Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Sitting at the [very] back of the aircraft.Is it just me?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2016, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Rami Tamimi
Hi all...
I find your choice perfectly sensible. Back definitely increases likeliness of empty middle seat and of space for hand luggage, and indeed, it is no worse than elsewhere for recline or toilets proximity.

Most of my flights are connecting so I personally prefer to be at the front because those few minutes that you mention can be frustrating in a case or short connection/late arrival and also end up mattering a bit when you have to go through longish immigration.

That said, also worth noting that on long haul, disembarkation is most often from door 2 so on many aircrafts, back of the cabin in CW (and lower deck) usually means faster disembarkation than row 1.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 11:32 am

It can be a good strategy.

My partner did it just recently on a BA flight to Seattle. Travelling by himself and wanting a window seat, it worked effectively as the middle seat between him and the stranger in seat C stayed empty, on a busy flight. Makes a big difference on a flight of that length.

He would have been hard-pushed to have enjoyed a marginal benefit of being a bit closer to the front in order to save a short amount of time at immigration. If you're down the back, you're well down the queue regardless. Aside from other arriving aircraft in any event.

I've done it a while back on a 744, when we couldn't snag any exit seats I opted for one of the rows near the back with just two seats at the window. It makes for a much more comfortable flight if the aircraft is full, not to be jutted up against a stranger.

However, one thing that springs to mind is a chat I had with CC once, about working on a 777. Namely that the back of that aircraft experiences more turbulence than the front, so much so (she told me), that on one flight they couldn't work out when working at the back why the seatbelt signs weren't on as they were being thrown about a little bit. When speaking to the CSD/whoever at the front of the aircraft, all was calm.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 11:36 am

On short short-hauls, arriving during reasonably busy times (so an A320 planeful is a drop in the immigration-queue bucket), I quite like this I have to admit. A very specific set of circumstances, I agree!

Unmentioned perks include:
  • Close to an emergency exit
  • Nice view of the whole cabin during flight
  • Ability to stay on board watching your movie/whatever until the last minute (technically you can do this from any seat, but you get odd looks...)
  • Ability to find somewhere along the entire length of the plane to stow your bag in a location that's guaranteed to be 'ahead' of your seat
  • Nobody behind you kicking your seat

But mostly it's an irrational preference, as evidenced by the fact that I wouldn't select 'one from the very back' under any circumstances. Not as irrational as someone I met a while back who explained they actively selected middle seats, that really did fox me!
Old Feb 7, 2016, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
Originally Posted by CD747
[*]Nice view of the whole cabin during flight
I forgot to mention it but it is one of those aspects I love about being at the back.It is especially nice on A321.

Close to an emergency exit
True too.In case of an [unlikely] evacuation it can be useful to be close to the exit and not being trapped by other pax stupid actions (eg:getting out their bags and risking their and other people's lives in an emergency.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 11:45 am

I'm with you - a free seat next to you makes a WT/economy flight much more comfortable, and on airlines without seatblocking (i.e. BA) the best chances of this are the middle section at the back of the plane.

However, all BA planes have toilets at the back of the cabin, so you do have the extra crowds due to toilets. The 787 only has one toilet at the back, so pick a rear seat on the right side and it's not such a big issue.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 12:20 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze

On short haul I usually choose exit rows for the extra leg room, but if that's not an option I always choose the back row, aisle seat. I thought I was the only one, as most people seen to find that choice a bit strange. I've even had check-in staff try to be helpful, offering to move me forward, they look at me like I'm mad when I tell them I chose that seat.

The greater chance of an empty middle seat is worth it for me, and being on the aisle still allows me to stretch my legs out. Plus you are close to the galley if you want an extra drink.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 12:42 pm

Programs: BA GGL/GfL, A3 Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Gold

I'm also with the OP on this, and have been selecting the back row for some time now when in Y. Main reasons for me are 1) increased chance of a free middle seat, and 2) zero chance of having someone's knees in the back of my seat.

Don't mind the extra turbulence, makes it all the more exciting in my view...
Old Feb 7, 2016, 12:53 pm

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
I normally sit near the back on BA1 but always wonder why people walk down from the front rows to use the loo, when there are empty ones at the front. They don't seem to think they should open the galley curtain up there.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 1:08 pm

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Oh dear, what have I become ?
  • No more HBO - now I check a suitcase and take on a tiny piece of hand luggage
  • No more Priority Boarding - now I maximise my time in the lounge then stroll onto the aircraft with the stragglers
  • After reading the OP, I think I might even start sitting way down the back

Perhaps I should be worried that they will ask for my Gold card back
Old Feb 7, 2016, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2 MM
I have also been going for the back recently, for the increased chance of an empty middle seat in short haul Y, and when flying long haul to Asia in Y or Y+ I prefer to eat in the lounge and sleep early or sleep through breakfast to help adjust to the time change. Some airlines (I had a recent bad experience in AY comfort economy) will not let you recline during the meal service (does BA do that?).
Old Feb 7, 2016, 5:06 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
And I thought it was my own secret.

I read how CWS sat in a "throne" seat, with ample legroom. That's great if you need more north-south room than east-west (butt) room. Bulkhead seats have fixed armrests that take up valuable butt room inches.

I like the back rows because:

-Greater chance of getting an empty seat next to me.
-With empty seat next to me, I can use that seat's tray table and put books, etc., in the empty seat.
-"Type A" personalities tend to want to sit closer to the front. More easy-going "Type B" folks are in the back.
-Get to hear salacious gossip from FAs. (One LHR-LAX flight I heard the entire story about the drunk passenger who would be arrested upon arrival in LA.)

My favorite back of the plane story:

One year I was flying LAX-LHR in the back of the plane. The row was 5-across. I was in the aisle, and the other aisle seat was occupied by a father of a 3-year old girl. The girl was supposed to be seated beside her dad, but she was super excited about being on an airline and was pretty much all over the three seats in the middle.

Dad tried very hard to fix up a little bed for the girl, with pillows and blankets, but she would not stay put. Finally, I pulled a "magic" trick. I was reading the first Harry Potter novel.

"Sweetie? Do you know who this is?" (pointing to the book cover)
"Yes! Harry Potter!"
"If you lie down like your daddy wants you to, I will read to you from Harry Potter, OK?"
"Sure!"

She mussed around a bit, but finally got comfortable stretched out on her three seats. I just picked up where I was in the book and started reading aloud. She was absolutely entranced. I read for a good long time, and she didn't move a muscle. Finally, her little eyes got heavy, and she fell asleep, and slept for the remainder of the flight. It was magic!

Her dad was very thankful. He had been Mr Mom for three weeks while his wife went on ahead to London. He looked exhausted.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 10:46 pm

Programs: BA GGL, FPC Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
If I'm flying in Y, I wouldn't hesitate to take the back row.

I'm not going to be first off, regardless, so I may as well, sit back and let the crush precede me. I'll be using automated arrivals in UK, Canada or the USA, so most immigration queues are irrelevant, anyway.

The issue of congregation is usually only relevant in the last hour or so, when I'm probably going to have given up on rest. I have no dietary restrictions, so I can settle for whatever is on offer, and if there is going to be an empty middle seat, the odds are a damn site better that they will be at the back than the front (and that particular luxury is worth all the others combined).
Old Feb 7, 2016, 10:51 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
This topic was originally posted in the BA forum, however, as it covers a variety of airlines and not focused on BA, it has been moved to TravelBuzz which is suited to a more general discussion of seating positions of various airlines.

LTN Phobia
Moderator: BA forum
Old Feb 7, 2016, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
This could work well in a fairly empty long haul flight (think TATL in November or February), where there may be several empty middle rows in the back, where you can score the coveted "poor man's J seat", 3 or 4 empty middle row seats to sleep on. It takes some seat map monitoring though, followed by fierce seat guarding... (hint: you have to take a middle seat of a middle row in the back of the pane in order to guard the empty aisle seats...)
Old Feb 7, 2016, 11:55 pm

I try this repeatedly, but it's been a long time since I managed to get an empty seat next to me, so I've started to think there's no point. But maybe it will work on my upcoming flight on BA (never before tried BA).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.