housekeeping cluttering the bed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2016, 6:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA P, BA S, A3 *G, IHG Plat, Marriott Lt P, Hilton Gld, etc.

Why there is a policy in many hotel to put laundry bag and form on the bed every day? Not that seeing this bag will compel me to produce extra laundry for them to charge exorbitant prices for.
Neither I forgotten that the laundry bag is lying/hanging in the closet.

This result in yet another item of clutter one have to get rid of every day...
/rant

AX
Old Jan 20, 2016, 7:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I feel the same way about the breakfast room service door hanger form, especially in club level rooms where there's breakfast in the lounge.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 7:18 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
I can't remember ever have the laundry bag/form on the bed. The problem I've had with laundry bags/forms is that they don't replace them when I use one. On long stays it seems like I always have to go to the front desk to get another.

I agree about the breakfast card. The towels card. All of the darn cards! The only card I care about is the one with the TV channels list and that's the one I can never find! LOL
Old Jan 20, 2016, 7:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
StR hotels tend to put a nice wooden tray on the bed at night containing the laundry and dry cleaning forms and bags.

At the Observatory in Sydney, when they were Orient Express IIRC, they used a very cute "to do before going to bed" form, including suggestions such as order nightcap, call home, etc.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by AX9465
Why there is a policy in many hotel to put laundry bag and form on the bed every day? Not that seeing this bag will compel me to produce extra laundry for them to charge exorbitant prices for.

/rant

AX
They put things on your bed because that's the one place they know you will see them. You may or may not use the desk or sit in the chair or even take a shower. But you are going to use your bed. So if they want to make sure you see something, that's where they put it.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 10:19 am

Is the 4 seconds of your time needed to throw the bag in the garbage really this much of an inconvenience? I swear people just wake up every day determined to find something - anything - to get upset over.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by AX9465

/rant

AX
Talk about first world problems! This belongs in Omni's "I need to vent" thread.

Originally Posted by KoKoBuddy
Is the 4 seconds of your time needed to throw the bag in the garbage really this much of an inconvenience? I swear people just wake up every day determined to find something - anything - to get upset over.
Take it off the bed if you want, but if you care about our planet, don't toss it in the garbage. Put is somewhere where the housekeeper, if she is required to do this as part of her job (and she probably is), can put the same one back on your bed again. I know it's silly, but why on earth add another one of these to a landfill every day of your stay?
Old Jan 21, 2016, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I hadn't given this a second thought until last year when I stayed at Le Meridien, who insisted on unearthing all the pieces of paper in the room, and arranging them all over the bed, along with the remote, the robe, the slippers, etc. When I left the room, the robe and slippers were where I wanted them (in the bathroom), the TV remote was on the bedside table, the breakfast, etc. were inside the folder on the bed side table. Most frustrating of all, the do not disturb, that I left on the back of the front door was on the bed - given this was a suite, it was a completely unnecessary pain to go from the bedroom, through the living room, down the corridor to put it back on the door it has been on in the first place! The one item that would have been nice to have in the bedroom at turndown, the water bottle, was on the bar in the corridor by the front door. The first night seemed silly; by the end of the week it was starting to pee me off!
Old Jan 21, 2016, 8:29 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Originally Posted by Efrem
Take it off the bed if you want, but if you care about our planet, don't toss it in the garbage. Put is somewhere where the housekeeper, if she is required to do this as part of her job (and she probably is), can put the same one back on your bed again. I know it's silly, but why on earth add another one of these to a landfill every day of your stay?
I concur. The waste involved (and cost of printing) to toss these in the trash every day is ludicrous. "Green" should not just be lip service. The blame goes to hotel management, not the poor guest who has to wade through the sales pitch for laundry service.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I get it, I do.

But, hotels are in the hospitality business. You're being hospitable when you rearrange things to suit the needs and preferences of your guest, not the other way around.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 9:04 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
I swear people just wake up every day determined to find something - anything - to get upset over.
If it weren't for those people FT would be a mere shadow of its current self.

I sort of get the point however. I recall on an extended business stay coming back to my room and all of the various items that I'd piled in the corner (welcome letter, room service menu, tourism magazine, channel list, etc.) were again neatly lined up on my workspace.

Part of my evening routine for a month was gathering them up and dumping them back in the corner only to have them back in my workspace the next evening. It never occurred to me to complain about the few seconds it took to clear them away.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.