Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Carrying more than 2L of personal care items/medicinal creams/lotions in checked bag?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Carrying more than 2L of personal care items/medicinal creams/lotions in checked bag?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2015, 12:42 am
Original Poster

Question Carrying more than 2L of personal care items/medicinal creams/lotions in checked bag?

Hi guys,
so I'll be traveling pretty soon and I noticed that there seems to be a 2000ml limit for personal care items.

I will be bringing with me two 18oz bottles of alcohol-free mouthwash, one 16oz bottle of pepto-bismol (i've got a bad stomach), one 10oz bottle of contact lens solution, 6oz of medicinal creams (prep-h... I know... and lotrimin), and 11oz of toiletries (including sunscreen, moisturizer, and acne cream).

Which brings to the grand total of 79oz. (2336ml)

So I'm 336ml overboard... and my 3-1-1 bag is full and has no more room for additional liquids.

Will TSA give me a hard time with this?
Is there an exception to the medical creams that won't count against the limit?
What are your experiences?

Thank you very much in advance.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 1:05 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Why do you need all of this or, better yet, why would you want to carry it with you? Why not buy mouthwash when you get to where you are going. Same with the Pepto Bismol. You should probably get a travel-sized bottle of contact lens solution as well.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 1:09 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Mouthwash? Pepto? Sunscreen? Contact solution? Where the heck are you going that you can't just get many of those things on the road? If not, can't you just cut down to one bottle of mouthwash and either buy some on the road or cut it a bit with water once in awhile to stretch it? Losing 18oz would solve your problem.

EDIT: Typing at the same time. Great minds and all that.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 3:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Why do you need all of this or, better yet, why would you want to carry it with you? Why not buy mouthwash when you get to where you are going. Same with the Pepto Bismol. You should probably get a travel-sized bottle of contact lens solution as well.
So a few items are for my parents and a few items are for my sister.

The mouthwash (alcohol-free) are for my parents.

The prep-h, peptobismol, and lotrimin are for my sister.

Now that I think about it, I could just buy the contact lens solution over there.

The rest of the stuff is very hard to find in my destination.

Last edited by LostinCalifornia; Nov 26, 2015 at 3:11 am
Old Nov 26, 2015, 3:14 am
Suspended

Then put it in your checked baggage.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 3:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Then put it in your checked baggage.
Checked baggage is what I was talking about (I pointed it out in the thread's title)

According to AA:
You can travel with personal items as checked baggage if:

You have no more than 70 ounces in total
Each container has no more than 16 fluid ounces
Just wondering if the medical creams would add to the 70oz limit.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 3:50 am
Suspended

Sorry, missed that. I doubt anyone would pick up on that, but these days you don't know whether the big bottles of mouthwash may look suspicious.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 3:51 am
formerly mattking2000

Programs: BA|AC|AZ|SPG|H|FPC
Originally Posted by dkim
Checked baggage is what I was talking about (I pointed it out in the thread's title)

According to AA:

Just wondering if the medical creams would add to the 70oz limit.
I've checked full suitcases of wine (>10 standard bottles) before. However, this was on UA, so I'm not sure it applies to AA as well. Hope this helps somewhat.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 5:11 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
I've never heard of a 2L limit on liquids in checked bags

and I frequently travel with up to a case of wine, either in a wine carrier or stashed in my suitcase. Never had a problem on any airline, including AA.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 5:52 am

Programs: UA Plat (former 1K)

also, pepto bismol (or pharmacy equivalent) also come in little pink pills - more convenient (and lighter) for travel than liquid
Old Nov 26, 2015, 5:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by poverty.jet.set
also, pepto bismol (or pharmacy equivalent) also come in little pink pills - more convenient (and lighter) for travel than liquid
The pills are also more pleasant to take.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 7:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by dkim
I will be bringing with me two 18oz bottles of alcohol-free mouthwash, one 16oz bottle of pepto-bismol (i've got a bad stomach), one 10oz bottle of contact lens solution, 6oz of medicinal creams (prep-h... I know... and lotrimin), and 11oz of toiletries (including sunscreen, moisturizer, and acne cream)....Will TSA give me a hard time with this?
Yes. You will have wasted your time waiting on the TSA line only to be told that you'll need to check the bag with the bottles or throw them out.

So don't waste this time and just check in that bag initially. You will have to do that anyway if you want those liquids. Also, pepto bismol liquid? Unnecessary. Buy the chewable tablets which work quickly or capsules one can swallow.

Is there an exception to the medical creams that won't count against the limit? What are your experiences?
I've never had an issue with any kind of lotion/cream at LGA or JFK. At EWR and most other US airports, they wouldn't pass the TSA.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 8:13 am
Suspended

It's already in a checked bag. I made that mistake too!
Old Nov 26, 2015, 9:10 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond-Marriott Platinum-life

If in checked bag as stated no issue
Old Nov 26, 2015, 10:12 am

Programs: AA
Are folks even reading what the OP posted? Maybe I'm the one misunderstanding. If so, forgive me. But it's pretty clear that the OP is talking about liquids in checked baggage.

The cited rule was:

You can travel with personal items as checked baggage if:

You have no more than 70 ounces in total
Each container has no more than 16 fluid ounces

Why is everyone giving advice about avoiding hassles in the TSA line and so forth?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.