Search

When planes ran like buses?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2016, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://info.flightmapper.net/flight/...irlines_UA_154
stops arent as short, but 154/166 passengers
Old Mar 28, 2017, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA MM (like it matters!) All of my flying was personal travel, and COVID-19 stopped that.
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
When you a few times every week, it becomes as routine as taking the bus to work.
A few years back, I was doing almost that very thing, not quite commuting between HSV and AUS.

Unfortunately, I have medical equipment that MUST travel with me, and computer and camera gear that CAN'T be checked. Too much well-documented pilferage goes on.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by Ber2dca
Regarding pax, the irony is that in my experience the slowest deplaning pax are seniors taking their sweet time. I imagine back in those days they weren't that many retirees flying either.
Advantage to the DC-3. It was down hill to the door.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 5:18 pm

In the days of the regional carriers, everything was smaller. The flight times were short because the distances between stops were too. Since you don't have a whole plane full of passengers and luggage to replace, the few people deplaning did so and were quickly replaced. Quite often the right side engine would stay running so ground power wasn't needed to restart. The piston Convairs were replaced by the turbo prop version and continued this kind of service well into the 1970's and early 80s.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by psychokilla
So I've been idly reading through this and I've got a question. The timetables therein suggest 15 min turnarounds at airports, and each journey is made up of several different connections (so London-Amsterdam-Hanover-Berlin).

It occurred to me to check if this was a peculiarity of European travel in the very early days of commercial flights, but American Airlines had the same sort of deal. This shows arrival at Buffalo at 1824, leaving at 1836. Assuming, people were getting on and off at Buffalo, how on earth is 12 minutes enough time? The image I have in my head is of people queuing on the tarmac like a bus stop, the plane lands, a few get off, and the rest get on, and the plane takes off again, but that can't be feasible.

This might belong more in the Old Timers thread and I'm hopeful some of them will spot this thread (although I might need Very Very Very Old Timers ). I'm just wondering if anyone has any insight, something obvious I've not considered.
Earlier this year I flew PAC-OTD and back. On both trips, the plane spent approx 5-6 minutes with the door open. No fuel, no security, nobody with tons of luggage. Easy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.