Reload this Page >

The Definitive Discussion of Emotional Support Animals on Airlines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 21, 2015, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
THIS THREAD IS NOW ARCHIVED. PLEASE CONTINUE THE DISCUSSION HERE: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/2032204-support-animals-cabin-2021-onwards.html

Service and Support Animals (Updated)

Wednesday, December 2, 2020WASHINGTON – The U.S. Department of Transportation today announced that it is revising its Air Carrier Access Act (ACAA) regulation on the transportation of service animals by air to ensure a safe and accessible air transportation system. The final rule on Traveling by Air with Service Animals can be found HERE.

The Department received more than 15,000 comments on the notice of proposed rulemaking. The final rule announced today addresses concerns raised by individuals with disabilities, airlines, flight attendants, airports, other aviation transportation stakeholders, and other members of the public, regarding service animals on aircraft.

The final rule:
  • Defines a service animal as a dog that is individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of a person with a disability;
  • No longer considers an emotional support animal to be a service animal;
  • Requires airlines to treat psychiatric service animals the same as other service animals;
  • Allows airlines to require forms developed by DOT attesting to a service animal’s health, behavior and training, and if taking a long flight attesting that the service animal can either not relieve itself, or can relieve itself in a sanitary manner;
  • Allows airlines to require individuals traveling with a service animal to provide the DOT service animal form(s) up to 48 hours in advance of the date of travel if the passenger’s reservation was made prior to that time;
  • Prohibits airlines from requiring passengers with a disability who are traveling with a service animal to physically check-in at the airport instead of using the online check-in process;
  • Allows airlines to require a person with a disability seeking to travel with a service animal to provide the DOT service animal form(s) at the passenger’s departure gate on the date of travel;
  • Allows airlines to limit the number of service animals traveling with a single passenger with a disability to two service animals;
  • Allows airlines to require a service animal to fit within its handler’s foot space on the aircraft;
  • Allows airlines to require that service animals be harnessed, leashed, or tethered at all times in the airport and on the aircraft;
  • Continues to allow airlines to refuse transportation to service animals that exhibit aggressive behavior and that pose a direct threat to the health or safety of others; and
  • Continues to prohibit airlines from refusing to transport a service animal solely based on breed.
The final rule will be effective 30 days after date of publication in the Federal Register.
Previous rule:

The main requirements of Part 382 regarding service animals are:

• Carriers shall permit dogs and other service animals used by persons with disabilities to accompany the persons on a flight. See section 382.55(a)(1–2).—Carriers shall accept as evidence that an animal is a service animal identifiers such as identification cards, other written documentation, presence of harnesses, tags or the credible verbal assurances of a qualified individual with a disability using the animal.
—Carriers shall permit a service animal to accompany a qualified individual with a disability in any seat in which the person sits, unless the animal obstructs an aisle or other area that must remain unobstructed in order to facilitate an emergency evacuation or to comply with FAA regulations.

• If a service animal cannot be accommodated at the seat location of the qualified individual with a disability whom the animal is accompanying, the carrier shall offer the passenger the opportunity to move with the animal to a seat location in the same class of service, if present on the aircraft, where the animal can be accommodated, as an alternative to requiring that the animal travel in the cargo hold (see section 382.37(c)).

• Carriers shall not impose charges for providing facilities, equipment, or services that are required by this part to be provided to qualified individuals with a disability (see section 382.57).

To determine whether an animal is a service animal and should be allowed to accompany its user in the cabin, airline personnel should:

1. Establish whether the animal is a pet or a service animal, and whether the passenger is a qualified individual with a disability; and then
2. Determine if the service animal presents either
• a ‘‘direct threat to the health or safety of others,’’ or
• a significant threat of disruption to the airline service in the cabin (i.e. a ‘‘fundamental alteration’’ to passenger service). See 382.7(c).

full text can be found: here.

United policy on Emotional Support Animals: https://hub.united.com/united-emotio...530539164.html

Delta policy on Emotional Support Animals: https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...e-animals.html

American Airlines policy on Emotional Support Animals: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ce-animals.jsp

Print Wikipost

The Definitive Discussion of Emotional Support Animals on Airlines

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2017, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Nephroid

Just curious how big is too big a dog to safely have on your lap?
Depends on the size of your lap.

Snapped the below pic and it's hard to tell but the dog is very nervous.
So you got the whole thing wrong, it seems. The dog had an emotional support homo sapiens.

Can my wife be my emotional support homo sapiens and sit on my lap for free? We have a yellow vest and a sharpie.
Old May 11, 2017, 7:59 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
I say keep the pet fee for ESA's. Stop people getting them to avoid paying up. I actually have one, but he's 18lbs and properly certified (my ex), but with me he sits under the seat in front in a carrier. When travelling with the ex, he's under the seat, just not in a carrier. Not jumping all over the place (he actually loves to sleep on planes, loves to travel really).

That pic in the OP is cray-cray! I'd need emotional support if that thing was staring at me for 2 hours!
Old May 11, 2017, 8:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I just flew a 737 in 7A where in 7B there was a dog who's head went under the bulkhead gap and tail went well under the seat. The owner's leg straddled the dog. I think e+ seat pitch is 35in so the dog was at least that long. The dog slept the whole time and had a slight odor sometimes. They yell at you if your bag sticks out in the feet area but its ok for a giant dog to block your egress?

I agree, make them buy another seat if they wont fit. Fat people have to do it and I thought extreme obesity counted as a disability. Though I really hope they thoroughly clean the seat before a person has to sit in the seat after a dog. Maybe mandate a plastic sheet under the dog or something.

I always wondered what if a person has a dog allergy. Does the dog have to leave or the person with the allergy? or both?

I'm not disputing the fact that a dog can help a person emotionally, there needs to be some sort of standard. I'm sure my emotional well being will be better if I don't have to pay an expensive fee. I'd feel alot better sitting in F too

Last edited by eng3; May 11, 2017 at 8:20 pm
Old May 11, 2017, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Baze
I think emotional support animals should have the same oversight as real Service dogs.
Service dogs have no oversight.
Old May 11, 2017, 8:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I am convinced 90% of the ESA are people buying the stupid vest online to avoid the pet fee.
I think you understimate it. I'd place that number at 99%.

Originally Posted by mmack
I don't see why the airlines shouldn't charge passengers who want to bring their animals on board. $200-300 based on weight would cut the silliness.
They do charge honest people. Unfortunately, that would violate the Air Carrier Access Act for the "emotionally unstable". And until someone in Congress gets hurt by one of these animals (physically or financially), nothing will change.
Old May 11, 2017, 8:25 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by eng3
I always wondered what if a person has a dog allergy. Does the dog have to leave or the person with the allergy? or both?
I've wondered this too. I am allergic. My assumption is they would offer to reseat me in an E- middle because people now think dogs have rights and fake emotional support animals are now on par with actual service animals. I've been next to a real service dog (blind owner) and just gladly sniffled through for a 1 hour flight (with a super polite owner and dog), but I've complained when someone started passing their pet around the cabin (and received many dirty looks and a "oh, but she's so cute!" from the FA).

Hoping the DOT closes this crazy loophole. I've now twice seen people leave their dog's mess in the terminal and get upset when people complained; certainly not something a real service animal would do.
Old May 11, 2017, 8:34 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Frankly, I think in a lot of cases it is less to do with the fee and more to do with being able to bring an oversized dog into the cabin rather than being forced to check it in. I see a lot of posts here about people going the fake service dog route because they don't want Fido to have to fly in the hold. It's the only way to get their larger dogs into the cabin.
Old May 11, 2017, 8:38 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
As this is not specific to United, I'm going to move it to TravelBuzz.

l'etoile
UA moderator
Old May 11, 2017, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by transportprof
And if you think the lavatories are unsanitary now, just wait until they become animal relief stations as well.

There should be a prize on FT for the first snapshot of some pax leading their emotional support dog in/out of the lav.
There's currently a thread about a pet dog using the lav in the Travel with Pets forum. One FT'er insists other pax won't mind the dog in the lav despite airline regs clearly stating it must remain in its carrier throughout the flight.

Guaranteed I would mind using the lav after a dog pee'd on the floor!
Old May 11, 2017, 10:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
As a dog owner, I have a lot of sympathy for dogs that drool on fellow passengers and also passengers who have allergies to dog fur and smell.

I have dogs but have never taken them into a cabin as much as I would like to because it would not be fair on fellow passengers. Unless I have bought the whole row for myself and the dog, I would not want to subject a passenger to sitting next to me and my dog because it would not be fair to them if they had to.

As much as I know my dogs are friendly, dog's are dog's and can react without even their master's realizing to something they are not used to or comfortable with outside of the home or garden.

Last edited by wolf72; May 12, 2017 at 12:52 am
Old May 11, 2017, 11:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
I'm a dog lover but I think its ridiculous that they let these big dogs in the cabin. Purely from a safety aspect, I wouldn't want one of them flying through the air and hitting someone. If it was a Cavalier King Charles or a Pug then its not much of an issue.

The fee system is also stupid. The honest people pay hundreds of dollars to fly their dog and the fakers pay nothing.
Old May 12, 2017, 12:53 am
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Originally Posted by reclusive46
I'm a dog lover but I think its ridiculous that they let these big dogs in the cabin. Purely from a safety aspect, I wouldn't want one of them flying through the air and hitting someone. If it was a Cavalier King Charles or a Pug then its not much of an issue.

The fee system is also stupid. The honest people pay hundreds of dollars to fly their dog and the fakers pay nothing.
Agreed. But people being people...there will always be those who will take full advantage.
Old May 12, 2017, 5:15 am

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Depends on the size of your lap.

So you got the whole thing wrong, it seems. The dog had an emotional support homo sapiens.

Can my wife be my emotional support homo sapiens and sit on my lap for free? We have a yellow vest and a sharpie.

haha wonderful
Old May 12, 2017, 6:18 am

"Can my wife be my emotional support homo sapiens and sit on my lap for free? We have a yellow vest and a sharpie."

Try, if that big dog can sit for free, I see no reasons why your wife can't ( and I assume she doesn't drool, is toilet trained and won't bite if someone annoys her.)
Old May 12, 2017, 8:07 am

I think emotional support animals should have the same oversight as real Service dogs.
Just get rid of the ESA concept, so that airlines can ban them from the cabin accordingly.

A service dog should be able to travel in the cabin. A large untrained pet should not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.