Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Sitting at the [very] back of the aircraft.Is it just me?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2016, 7:05 am
hco

Programs: SAS *G

This is my standard mode of operation. Unusual to score a full row for myself but to just have one or two seats free next to me and no one behind is good enough.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
If you're flying on a set of routes and aircraft that don't follow the typical guidelines, then taking different seats than "recommended" makes sense.

I haven't deplaned out the back in decades, I can't remember the last time there weren't both lavs and crew congregation areas in the back, last row seats on all planes I typically fly are red on seatguru, usually due to no recline, etc. And I can wait 4-7 minutes to deplane from 1/3 of the way back - the rear can take 15 on a regular basis.

Originally Posted by FlyingDentist
Seats at the back might be safer...

... to quote Billy Connolly, "when did you ever hear of a plane reversing into a mountain?"
.000000013 vs. .000000011 chance of surviving a crash (odds of a crash * odds of survival) aren't enough to change the above, at least for me.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 8:41 am

I couldn't believe it when I traveled with my two sons and they insisted on sitting as far back as possible - preferably the last row! I usually take the first aisle seat available. We usually deplane within minutes of each other and they insist they are the best seats.

They never have overhead luggage, so that isn't the pull, but they have had empty seats next to them so I am guessing that is why they prefer it.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 9:28 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....

And getting of last might be a minor inconvenience domestic but if all these people are in front of you going through immigration that can add serious time
Old Feb 8, 2016, 9:41 am

Programs: BA Bronze,Accor.Flightdiary.net/liamvad
I like the last row on BA if in ET,on my last 2 trips we have been bussed to terminal,and stairs put at back of aircraft,i am off first!!^
Old Feb 8, 2016, 10:48 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Even if you're in the back, you can still make up time rushing towards the immigration queue...except that it's unlikely that you're the only flight needing to pass through immigration. It doesn't matter where you sit, but it might matter if the airport offers some fast-track service.

As for being closer to the lavs, that also means you're closer to inane chatter engendered by those waiting to use said lavs.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 1:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
It's a rare subset of flights where I don't mind sitting in back. I usually want to be as far forward (when in Y, anyway) as possible.

Cases where I don't mind it:

- First and foremost, I've checked a bag. That *usually* removes time spent deplaning as a bottleneck.

- Either a domestic flight or an airport with a large immigration hall...one where being at the back of a plane isn't likely to make the immigration queue the bottleneck (e.g., I'll still get to the baggage carousel before my bag).

- A flight that appears to be somewhat less than 100% full. Then I look for an aisle seat where I can effectively isolate a single empty seat next to me. Towards the back, I have a reasonable chance that it won't get filled.

- Wing-mounted engines only. If it's a Mad Dog, I don't want to be in the back - period.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Rami Tamimi
Hi all,

I used to be very obsessed with getting seats at the first row available (of the cabin I am at),or the emergency exit row. At the end of 2014 I adopted a new strategy:I am now selecting seats in the last row,or the row before the last.
#1 downside to me is that you feel turbulence more at the back. At least it seems that way to me.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 2:49 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Short haul I like to sit about 3 rows from the back - more empty middles, easier to stow luggage. Queues for the loos not a problem and the extra time on the plane isn't too bad. But longhaul I still want to be as far forward as I can
Old Feb 9, 2016, 1:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'm with the OP on this one.

1. I enjoy looking out of the window
2. Odds of having an open middle seat are high
3. I used to gun for exits/bulkheads; but, I now prefer movable armrests to legroom (personal choice)
4. Being last off the plane isn't a big deal because I always check a bag, and we're only talking about 3 minutes tacked on to 3 hours
5. I am capable of eating both chicken and pork; obviously, neither wows me, but I can make do with the pork (my last 4 flights haven't offered a choice at all)
6. Proximity to the lav isn't a deal breaker for me
Old Feb 9, 2016, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by liamvad
I like the last row on BA if in ET,on my last 2 trips we have been bussed to terminal,and stairs put at back of aircraft,i am off first!!^
First one into the bus usually means the last one out though...
Old Feb 9, 2016, 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by nk15
First one into the bus usually means the last one out though...
First one on the bus gets bin space. Last one gate checks.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 3:48 am

Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ
First one on the bus gets bin space. Last one gate checks.
He is talking about getting out of the plane, not in.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by mmff
He is talking about getting out of the plane, not in.
Yes, although this also applies to boarding. Even when you get into the bus first, you need to be aware and sit by the bus door, and the correct door that will open (some buses have doors on both sides, and only one will open to let you into the plane or into the terminal, and if you pick the wrong side you will be the last out of the bus).
Old Feb 10, 2016, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Only when flying WN into BUR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.