Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Any one knows any on board courier companies?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2016, 6:20 am
jy3
Original Poster

I wasn't sure where to ask this, but I recently found out that the service of on board courier, where these logistics companies deliver samples or important packages all over the countries for clients, by carry-on or hand-carry, still exist.

Is there any big companies that you guys know about or want to recommend for me?

Thank you!
Old Apr 17, 2016, 6:22 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
What are you trying to ship?
Old Apr 17, 2016, 6:32 am
jy3
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DeepUnderground
It's different from time to time, but it's usually urgent export goods or samples of electronic devices or automobile parts.
Old Apr 17, 2016, 4:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by DeepUnderground
Maybe the OP wants to work as a courier?
Old Apr 17, 2016, 4:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Wouldn't it be more reliable to use FedEx or UPS or DHL?
Old Apr 17, 2016, 9:44 pm
jy3
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Wouldn't it be more reliable to use FedEx or UPS or DHL?
I guess there are some occasions where these products need to be in other country very very quickly from one country to another, and it seems like courier service is the fastest and safest way to do this.

I'm based in Asia and it seems like I can send these packages to Mexico/US in 1 or 2 days and same day delivery for Asian countries, so I guess it could be helpful for a person like me.
Old Apr 17, 2016, 10:11 pm
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by jy3
I guess there are some occasions where these products need to be in other country very very quickly from one country to another, and it seems like courier service is the fastest and safest way to do this.

I'm based in Asia and it seems like I can send these packages to Mexico/US in 1 or 2 days and same day delivery for Asian countries, so I guess it could be helpful for a person like me.
Have you spoken to those courier companies to see if they can offer what you want?

Who do you currently use to ship your products?
Old Apr 18, 2016, 2:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I do know that FedEx offer a "next available plane" service, at very considerable cost, which does essentially the same thing. A courier drives the package to LHR, where it's put on the next available flight (the time I was involved in using it, to Hong Kong). It's then met as the plane lands and driven straight to the recipient. It makes Hong Kong next day rather than two days, essentially, but the price is more than a round trip in economy. And that's the point - it's probably cheaper, and certainly more reliable, to send an office junior.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 11:00 am

Programs: AA
I'm curious to know if work as a courier is still available. I got the impression that the market dropped out of this business after Sept 2001. Lately I find myself a lot more able to do courier work than I used to be --- if such work still exists.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 8:10 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
The included baggage allowance on intercontinental flights is essentially ultra-discounted same-day air freight. Do you know any other way to get 50 lbs of cargo from North America to Asia in 12 to 15 hours for $1000? You don't even have to pay for a customs broker!
Old Apr 19, 2016, 4:41 am

We use ACS's OBC product for urgent shipments (usually AOG aircraft parts) and I am pleased with the service.

http://www.aircharterservice.com/car...-board-courier
Old Apr 19, 2016, 4:44 am

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
it's probably cheaper, and certainly more reliable, to send an office junior.
That works when you are sending something FROM your office, but not always feasible when you need a vendor to send a critical part TO you.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
It's probably cheaper, and certainly more reliable, to send an office junior.
That's what we do, one of the mail room workers is sent if it is that urgent.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 11:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
My impression is that some law firms would send a junior associate for something sufficiently important.

Before the internet, major research universities would send a staff member from their graduate school or research office to Washington, for example to get this list of NSF Fellowship winners or to deliver certain high priority grant proposals on the deadline day.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 8:39 pm
jy3
Original Poster

[QUOTE=lhrsfo;26500130]I do know that FedEx offer a "next available plane" service, at very considerable cost, which does essentially the same thing.

Thanks for the advice! However, these courier companies work 24/7 and I can basically get in touch with them any time I want, plus, there are times where it gets decided to send some cargos at like 3am in the morning..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.