Reload this Page >

Shoe etiquette on the longest of long hauls

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Shoe etiquette on the longest of long hauls

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2015, 7:35 pm

My feet are freezing in just socks -- I've stashed slippers in my carry on.

I've stopped doing this, however, since one long haul (east coast US to west coast Australia) where my feet swelled up like balloons and took two full days to deflate. Since then, I wear compression socks and keep my sneakers on.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 8:23 pm

Feet swelling is a problem for me, too, as well as keeping warm. I've taken to putting on ballerina Crocs with my socks on the plane. To those who hate the sandals with socks look, that's beyond tacky I'm sure.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No socks with sandals. Slip on loafers.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 12:06 am

Originally Posted by Tizzette
Feet swelling is a problem for me, too, as well as keeping warm. I've taken to putting on ballerina Crocs with my socks on the plane. To those who hate the sandals with socks look, that's beyond tacky I'm sure.
What I learned on FT today:
- ballerina Crocs exist
- judging by the pictures, they don't scream, "CROCS!"

I can tell from your comment you're terribly concerned about this issue , but really, if you're wearing them with socks that are long enough that they're covered by your pants/skirt/dress/etc., no one will notice or care. Well, maybe they'll notice and care if they're white tube socks.

I like those little footie things for wearing flats, but they don't add much warmth.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 6:11 am

Crocs styles have come a long way in passing for regular shoes, but not far enough for when wearing the right thing matters. Beware getting used to the comfort, nothing else compares.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 3:45 pm

I absolutely fly in my slippers if I am traveling a warm destination. I have very good foot hygiene so it's fine. I think you are too paranoid if you are avoiding it because of all the "burning plane" nonsense. You are more likely to get run over by a car while walking on a sidewalk in your shoes than die in a plane fire in your slippers.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by B747-437B
Certainly, it isn't your most important task but if you had to carry any single item with you during an evacuation, that is near the top of the list.
I keep my passport, phone, and wallet on my person in zippered pockets in flight. I'm more concerned about them being stolen or accidentally lost than not having them in the case of an accident, but it would help.

As an aside, I found a lost passport my most recent flight* and turned it in to the cabin crew. Someone had let hers get stuck between the seat and the armrest.

(* domestic, earlier today; the boarding pass tucked in the passport was somewhere to ORD, and my flight was out of DFW, so it was probably not even from the immediate preceding leg. Hope she gets it back! )

--

As for the original question, on longer flights I fly in sneakers and socks, and take the sneakers off as soon as the 10,000 foot buzzer goes off. For short domestic ones, I wear the same sport sandals that are my regular day to day footwear. Yes, in theory they won't protect my feet as well in a crash, but in practice that's a seriously low-probability event whereas over-warm feet is an inevitability.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.