Wiki Posts
Search

FF's: Do you have amateur moments?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2015, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by burbuja0512
At this point, I'm sure it's totally psychological. Perhaps performance anxiety?
"Yes, Mr TSO, that is a bottle of water in my pocket and I'm happy to see you!"

I'm also guilty of the AB-EF switch. I usually sit on the left side of the plane, so on the occasion that I'm in EF, I tend to mess up.

Mike
Old Aug 7, 2015, 1:31 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AA Platinum, SPG Platinum, National Emerald Elite

Occasionally I've sat on the front side of the aisle. Weird to get corrected by Ma and Pa Kettle.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 3:48 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Wrong gate at the wrong end of the terminal
Right seat/wrong row, or wrong seat/right row
Wrong bag at baggage claim
Left for an overseas trip and left passport at home (wife called when I was <10 min out, so had time to come back and get it)
Old Aug 7, 2015, 5:24 pm

Programs: National Executive, Hertz Five Star, Hilton Diamond, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by krlcomm
Why is it so hard to be prepared to go through security, especially when you do it very regularly and know exactly what to expect when you get there? I don't get that and never will.
This past weekend I flew out of a small airport that only opens TSA an hour before the flight. One guy who pretended to not speak English stood right in front of the beginning of the line for 30 minutes before TSA opened, then proceeded to hold up the line for 10 minutes taking his boots and belt off, then digging his liquids out of his bag.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 7:26 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, IHG Gold, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite

I've left on an multi night business trip and left all of my dress shirts and slacks at home. Didn't even get them out of the closet. Worst part was I was congratulating myself for packing so light as I left the house.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
I've tried to board the wrong flight more than once; just on autopilot and walking up to a gate I think is for my flight without checking the board. I've also sat in the wrong seat (most often I am on the wrong side of the aisle).
Wrong gate? Yep, add me to the club.

Amateur hour at the airport is in my future. The baby is ready to start travelling. First flight with a independent toddler in tow will make me a rookie again.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I can never find the fast pass entry at Sydney Airport. I'm always getting the ends mixed up!
Old Aug 7, 2015, 8:25 pm
Suspended

Took the wrong bag at SIN. It was identical to mine. Didn't realise until I opened it at the hotel. Luckily was able to retrieve mine from the airport and didn't meet the irate "swappee".
Old Aug 7, 2015, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Sure:

On two tickets I managed to book the LH leg x Frankfurt for the same day I was leaving ORD instead of the following day. Last minute tickets are expensive!!

I realized this when I couldn't check in for the LH flight (which had already left) as I was about to leave my house and in my panicked state left half my luggage behind.

Just recently while boarding I loudly said to someone who I thought was butting in line "we're all in line here" when he was right and I was in the wrong line. Then upon boarding he was in the seat next to me. I apologized and he was good about it.

In a jet lagged haze we walked right past the TK lounge in IST and finally had to pop into the Saudia lounge to ask. The speed of the response made it clear that we weren't the first

I once booked a hotel room for the right day but the wrong month.

Not me, I swear, but I was standing behind someone in the rental car line to hear "Sir, you need to understand, we can't rent you a car because you didn't return the last one." I have, however, almost left a car behind at a hotel when I forgot I'd driven there.

I once got back to a massive multilevel car park in Frankfurt and realized I had no idea where I'd parked the car. Not which floor, not which wing, nada. It was also a rental I'd picked up in the dark and didn't even know what color it was. Walking around and hitting the button on the remote until I heard a beep was the only way I found it.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 10:17 pm

Reading some of the comments in this thread makes me think that the posters actually are amateurs and aren't just having 'moments'.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 10:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Was at YOW arguing with an agent going...where's the lounge?? I was sure it was down there. Reply, no no sir, it's back over there. I'm like, NO, it's over there!! Why isn't it there???

Then it dawned on me. I thought I was at YUL but I was at YOW.

[fricking fail]
Old Aug 8, 2015, 11:46 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Hite
I've left on an multi night business trip and left all of my dress shirts and slacks at home. Didn't even get them out of the closet. Worst part was I was congratulating myself for packing so light as I left the house.
Never that bad, lol, but I can't even begin to count the number of times I've forgotten to pack my dress belt (I have so many cheap belts, including one from K-Mart) or necktie.

And once, a year out of college, traveled to a wedding out of town and realized I left my dress shoes at home. Spent $25 on a cheapo pair from Payless that ended up being quite comfortable and durable. The soles wore out before that plasticky faux leather!
Old Aug 8, 2015, 12:29 pm

Programs: AS-GoldMVP,Hilton, Hyatt, Hertz
Originally Posted by John Isaac
Flopping down in the wrong seat. I am so used to always getting an aisle seat that I forgot this time I didn't. Felt like an idiot when the rightful occupant arrived and asked me to move over.
Lordy, I did this a couple flights ago. I just plopped down in my regular window seat only to discover that I didn't have that seat this time........so embarrassing.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH SEN, EK ex-Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by John Isaac
Flopping down in the wrong seat. I am so used to always getting an aisle seat that I forgot this time I didn't. Felt like an idiot when the rightful occupant arrived and asked me to move over.
I actually do that a LOT. I always book window seats on the F/K side. Once in a while I'm in A, though, if F/K wasn't available. But my autopilot always sends me to the F/K side. "No, I'm in 2F as as well" - look at BP - oops.

On international flights that's never a problem, though, the FAs tend to look at the BP and show me to my seat.

Oh, and I've booked tickets for the wrong month on a couple of occasions.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 2:51 pm

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
This was just last night.

I decided to check out my Las Vegas folder last night to make sure of the dates so I could book a show we wanted to see. I had just looked last week to make sure I had booked a flight, saw the flight with hotel reservations along with reservation status of family meeting us, so there was the flight I thought I had not booked.

So last night I look at the Mirage dates to book a show, then glance at the flight and OH CRAP, it was the flight from our last Las Vegas trip. I quickly booked a flight, shredded old flight, then decided the tickets I was going to buy didn't have the seats we would want.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.