Search

Middle seat etiquette - bathroom breaks

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2015, 8:36 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
Except for the DVT this is my MO

Originally Posted by travelmad478
I do have blood clotting issues and, while fanatical about booking aisle seats, occasionally get stuck in a middle due to IRROPS. When that happens I warn the aisle person that I am going to get up every hour ...
I let the aisle pax know that I will need to use the restroom often.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 10:45 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by ou81two
Etiquette is a vague term. Just do whatever suits you. You have to go you have to go. If it bothers the person in the aisle, they can always switch with you.
When it comes to bathroom, absolutely go whenever you need. If you know in advance you have to get up all the time, by all means either book an aisle seat or if you can't a little politeness goes a long way. "Normally I book the aisle, but I couldn't get one, just a heads up I'm gonna be kinda up and down a lot, just wanted to let you know". Ball is in my court now, either I switch (which I won't) or I begrudgingly accept it and since you were nice about it, in turn I have to be as well.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by drvannostren
When it comes to bathroom, absolutely go whenever you need. If you know in advance you have to get up all the time, by all means either book an aisle seat or if you can't a little politeness goes a long way. "Normally I book the aisle, but I couldn't get one, just a heads up I'm gonna be kinda up and down a lot, just wanted to let you know". Ball is in my court now, either I switch (which I won't) or I begrudgingly accept it and since you were nice about it, in turn I have to be as well.
Why not just switch, since you aren't thrilled about getting up for someone else and presumably aren't getting up much yourself? Especially in J or F?
Old Nov 23, 2015, 11:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
It's not often I get a middle seat. If it's a short-haul flight I just try to use the bathroom before getting on-board. If it's a long-haul then I let the aisle passenger next to me know that I might be getting up a few times. I also try to do what someone up thread mentioned - if the aisle seat person is headed to the bathroom then I try to go then too.

If I'm the person in the aisle seat & someone in middle or window wants to get out I stand up & move into the aisle so they can get out w/o having to crawl over me (this is assuming it's not a red-eye & I'm awake).

One time I was in a window seat trans-con because of a flight delay/my C class seat/plane had already departed & I got the last seat on last flight of the day. I mentioned to the 2 seatmates that I have a tendency to use the bathroom a lot, so I gave them each a free drink cert to make up for the inconvenience.

Cheers. Sharon
Old Nov 23, 2015, 12:18 pm

Programs: BA GfL
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I mentioned to the 2 seatmates that I have a tendency to use the bathroom a lot, so I gave them each a free drink cert to make up for the inconvenience.
Presumably that would have also made them get up once or twice more than they normally would have, so you could take advantage of the opportunity
Old Nov 23, 2015, 12:48 pm

Programs: DL Silver
I think letting them know you will be getting up a lot is more than enough. I usually try to just climb over in the most stealth way possible without waking aisle up.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 1:13 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Presumably that would have also made them get up once or twice more than they normally would have, so you could take advantage of the opportunity
Actually it just meant they got to order wine or hard drink vs. the free soda they probably would have. I did consider asking for my drink chit back when the person in the middle seat opened up the food she obviously made at home to eat on board that smelled atrocious!

Cheers. Sharon
Old Nov 23, 2015, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by squeakr
I let the aisle pax know that I will need to use the restroom often.
I would rather have this upon departure than the aggressive finger poking or elbowing I've received from some. That's nearly been enough to start a fight. I get that the middle or window passenger may need to use the can during the flight, but no need to get physical about it.

And I'm always amused by the folks who watch me unpack my laptop and work materials and set them up on the tray table and wait 3 minutes and then say "excuse me. I need to use the bathroom." Really? You couldn't say that before I spread everything out? Oh well.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 7:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dchristiva
I would rather have this upon departure than the aggressive finger poking or elbowing I've received from some. That's nearly been enough to start a fight. I get that the middle or window passenger may need to use the can during the flight, but no need to get physical about it.

And I'm always amused by the folks who watch me unpack my laptop and work materials and set them up on the tray table and wait 3 minutes and then say "excuse me. I need to use the bathroom." Really? You couldn't say that before I spread everything out? Oh well.
Usually a seatbelt sign is to blame here.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
It's only decent to extend extra courtesy to the poor person in the middle seat. It's guaranteed they did not want to be there.

Also, if someone is a heavy sleeper on an overnight flight and really does not want to be disturbed, they would be well advised to pick a window seat.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 4:53 pm

Programs: AS
As a frequent lav visitor, when I fly economy I prefer the aisle seat. I feel that it's best to discuss such issues at the start of the flight before the situation arises. Like someone said earlier, if the aisle person goes, you go right after. If they don't go, well at least you are aware of what to do if you do need to go.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by drvannostren
....don't sleep on planes?

I swear I SEE a plane and I get tired.
That's 2 of us. I have a hard time *not* sleeping on a plane. The drone of the engine is kind of like white noise. I've fallen asleep on 30 minute flights on a float plane.

I have some sympathy for those who can't sleep. I'd help you, but (...yaaaaaaaaaawn...), oh well. G'night!

I do have blood clotting issues and, while fanatical about booking aisle seats, occasionally get stuck in a middle due to IRROPS. When that happens I warn the aisle person that I am going to get up every hour and explain the medical rationale. If they want to sleep, they can either switch seats with me or get woken up. I'm not going to risk another DVT...
If I were in economy in an aisle seat and the middle seat guy told me he was getting up once an hour to exercise I'd tell him "Good luck". It's one thing when nature calls. It's another when you're making a deliberate decision to get up.

If your medical condition is that serious either book F or in case of IRROPS and you can't get an aisle seat, wait for the next flight. Yeah, I know that sounds heartless and rude, but so does what you say you're doing. It isn't the aisle seat passengers fault you have whatever medical condition you have. Don't make him pay for it.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 5:36 pm

Programs: BA GfL
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
If I were in economy in an aisle seat and the middle seat guy told me he was getting up once an hour to exercise I'd tell him "Good luck". It's one thing when nature calls. It's another when you're making a deliberate decision to get up.

If your medical condition is that serious either book F or in case of IRROPS and you can't get an aisle seat, wait for the next flight. Yeah, I know that sounds heartless and rude, but so does what you say you're doing. It isn't the aisle seat passengers fault you have whatever medical condition you have. Don't make him pay for it.
Um, no. So, you're OK getting up because your seatmate wants to have 5 beers during a flight, but not because she is at risk of death through no fault of her own? Here's a tip: suck it up. I do, in fact, book F for flights longer than 4 hours. It's not such a hardship for you to get up 2-3 times during a flight. When I sit in an aisle seat, which is 99% of the time, I could care less why (or how often) anyone wants me to get up and let them out.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 8:45 pm

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Um, no. So, you're OK getting up because your seatmate wants to have 5 beers during a flight, but not because she is at risk of death through no fault of her own? Here's a tip: suck it up. I do, in fact, book F for flights longer than 4 hours. It's not such a hardship for you to get up 2-3 times during a flight. When I sit in an aisle seat, which is 99% of the time, I could care less why (or how often) anyone wants me to get up and let them out.
This.

The folks who want to sit undisturbed in an aisle seat should feel free to buy a bulkhead aisle in F; or better yet, fly an airline with suites in F.

Or hang around the airport and wait for a flight that isn't as full. Or buy the entire row.

If I'm in my favorite aisle seat, don't give it a second thought. If I'm asleep, climb over me or wake me up, whatever you feel most comfortable with. I don't care if you have on-going medical problems, got food poisoning last night, like to drink a few on the plane, need or want to get up once an hour to stretch your legs. It's all the same to me.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 5:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tchiowa

And you need an aisle seat why? By the way, as I found out on the trip that prompted this question, there are limited seats on certain routes. Waiting wasn't an option. Buying F wasn't an option. If someone's going to park himself in an aisle seat and not move for 12+ hours, there's really no reason he needs an aisle seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.