Destinations by California Vacation Holding Group

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2015, 11:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum

We went to a sales presentation at California Vacation Club Riverpointe Napa Valley earlier this week. First thing stated was that this is not a timeshare sales presentation - all the timeshares are sold out.

Next thing they talked about the destinations program by California Vacation Holding Group.

I went through the presentation - basically the program is getting wholesale prices for travel booking - eg airfares, hotels, cruises etc. They stated closest analogy is Costco for household goods.

Anyone have experience with this program.

I went to a presentation on Tues - I was able to get 3 days before making up my mind and buying into the program at the discount offered at the sales presentation.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 9:20 am

Programs: Delta Kryptonium
For me, it doesn't pass the "smell test". Also, if it was such a great deal don't you think there would be chatter all over FT?
Old Sep 3, 2015, 10:18 am

Programs: AA gold, DL Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat
You may want to read some of the complaints on BBB including this one from 8/5/2015:

Complaint
We were robbed!
We went to Napa for a timeshare presentation, ended up signing up for the vacation package. We were very happy and excited to start our timeshare ownership. We started making payments on the plan and somewhere around the 4th or 5th payment they charged our account twice. We called and the gave us a credit. The next month it happened again! They corrected and by this time our bank was not going to accept anymore charges from them. In the meantime they changed finance companies and now I don't know where to send the money. I finally received a statement and when I called to make a payment they told me I did not have an account!!! What !!?? At this point they had over $1100 of ours and now we don't have an account? I can not make a payment and they have just taken our money and will not call us back! We have called numerous times and have received a voice mail every time. I just want to cancel this and get our money back! WE are looking into legal counsel and Call Curtis to report these crooks!

Desired Settlement
I would like to be refunded the money we paid you people for nothing !

Or this one from 5/21/2015:
Complaint
Unable to successfully make vacation plans for >1 mo. Agents don't get back to me and not helpful. Even asked to speak to manager 2 X-no response
Booked a cruise in Jan. 2015 without difficulty. However, only saved about $200 from the cruise line price. Was told at time of sale of vacation club that we could get cruises for as much as 1/3 to 1/2 the advertised price. Then asked to look up Mediterranean Cruises for April-May,2015 and get back to me. Agent never did.
Then on 3/25/15 called, spoke to ***** and asked to go to England (close to London as possible) for our one week complimentary condo week as new members. Said she would call back in 1-2 days. She never did. Called her on 4/1/15 and she had not done anything, but said she would email me possibilities. In 2 days she sent hotel listings only. When emailed her back and said exactly what I wanted, no response. Talked to ******* on 4/6/15 who said she would have ***** call me back same day. She emailed me instead with reason and said no condos in London but did not offer help to get one close by in England (which is what I requested). I think she was avoiding talking to me. Then emailed her back with exactly what I was looking for again and have not heard from her since. On 4/10/15, called and talked to ***** who tried to explain the system and said she would call back with info on condos. Also asked to speak to manager at that time, but not available. ***** said she would leave the message and have manager get back to me. No response from either ***** or manager. Called again on 4/17/15 and spoke to ***** and said she was trying to help me but basically nothing available in England. Asked her to try Ireland. She said she would and get back to me by 4/20/15 and have manager call back. He/she did not. I also tried to call our sales resort River Pointe in Napa, CA, left message twice and no response from them. Every other number listed on information about the vacation club ( like how to redeem free week certificate) goes to same switchboard where *****, *****, etc work - so no help. Even a local call to our "personal concierge" stated that his mailbox is full and could not leave a message. What kind of business is that! Called the main number on 4/22/15 and asked to speak to *****. Person put me into her voicemail right away. Again, I think they do not want to talk to me. And, 2 hours later, she has not called me back.
Note: My first call to this vacation club in Jan. 2015 was to get information about how to navigate the system she just led me to what exists online. I had already looked at that and wanted a more thorough explanation. She did to do that , just wanted to know what reservations I wanted to make. She was not helpful. I want to plan at least 2-3 vacations for the summer and fall and can not get anywhere. They are supposed to be a vacation club and help you plan your vacation, but are worse than a travel agent. And, they do not follow up on anything. It has taken a month for me to try to plan one vacation and still haven't gotten anywhere!!!

Desired Settlement
I would like to speak to a manager, and to have someone conscientiously work with me to book a reasonable vacation considering my desires in a reasonable amount of time ( preferable within the next week).

I would also like to find out if there is any way I can get a refund on our purchase of this vacation club, since none of the stated benefits have been accessible to us
Old Sep 3, 2015, 10:40 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
https://www.trustlink.org/Review/Cal...roup-LLC-84130 gives you a little more context - apparently you'd receive access to a booking web site called "West Coast Escapes". A bit of brief Google shows it to be more or less a scam - most people posting about it are unhappy with their purchase.

One site lists a laundry list of various associated companies, all at the same address and sharing management:

http://www.corporationwiki.com/Flori...89-a48539.aspx

It all seems to point back to Reservation Services International as the actual provider of services...

..which in turn lets us unearth this warning from the Connecticut Attorney General's office, which was investigating them in 2013.

http://www.ct.gov/ag/cwp/view.asp?Q=526092&A=2341

Based on all of this, it's pretty clear you should absolutely not sign up for a membership with this company.

An added warning: some discussions I turned up indicated that the initial price is multiple thousands of dollars, but if you decline they'll contact you a few weeks later claiming you won a "drawing" and that you can have a membership for a $400 initiation fee. No, you didn't actually win - this is just an attempt to get you to sign on at a lower price if the initial one was above your cost tolerance level. It isn't a good deal, even at that price, and may obligate you to ongoing maintenance fees as well.

Just my $0.02.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

at best, these things charge for things that are free

sometimes they are rental brokers, for example
Old Sep 3, 2015, 2:47 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
This sort of thing just sounds like a scam and I would never sign up to pay serious $$ for anything like it. Even so, I appreciate the legwork done by BenA and PilgrimsProgress, above, to document the company's poor record.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 7:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
I appreciate the responses.

Of note, they claim 550,000 members to this program.

The cost to sign on with the program is a little less than $18,000; annual fees are just under $400.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 1:50 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
550,000 members at $18k per member multiplies out to just under $10 billion in revenue. To put that in perspective, that's equal to the amount of revenue that Starwood Hotels (Westin, Sheraton, W, etc.) receives in an entire year. If these folks really had a business of that size (even spread over many years), they would be a major player in the hospitality industry.

And assuming 300 million people as the U.S. population, that would mean 1 in 550 is a member of their program - on average likely twice that once you factor in family units. If 1 in 300 people were a member, you'd think we would have much more information about them than a couple shady BBB posts on Google.

I think neither of those comparisons seems reasonable, so... Either they lied about the member count - in which case, they shouldn't be trusted - or everyone else is paying dramatically less - in which case you should stay far away from this company.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 7:21 am
Original Poster

I suspect all CVC timeshare members are by default, members of this program and therefore do not have to pay the registration fees.

Another thing they state in terms of savings:

if one owns a timeshare- one pays maintenance fees and taxes -I pay about $5000/year for 3 timeshares. `they say that through the program, you may pay a certain amount for staying at the same type of unit in the same timeshare for the same period of time - but it will be likely less than the maintenance fees. So from my perspective, if I signed in, I would recoup my registration fee in 4 years or so - by deferring the payment of the maintencance fees.

But then I would be paying these wholesale room rates to stay in these timeshares, which I need not do now.

They also offer to buy the timeshares, at a re-sale purchase cost. So a 4 bedroom Westgate Lakes unit will get me $3500; a 5000 points in the Hawai collection of Diamond Resorts International will get me $4500.

But this thread has convinced me that I will not buy into this program.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.