Wiki Posts
Search

A travel nightmare

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2016, 4:21 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Originally Posted by VivoPerLei
Mine is the usually of the variety, "Hey, I'm on an airplane. That's weird, I don't remember boarding, but I'm certainly flying somewhere. Where the heck am I going?"
I had that dream today, and when I woke up, I was on a plane with
no idea where I was going.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 7:05 pm

Programs: BA GfL
The air travel dream/nightmare was a very recurrent feature of my life when I was working. Almost every time I was set to leave on a trip (my travel was all LH international), I would have a dream in which one of several things would happen: (1) I somehow could not find my gate or spent too long in the lounge and ended up missing the plane by minutes, (2) I would be en route to Moscow in February and realize that I had only brought a single pair of non-warm shoes, a pair of jeans, and no coat, (3) I would be at my destination one or two oceans away, but for some reason need to fly back home for a night or two and then return to the business trip, or (4) I would be on a plane that, like Cloudship's, was flying nearly at ground level through trees and buildings.

Now that I no longer work, I don't have any dreams like this, although I still travel plenty.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Mine is a bit worse. I'm directing the orchestra though I don't remember much about how I got there. I'm not sure what the piece is...I don't have a score in front of me...hell, I haven't even memorized it, not a bit. Then I find the podium has simply disappeared and I'm naked in front of the orchestra!

But for flying nightmares, I always seem to be in an endlessly expanding airport, trying to make it to the gate, time desperately short. The gate keeps getting further and further away, even though I catch a glimpse of the aircraft from time to time.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 7:06 am

Programs: Independent
Originally Posted by Concerto
But for flying nightmares, I always seem to be in an endlessly expanding airport, trying to make it to the gate, time desperately short. The gate keeps getting further and further away, even though I catch a glimpse of the aircraft from time to time.
Not necessarily flying related (though sometimes like Concerto it is in an airport), but I often have dreams where I am trying to get someplace, usually walking back to a place I just came from, but for some reason the layout has changed and I can never get where I am going. Wonder what that means?
Old Jan 26, 2016, 8:06 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by travelmad478
I would be en route to Moscow in February and realize that I had only brought a single pair of non-warm shoes, a pair of jeans, and no coat
A friend of mine lived that nightmare, except for the realizing part. At age twenty, he unexpectedly received a scholarship to a college in North Dakota. He only had two weeks to make his travel arrangements. His flight from Zaire (as it was then, now D.R. Congo) had a layover in Switzerland, and a thick sweater caught his eye at an airport shop there, so he bought it.

Thus he arrived in North Dakota on a 20-below F day in February with only a thick sweater for winter wear. Nobody had told him about cold weather. Not knowing a word of English was a minor handicap by comparison.

He came through the experience with flying colors, eventually earning a PhD in chemistry and becoming a college professor.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by Concerto
Mine is a bit worse. I'm directing the orchestra though I don't remember much about how I got there. I'm not sure what the piece is...I don't have a score in front of me...hell, I haven't even memorized it, not a bit. Then I find the podium has simply disappeared and I'm naked in front of the orchestra!
That reminds me of my frequent dreams that I have a final exam tomorrow, but I haven't been to class once the entire semester! You would think there would be a statute of limitations on those things. It's only been about 30 years
Old Feb 4, 2016, 8:07 am

TWA was nice enough last night to taxi straight to my front door after landing to let me off, but dang if they didn't lose my luggage. Finally navigated the call system after much aggravation to reach a live person, and damn if I couldn't remember my flight details.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by 84fiero
Were you in your underwear the whole time and was the plane piloted by your 2nd grade teacher who scolded you for being late? That would have just made the nightmare complete!
Amusingly, one of my early teachers IS now an airline pilot! (Well, if you call EasyJet that...) I don't think I've ever been on a flight of his, though.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 5:49 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by pinniped
My recurring travel dream is taking a TATL flight that stays at an altitude of 100 feet the entire time.

My seat is always on top of the fuselage so I can see everything very well.

Ahhhhhh! My true flight dream....a. Long low level flight. Don't know if I like the open air seating.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by Exterous
Ha no - I told my wife and she said "Well at least you weren't standing in the security line naked"
They have machines that do that for you.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 4:23 pm

Programs: WN, DL, AA; Hyatt or Wyndham
Multiple times I've dreamed I'm on the ground watching an airplane (either a regular landing or something like an air show) and then it goes horribly wrong and the plane is crashing, and upon crashing it is careening directly toward me. That wakes me up.

Other times I have dreamed that I am in a plane that is crashing. Generally, in the dream I fall asleep due to sheer panic that I am in a crashing plane, and that transports me to another dream.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 1:02 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
My main travel related nightmare is that i'm on a train which has just reached my stop but I can't gather up all my luggage to get off. I really should realise i'm dreaming and wake up because I travel with as little luggage as possible.

That dream is, however, less discombobulating than the one where my bedroom (and sometimes my entire house) relocates to the inside of a hotel. Though I suppose that's better than the version where it relocates to my workplace.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 9:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by HMPS
Ahhhhhh! My true flight dream....a. Long low level flight. Don't know if I like the open air seating.
I've been on some low level flights. A bunch were very short TWA flights but one was on NW/DL where an emergency had been declared.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 6:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP (3M), UA1K, and so many others
Delete

Last edited by jtjackson; Mar 29, 2016 at 6:21 pm Reason: Delete
Old Feb 12, 2016, 6:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP (3M), UA1K, and so many others
delete

Last edited by jtjackson; Feb 16, 2016 at 11:31 am Reason: request

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.