domestic flight in Guyana)
Old May 8, 2016, 2:21 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
On my domestic one, PHF-PBI. I drove three hours to Newport News and flew the inaugural PeopleExpress flight to West Palm Beach back in 2014.
Old May 8, 2016, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by CMK10
On my domestic one, PHF-PBI. I drove three hours to Newport News and flew the inaugural PeopleExpress flight to West Palm Beach back in 2014.
was the inaugural also the final flight?
Old May 8, 2016, 5:50 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
You cannot have something which is "most unique" since unique means one of a kind. Something is either unique or it is not.

You can have most unusual, but not most unique.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.